• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will Brodie Smith be better than Dustin Keegan?

Will Brodie Smith > Dustin Keegan?

• Total voters

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Simple as. Everyone's least favorite Oregonian seems like a nice over/under benchmark. He's currently rated just over 1000 at 1016. Will Brodie surpass this level of disc golf competency this year?

Last edited:
I voted No. I don't think that Brodie will be a scrub, but Keegan had a lot of really good finishes last year. OK, 51st at The Memorial and 83rd at Worlds might not be great showings, but they are respectable and he beat quality players at both events. He finished 38th at the USDGC which is pretty good. These fields were all loaded.

Other than that he didn't finish outside the top 25 in any event, some small and some big. Out of 21 events he had 12 top tens and 2 wins. That seems like a pretty high level of expectation for Brodie in year 1 of his disc golf career. I won't say he won't do it, but I would be (pleasantly) surprised.

Plus maybe Keegan's move to Discmania will motivate him even more.

(Now I know more about Mr. Keegan in five minutes of research than I ever did before. )

Brodie imo will be probably the fastest player to be 1000 rated. He has a frisbee background, pros teaching him and he has a ton of free time to dedicate himself. By this time next year don't be surprised if he's already better than half of the touring pros and coming out with a signature disc.

Quoted from Bro D'S original post....

"Will Brodie surpass this level of disc golf competency this year?"

Raw ability, potentially. His drive to get better, his access to top pros, his background in ultimate, all point to potentially challenging Keegan's game. Consistency is going to be the big question. Who knows when we will even see him play a tournament though. He' made it clear he isn't jumping right in, not until he feels he has all the tools and he can use those tools under pressure, in his words.

His background in ultimate is already helping him. I guess he recorded throwing a midrange 500ft the other day. 2 weeks in and hes already throwing further than I ever will.

His background in ultimate is already helping him. I guess he recorded throwing a midrange 500ft the other day. 2 weeks in and hes already throwing further than I ever will.

That was a driver but still impressive none the less

Really? I thought he said somewhere he wasn't using drivers yet.

For that particular video for his insta, I think it was the last day before he flew to discraft, so Emerson probably had him throw a driver after working with mids and putters the past couple weeks just to see, them they measured it off using u disc and it ended up being 494. Give or take 15ft or so, still about 475

For that particular video for his insta, I think it was the last day before he flew to discraft, so Emerson probably had him throw a driver after working with mids and putters the past couple weeks just to see, them they measured it off using u disc and it ended up being 494. Give or take 15ft or so, still about 475

Or 510'! :D

Which is what, 720' internet distance?

Did someone say 720?

Hawk720.gif

I voted No. I don't think that Brodie will be a scrub, but Keegan had a lot of really good finishes last year. OK, 51st at The Memorial and 83rd at Worlds might not be great showings, but they are respectable and he beat quality players at both events. He finished 38th at the USDGC which is pretty good. These fields were all loaded.

Other than that he didn't finish outside the top 25 in any event, some small and some big. Out of 21 events he had 12 top tens and 2 wins. That seems like a pretty high level of expectation for Brodie in year 1 of his disc golf career. I won't say he won't do it, but I would be (pleasantly) surprised.

Plus maybe Keegan's move to Discmania will motivate him even more.

(Now I know more about Mr. Keegan in five minutes of research than I ever did before. )
This is the in-depth analysis I was hoping to see. The sponsor change could help or hurt, it's hard to say. I guess it depends on your opinions of Discmania (Innova) and Dynamic (Trilogy).

One thing is for certain, Keegan is an Irish name. So he's probably a hopeless alcoholic (probably why he wears the sunglasses all the time, he's hungover). Whereas Smith entails that Brodie probably came from good, Protestant English stock. His work ethic will obviously be higher than Keegan's. :|

This is the in-depth analysis I was hoping to see. The sponsor change could help or hurt, it's hard to say. I guess it depends on your opinions of Discmania (Innova) and Dynamic (Trilogy).

One thing is for certain, Keegan is an Irish name. So he's probably a hopeless alcoholic (probably why he wears the sunglasses all the time, he's hungover). Whereas Smith entails that Brodie probably came from good, Protestant English stock. His work ethic will obviously be higher than Keegan's. :|

Lots of Smith's in Scotland as well. After all, it's a surname taken from a job instead of a single family. Gonna have to do a 23and me to see if he has more Germanic or Celtic DNA. ;)

I think, perhaps other than Kevin Jones, he will be the most athletic player on tour. On the other hand I am not for sure if his mental game will be as sharp as 4 of the top 5 players on tour. He also is racing the clock as he has started the game so late in a professional athletes life.

I don't know how this is going to turn out, but am very interested to see.