• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why you should never use disc golf scene ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the paypal vs Innova (Disc Golf United) arguement -who is more likely to be accountable - that's an easy answer.

I'm confused about this. Are you saying that Paypal isn't going to get you your money at all? Because there's a huge difference between placing a temporary hold on a transaction and you never seeing the money. The examples I offered about DGU put those TDs in the exact situation you are in (having to front money you expected to have in hand before your event). DGU came through and the TDs got their funds in the end. The same is going to happen with Paypal. How that translates to one site being labeled as unusable and the other getting heaped with praise seems hypocritical to me.

I sympathize with your situation, but I think you're being overly emotional because of the immediacy of the situation. DGS and DGU have both been operating for years. Both sites are good but neither are immune to the occasional snafu. Neither is going to hinder (or speed up) the future growth of the sport.

DGU collects the money and gives it to you. It is a disc golf company. It makes human mistakes - sure.

Disc golf scene put the onus on you and has zero control over the payment process. Disc golf scene likes the word "unfortunate" as in sorry your SOL. Disc golf scene refers problems with monetary issues to paypal. Disc Golf United deals with it and stands accountable.

There is a clear delineation there.

It is silly to think no clear accountability is better then simple accountability. It is also silly to think new players, new organizations and new organizers are better off with disc golf scene then disc golf united. There is a clear difference in between the two.

Why risk having to fund a tournament out of your own pocket betting on paypal when you can bet on a more accountable disc company that understands the issues and has a history and commitment to growing the sport.

I would never send a new organizer, TD or organization to disc golf scene. You shouldn't either.

Last edited:
Again I'll ask, do you honestly think that Paypal will not pay you the money you're owed? Because that's the only situation I can envision where you're going to be worse off than going with someone else that is what you call more "accountable". Being in a situation where you must front money to fund a tournament out of your own pocket is something that can AND HAS happened with DGU, too. It's not solely a Paypal thing as you seem to want to paint it. DGU came through with the money in the end, even if it was late. So will Paypal.

As for recommending DGS, yes I will absolutely positively continue to recommend it to TDs and organizers, new and old. I'll weigh the thousands of perfectly successful transactions they've completed over the isolated incident like yours. Just as I do in recommending DGU to people despite the few situations I'm aware of where TDs got left (temporarily) in the lurch by a financial snafu.

I think they will pay but it might take months and while I have asked about the exact payment process 10 or more times I still don't have a good answer.

And again there is a clear difference - disc golf scene isn't responsible for payment issues. Disc Golf United is.

It's really that simple! One is user friendly the other is not.

I would never send a new organizer, TD or organization to disc golf scene. You shouldn't either.

I think they will pay but it might take months and while I have asked about the exact payment process 10 or more times I still don't have a good answer.

And again there is a clear difference - disc golf scene isn't responsible for payment issues. Disc Golf United is.

In your first post, you say they put the transactions on a 21-day hold. 21 days doesn't equal months. It sucks in the short term, but you're not going to be out anything in the long run.

For what it's worth, I've had Paypal put funds in a 21-day hold for transactions on ebay. Never failed to get those funds within 21 days, usually sooner. And once the account had handled enough successful transactions to meet whatever their thresholds are, the holds went away and everything has been instantaneous since. Going on 10 years of doing all of my internet sales transactions (goods and tournament registrations) through Paypal without a hitch.

By my way of thinking the PDGA decision to purchase Disc Golf Scene was crazy stupid. If you want new TDs and Tournaments and Organizations there are better ways.

Again, If you want new TDs and Tournaments and Organizations there are better ways.

I am now on my 6th case and 24th phone call. Take it from me, do not use disc golf scene.

If you have a choice - don't use disc golf scene and tell your PDGA rep., this isn't good for the sport.

If you want new TDs and Tournaments and Organizations there are better ways.

The PDGA had to know this a few weeks ago when they bought this product. I don't get it.

Disc golf scene puts the onus on you and if you are a new TD, organization or tournament you are taking a huge risk!

Disc Golf Scene sends the responsibility to the user and says "that's unfortunate" when it goes wrong. You want to grow the sport - tell people to use disc golf united!

Who can tell: and in the end - it's not worth the risk. I'll never use it again and if you are smart you will consider what I am saying.

This business with Disc Golf Scene is bad business and the facts support what I am saying. Saying I'm throwing salt is bad form in face of facts.

You want new organizers, new TDs and new organizations to go down this road? That's nuts ...

So, I'm sticking to my guns - don't ever use Disc Golf Scene unless you can fund it yourself while you wait for mystery policy from a megalith corporation who doesn't even know what disc golf is. Is it really worth the risk?

It is also silly to think new players, new organizations and new organizers are better off with disc golf scene then disc golf united.

Why risk having to fund a tournament out of your own pocket betting on paypal when you can bet on a more accountable disc company that understands the issues and has a history and commitment to growing the sport.

Conversation sounds more like a chatbot with the constant rehashing of the same thing over and over and over and over again. :wall:

Rant ended... lesson learned :)

If only you had been honest in your very first post. :thmbdown:

Hopefully you are right but the policy I'm being quoted doesn't jive with that. I am a former network admin so I'm no tech dummy and I'm befuddled why the PDGA went with this solution. It's crazy to leave responsibility for one of the most important parts of organizing to paypal.

Again, there is a clear difference - disc golf scene isn't responsible for payment issues. Disc Golf United is.

Feh

Conversation sounds more like a chatbot with the constant rehashing of the same thing over and over and over and over again. :wall:

If only you had been honest in your very first post. :thmbdown:

Been honest the whole time silly troll ... i dont own stock in either bigly dude

I am having a whale of a time with paypal and disc golf scene. I have had the paypal account for 12 years but their policy is saying because of limited selling history every transaction has a 21 day hold. There therefore I will be taking 4k out of my bank account while paypal holds these funds, so I can personally fund this event.

Disc Golf United stands in between you and paypal so you don't have these issues. Disc Golf Scene puts the responsibility on the individual. It stinks on ice and they have no other way to collect funds via regular credit card transaction. By my way of thinking the PDGA decision to purchase Disc Golf Scene was crazy stupid. If you want new TDs and Tournaments and Organizations there are better ways. My credit is great and the way this works ignores that.

Rant ended... lesson learned

This thread has served its purpose and is now closed. The OP had an issue with a site and with PayPal. Lessons learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts