• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Windy day: Stay or go?

It is 33 degrees here. 40+ winds and starting to rain. I will stay in today. No rain for tomorrow but still winds predicted. I will be out there tomorrow for sure.

If you have a chance to play DG, take advantage regardless of windy conditions. As others have stated, you'll gain wind experience and its a blast throwing longer than usual drives with tail winds. A few weeks bAck I was playing mt airy and had a tail wind on number 7, tossed an X out BB roc3 on an anhyzer and almost parked the long pin placement. It was a beautiful sight watching the wind push the disc almost to the pin I barely make it pin high on the short pin with a driver 9 put 10 times.

It is 33 degrees here. 40+ winds and starting to rain. I will stay in today. No rain for tomorrow but still winds predicted. I will be out there tomorrow for sure.

The rain would keep me inside too. It's the only thing that keeps me off the course (besides work).

I agree with all the above about the need for windy day experience, especially if you're playing competitively.

But in all honesty, it ain't the wind, it's the cold that keeps me home. As the OP posted mid-thread, 40 mph wind is one thing, but with a daytime high of 33, what's the wind chill? And throw in rain to boot? I'm soft, maybe, but I'm staying in unless it's a tourney I'm pre-registered for.

Part of living in the dirty south, maybe, is struggling with cold.

I usually play with a few exceptions; I don't play in anything over 110F, nor do I play in cold weather. If it is windy, but relatively warm, I will play. If it is a bit rainy I will play. If it a combination of windy, rainy, and cold I will not play.

I agree with all the above about the need for windy day experience, especially if you're playing competitively.

But in all honesty, it ain't the wind, it's the cold that keeps me home. As the OP posted mid-thread, 40 mph wind is one thing, but with a daytime high of 33, what's the wind chill? And throw in rain to boot? I'm soft, maybe, but I'm staying in unless it's a tourney I'm pre-registered for.

Part of living in the dirty south, maybe, is struggling with cold.

33 degrees and 40mph winds? Sounds like it's time for a round on a heavily wooded course...it's all about course selection on a day like that! Again, rain's a no go though.

Ha, where we're at in the Pac NW we get out of there if the winds get going.

Wood comes down!
(often)

smash, bam, pow.

I play for the love of the game and the outdoors. Rainy, windy, cold, snowy, muddy......if you waited for all of these to go away, you would never play in Michigan. Play to have fun, not score well.

I do.

It's good for your game, teaches you ****.

Makes normal conditions feel really easy.

Always a laugh or two to be had at ridiculous shots due to wind.

The winds today are reaching over 40 mph. Planned on going DGing today but the winds have me thinking twice about going. Who really plays in these extreme windy conditions?

I used to play in basically any conditions, save lightning storms.

Now, sometimes a combination of rain and darkness has sometimes kept me away. Or maybe even rain and cold.

Wind alone hasn't stopped me yet.

I do.

Each time you have an opportunity to play in "unique" conditions, you should take it and hopefully learn something that may become useful down the road. :thmbup:
40+ is a lot a bit ridiculous, but playing in adverse conditions in practice will make you better when it counts.

I'm not sure what your local course looks like, but make sure you putt, approach and drive with winds from all directions.

now if i cant make a putt in perfect conditions from 20+ what makes one think ill be able to do it in 40 MPH winds??? lol

i think its a fun way to challenge yourself. practice throwing those firebirds and other discs less effective than a firebird (but are still stable i guess)

and any adverse conditions IE- wind rain snow volcano eruption tsunami alot of rain... will make you a better player when it counts.

get out there and have some fun!

G-PutOnBigGrlPanties.jpg

:p

33 degrees and 40mph winds? Sounds like it's time for a round on a heavily wooded course...it's all about course selection on a day like that! Again, rain's a no go though.

Good point, and heavily wooded we got here in spades...and I played in an Ice bowl on the 17th where the high was maybe 40, and 20+ gusts. I had windburn like a MF, but it's easier to set the pain aside when it's an event.

For me, I think the point is, conditions won't keep me off the course because of disc flight, or challenging play, etc. It's really more about physical comfort/pain.

So, my no-gos are heavy/steady rain, wind/cold/rain combos, depending, and I suppose EXTREME heat...but like the poster above from MI, where you have to deal with crappy winter conditions, or else retire, hereabouts if you stay home anytime it's 90's/90's (temp/hum), you're a bowler.

I've been working on various roller shots lately, new to me, and some real seemingly physics-defying stuff can happen when trying to throw rollers in high wind, pure comedy.

The Rocky Mountain Front Range is king of unstable weather. Calm and sunny one minute and 30 MPH gusts the next. My two favorite sports are perfect for high winds; Fly Fishing and DG. I learned to deal with the wind while fly fishing and the same seems to apply in DG. Minimize what hurts you and maximize what helps. I just play for fun and exercise so a good outing for me is no wind for 9 holes, 10 mph wind for the next 9, and 20 mph gusts for the last 9. How else would I know it's time to go home and get back to work. :doh:

40 mph winds? In Kansas we call that, Tuesday. If not for the giant snow drifts I'd be out there right now throwing.

I don't mind playing in wind at all. It can make a really easy course rather challenging. However, I don't like wind/rain or wind/cold. On a warm, dry, windy day tho, I'll be out there.

Local course is wide open fields. With the few rain drops and high wind I am heading down the valley to the soccer fields where hopefully not as windy to practice my approach shots. A bad day with the Buzzz is better than a good day at work.

Latest posts