• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wierd driving "issue", suggestions?

Knife

Hi!

I couldnt find any similar "issues" during a quick search so here goes:

I've played DG very actively for a year now, before played baseball and such and am very good at throwing naturally. Also 190cm tall helps.

What I cant wrap my head around right now is my drive. It has improved dramaticly in the last 3 months, when I had a workplace accident and had to have knee surgery.

Before the incident my drive was with a bad run up, and a lot of accidental nose ups. Had the common issue where drivers, mids and putters all flew 250-300ft at max. Sometimes had a good release angle and got past 300ft with a ridicilously fast driver (14).

During recovery week from surgery I was putting and reading about form etc. When got back to throwing, had to learn sidearm and do backhand from standstills. And slowly I could get to walk ups and so on, but basicly started all over.

Current situation:
I can consistently throw P2's to 275-300ft.
Mids like MD3 past 300ft, more comfortable with putters though.

With distance drivers my Teebirds, FD's do 350-400ft, and my CD2 does 400-450ft. And it feels effortless. If I think of powering any disc any more, they fly less.

And thats my limit atm. I think ive got a CD3 a bit further but here is the problem. FD's and CD2's give me a super narrow S curve, so I can drive easily through tight gaps. But I havent found anything yet that I can power the same/more and not have them ether turn over completely or be just a 350ft hyzer.

PD's and PD2's I can throw flat straight with a big hyzer fade to 350-400, but cant get them to flex for more distance. DDx goes quite well but still the CD2 flies further, and the DDx tends to turn over too much sometimes and not flex back. Ive tried several DD's and DD2's, new and worn, but they ether become rollers or never flex back from turnover.

So to put it short, I am unable to throw slightly understable/understable wide rim drivers far. Flat release nor hyzer flips. I cant complain throwing fairway drivers past 350-400ft but I just cant understand whats wrong when I use a wide rim driver, except very stable ones like C-Line PD2. Right now I am trying to beat in a PD2 to see if that would do the distance trick, cause I havent found anything out of the box with the right stability.

One of my friends suggested that my release generates a very high spin on the smaller rims and thats why they barely flex/flex super narrow and fly 350-400ft nearly dead straight (given that they are at the stable/understable line) . I can do the same with both a fan and a power grip, though am very consistent with power grip.

I drive with a 4 step "walk up", calmly and effortlessly. If I try to run or move faster it doesnt seem to make any change or just hurt consistancy. Any ideas where I could do wrong or what to look for?

Unlike most posts related to distance issues, I think this one is a disc selection thing and not something you're doing. If you're throwing putters/mids/fairways straight and those distances, then it's just not finding the right driver for your arm speed. It's tricky because slower discs will hold lines really nicely over a wide range of speed, while wide rimmed stuff needs to be going very high speed to show its glide/turn but will fade when slowing down ever so slightly. A disc that turns as much as you want when new is going to lose some fade when it beats in and become too understable.

With the distances you are getting I'd look into a stable to slightly overstable mold, and beat it in for a couple of weeks. That way the HSS will still be mild like a -1 or -2 flight, but the fade will mellow out a touch to gain you probably 20' over when the disc is fresh. If you don't like super wide rims I'd look into something like a Star Wraith (flies like the stability of Destroyers I prefer and feels almost the same) to be like a faster PD with a little more turn and more distance, and maybe a Trespass as a similar type of flight but less ending stability. Both of these should be able to fly straight controlled shots in that 425' range with a mild hyzer release. You could also look into Pro or Gstar Destroyers, but I haven't tried one off the shelf lately so I don't know what stability the current ones start out as....but the stability I'm intending is similar to lots of star Wraiths I have tried, you just get a slightly bigger rim with the Destroyer.

I also throw my putters/mids/fairways similar distance to you and I only see like a 20' gain with distance drivers over a good fairway driver rip myself, sometimes my less stable fairways fly as far as my drivers when I throw my whole bag. Kind of annoying. But I can get more consistent flights out of the more overstable speed 12ish stuff at the same range if there is any wind or I need to hold a reliable line. Although I think it is fun to watch the fairways glide out there.

Maybe you have small hands? I dunno, I wouldn't really complain if I was throwing 450 after knee surgery and only playing a year. Throw 450 and putt well and you're beating 98% of the disc golf community.

I second the wraith suggestion. Something with a little narrower rim that can still go far.

I throw about 400-425' max andI was throwing my Pro Wraith, some Destroyers and a Star Tern on a hyzerflip. I found that I got just as much distance out of the Wraith as I did out of the Star Tern and more than my Destroyers, but I really only have one (PFN, Pre-Avery) that is perfectly seasoned and it is a bit touchy when thrown for max D. A Wraith or a G-DD might work for what you want unless you like big rims then go with a Champ Shryke or Colossus but it all depends on what works for you. Try out others' discs if you can and maybe you can find what works for you.

Latest posts