• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter dg gone wrong

One time I played with that Frost King tape in -100 degree temps at the North Pole. I throw a bleached white '01 CE Roc with gold dust mixed into the plastic (limited run), and it's no problem to find. But if you want to use that cheap Scotch stuff down in Minnesota, be my guest.

Mike, how many winter rounds do you squeeze in, just curious

In the real, non-sarcastic exaggerated internet world?

I probably play every other week during the winter in the Chicago area. I don't use tape, ribbons, chalk, or any other fancy devices. I stick to brightly-colored discs in the snow and most importantly, only throw one off the tee. That's how most discs get lost.

You wouldn't be allowed to play the winter night league I play in, in Minneapolis.
Scotch 33+ electrical tape, or stay home :D
I have to say that Frost King seems stickier than it used to be. I pulled ribbons off of 3 discs the other day out on the course and the adhesive stayed on the discs when I peeled it off. It was only 28F but it should have come off cleanly. VIP air, lucid air and tournament plastic. I'm pretty sure I won't be testing it at -10, but I will definitely give Scotch 33 a try and report back.

The throwing partners and I schedule our winter vacations together... usually two different weeks. We decide where to go the week before depending on weather. From KC... Texas has probably been our most frequent destination though one year we drove as far as Florida. Those two vacation weeks are just a freak'in blast.

Whatever floats your boat. I play a weekly 6:00 pm night league from November to March (daylight savings to daylight savings) for a few years now in the burbs of Minneapolis.
I even had perfect attendance (i.e. no life on Wednesday award!) last year.

Temps get well below zero. I think we had at least a -15 last year. Wind chill was pushing -30. Sometimes we have a foot of fresh snow.

From years of experience, I won't play with anything else. Haven't lost a disc at night winter league ever. I throw a white 08 drone and a first run buzzz at night, in the cold, in deep snow, with confidence :D

Do you do the Brookview league?

I have to say that Frost King seems stickier than it used to be. I pulled ribbons off of 3 discs the other day out on the course and the adhesive stayed on the discs when I peeled it off. It was only 28F but it should have come off cleanly. VIP air, lucid air and tournament plastic. I'm pretty sure I won't be testing it at -10, but I will definitely give Scotch 33 a try and report back.

The key with electrical, or any tape, is to apply to a warm, dry disc.

Do you do the Brookview league?

If you're talking about Winter Westside Wednesday that rotates between Brookview and Hansen? Yes!

Latest posts