• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Disc Golf

Dang, never knew you could die from discing in cotton. Is there a frostbite protocol at ice bowls like the NFL concussion protocol?

Dang, never knew you could die from discing in cotton. Is there a frostbite protocol at ice bowls like the NFL concussion protocol?

You probably won't die playing disc if your dressed poorly. Just get cold and have to stop sooner than if dressed properly. The phrase cotton kills is more geared toward wilderness camping.

Speaking of winter disc golf: looks like in these parts it's gonna be a looooong wait until spring to get out there. Weather here has just been miserable for disc golf this whole winter. We just melted 16 inches of snow and then got hammered with about 4 inches of rain in 24 hours on a totally saturated and still partially frozen ground. Lot's of flooding going down so I can only imagine what the courses are gonna be like for quite some time to come. *sighs* Have fun guys! I'm gonna go stare at my packed VooDoo bag and my Black Hole Pro basket sitting in the corner of my room here.......

Speaking of winter disc golf: looks like in these parts it's gonna be a looooong wait until spring to get out there. Weather here has just been miserable for disc golf this whole winter. We just melted 16 inches of snow and then got hammered with about 4 inches of rain in 24 hours on a totally saturated and still partially frozen ground. Lot's of flooding going down so I can only imagine what the courses are gonna be like for quite some time to come. *sighs* Have fun guys! I'm gonna go stare at my packed VooDoo bag and my Black Hole Pro basket sitting in the corner of my room here.......

Somewhat similar but less extreme situation here. Havent had snow in a while and while it's starting to warm up, the nice sunny days with no wind are usually after a few inches of rain leaving my local course a sloppy mess.

At least theres finally enough sunlight left when I get off work to play a quick 9!

I had very difficult time deciding if I was pleased or annoyed that it was almost 80 and I was sweating while playing in February yesterday.

So yeah, hole 7, 8 and 9 at Flaherty are down there somewhere.

Attachments

• 323D3AAA-C8F1-459A-8576-8EB71D41CF5A.jpg
    323D3AAA-C8F1-459A-8576-8EB71D41CF5A.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 22
I had very difficult time deciding if I was pleased or annoyed that it was almost 80 and I was sweating while playing in February yesterday.

:| only thing annoying if that was the case here would be the mudfest at each local course.

Dont make me find ORDBs flicking off picture....

Wear ANY warm gloves in between throws/walking - just take off the throwing hand glove when throwing. And you're good to go.

I sometimes use these gloves that just have the fingertips open, the glove is just a LEVIS's glove I got from Kohls but there is a slightly grippy padding on the palm, so I can jam the disc edge in my palm and it doesn't slip but my fingertips can still grip and rip the disc. Honestly It works great and I rarely had any miscues (not because of the gloves) So I'd say, wear big warm gloves until you throw and if you must throw WITH a glove, the ones I described work really well.

:| only thing annoying if that was the case here would be the mudfest at each local course.

Dont make me find ORDBs flicking off picture....

Yeah, we're going to be in the same boat with a lot of courses here even once the weather finally turns better. I feel sorry for one course they really cleaned up very nicely before a tourny last summer. Cut back a lot of bad, thorny brush and drained a blackish, swampy pond that was right by the first tee, a real disc eater. Really turned it into a nice 4 star course. Then last Nov on our last outing there the first 3 holes were a shock to us as they were totally unplayable and under water. Turns out a beaver dam was stopping the drained part of the course from emptying and was backing up and flooding out those holes. I can only imagine what that course is gonna be like for many months to come after putting all that work in with the hectic winter we've had.

We've had plenty of snow, followed by rains recently. They issued food warning due to the rain and snowmelt. I might try to play tomorrow, but pretty sure anywhere I go will be a mucking fess.