• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Windy day: Stay or go?

When it comes to wind I prefer playing at night...you can still feel the wind, but you can't see it whipping the trees around!!
If I can't see it, it's not there!!

40 mph winds? In Kansas we call that, Tuesday. If not for the giant snow drifts I'd be out there right now throwing.

LOL.

I've been half following you guys' weather over the last week. Man, mother nature is really testing the DG dedication out your way.

Ha, where we're at in the Pac NW we get out of there if the winds get going.

Wood comes down!
(often)

smash, bam, pow.

Speak for yourself, just stay away from the trees making creaking noises.

I love playing in the wind, it's like playing an entirely new course. You can feel really good about yourself crushing some putters in a tailwind. Or throw flat on a right turning hole and watch the wind push the disc around the corner for you. It beats throwing the same shot over and over at your home course.

I play in any winds. When else will I use my wife's 123 DX Valkyrie???

I say it and I say it and I say it, the wind BLOWS!

And yet I play in it. Love it, Hate it. Missing a 5 footer because of a gust. :wall: And yet sometimes you get it just right. :clap: You don't know what you can and can't do with the wind unless you play in it.

I dont mind playing in high winds anymore. Here in Texas, if you don't like to play in the wind, you'll end up not playing very much.

Nice benefit is the courses are usually not as crowded on windy days.

Yup, I'd be out there.

I don't get any better at playing in adversity if I avoid it.

It would take wind that I can't stand up or trees are falling on me to keep me off the course.

That's what I'm talking about right there!!
I personally feel like unless it's just unbareable, then why not get out there and get a better understanding for what's in your bag!

If it's raining I'll play. If it's windy I'll play. If it's raining and super windy... no dice.

Some days it is too windy to play but never too windy to practice. Practice putting with headwinds and tailwinds are what I normally do when it is windy to get accustomed to the flights for each.

Why not hit the practice field and work on throwing in all directions? On the few days we get around here like this, I like to take stable and understable discs (along with the beefcakes) to the field to better understand their strengths and limitations in winds.

I also like to work on my putting. In a tourney in high winds, putting separates the field more than anything else.

Exactly what i would do. I love extreme conditions, gives you another thing to think about :D

While I would prefer to not play in windy conditions, I have found that they give me a lot better understanding of the entirety of my discs and they really make me evaluate my disc/shot selection. As a result, I believe that playing when it's windy helps to improve my decision making on the course. So I vote if it's windy and you have any inkling to go play, Just Do It!

responding OP:

I assume gusts up to 40 mph on open ground...

I would play without hesitation on a course with terrain and vegetation that mitigates wind on a decent part of the course. Played in 35-40 mph with temps in the teens lately and got by fine. I like the fun hard work.

Last edited:
One of the most fun rounds I ever had was on a windy day like you're describing, but in those conditions, the fun is dependent on not taking the round too seriously and keeping a sense of humor about it. Your discs will do some goofy things in strong winds. :)

Latest posts