• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter jacket (and keeping throwing hand warm)

tigel

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking to do some shopping for winter wear. My jackets are way too big/bulky to throw in, my pants/socks/shoe area are fine. My only problem is I can't find a warm, wind/water resistant fleece jacket for disc golf that I know is going to be move-able enough to throw properly in.

What do you guys wear that gives you the best mobility, but also protects against rain/wind/cold. Cold I'm not too worried about. With layering my core stays warm enough.

As for the throwing hand. I had a tournament last week in 20 degree with, raining off and on all day... My discs stayed dry thanks to my six towels but through it all my throwing hand was freezing. I stayed active, kept it in my pocket every chance I could, etc etc. However, at the end of the day because of the cold, wet, and dry weather, I developed a KILLER blood blister at my rip point. Even in rounds gripping the disc was tough. Not because of the plastic, or rain, but because my hand was physically too cold to grip it 100%.

Again, what do you guys to keep your throwing hand warm? I didn't mention both because I wear a glove on my off hand. I thought about just wearing glove on my throwing hand as well. I wasn't sure if it was worth it when I thought about that when packing so I didn't bother bringing it. However, I think it would have at least helped after experiencing freezing hell last weekend haha.

well i just bought a jacket from Sam's club for $20. It's a "water resistant" outer shell jacket with a microfiber fleece liner. It also has a hood. I haven't played in it but it has been super rainy down here as of late. I have worn it and it is very warm. I ran water from the kitchen sink over the sleeve and the water beaded up. I'll know if it's been a waste of $20 soon. http://www.freecountry.com/cgi-bin/freec/locate?fcyear=2008&act=1&cat=men&item=98-M9555BK

and about that blood blister i would suggest just putting athletic tape over that finger rather than trying to play in gloves. you should wear light gloves while walking between shots but throw with the glove off. or you could go with those hothands chemical hand warming bags.

ha. I've got a bit of a different definition of cold than you do apparently. In 6 C (20F) rainy weather I'd wear a t-shirt, hoodie and a kay-way type rain coat. Hands in my hoodie if I needed to warm them up.

I played a quick round the other day at my local course in -25 C (-13F) and long underwear, jeans, t-shirt, sweater, hoodie, vest, thermal socks, some winter hikers, gators, big wool hat and some medium duty gloves. Held my throwing hand glove in my other hand for throwing and threw it back on right away.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODYtMjAwOTEyMTEtMTU0M.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODktMjAwOTEyMTEtMTU1N.jpg

I usually don't wear more than long sleeves and a fleece vest. I sweat like a mofo though, so ymmv. As for the hands, I wear a glove on the left and a mitten on the throwing hand, If it's real cold I'll throw a hand warmer in the mitten.

those ski mittens have little plastic clips on them for a reason dudes, clip one on your mf-ing bag!
It's what I do, so I can keep my throwing hand warm while walking between throws. This works as long as its not snowing or raining while I'm playing, cus then the snow would just go right in the mitten, as it always hangs upright and open.

keltik said:
where do you live and where can i get a basket like the one from the first pic?

I'm in Calgary and those pictures are from my local course, Park 96.

I really like the baskets, but it might be hard to track one down. Local guy made them and I believe has recently or is in the process of trying to get them pdga approved.

word up what'shisname

well i played a short round in my cheapo sam's club jacket and all i can say is that it doesn't breathe well (read at all). my t-shirt was wet after playing which is not good. I think i'll keep it just for rainy cold casual wear.

Man...I SO wanted to play Park 96 when i was passing through there visiting my ex... I didn't know any residents though, so I didn't wanna get yelled at :(

SUCH a beautiful looking course from the pics I've seen!

Anways, on topic... I wear layers. t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt or sweater (depending on how cold/windy), and a fleece ski jacket (I've found actual skiing ones are better for wind resistance than the generic cheapo REI kind, they're designed to handle wind). You'll spent a LOT on a good fleece jacket, but it'll keep you warm and last for YEARS (the one I'm getting rid of after this season is like...shit, almost 10 years old?). I don't mind spending $150-200 on a good fleece, it's just hard to find the GOOD ones in anything but silly colors lately...

If it's SUPER cold out, I wear my SUPER cold weather ski fleece, which has a waterproof outer layer and gore-tex between that and the fleece. Doesn't move as well as the normal fleece, though...

For my hands, it's mittens or nothing. Wind blows through your fingers wearing gloves, which cools them more due to increased surface area. Compare that with a pair of gore-tex or thinsulate mittens where the wind isn't getting through, and your fingers are warming eachother, and it's pretty easy to see why mittens rule and gloves drool.

beyond that, I wear a knit or fleece skull-cap and one of those fleece neck-tubes (you'd be amazed how much warmer you feel when your whole head's warm).

SkaBob said:
Man...I SO wanted to play Park 96 when i was passing through there visiting my ex... I didn't know any residents though, so I didn't wanna get yelled at :(

SUCH a beautiful looking course from the pics I've seen!

If you ever make it back, hit me up, I'll be happy to show you around.

Much warmer out there today, around 37 or so. Got in 17 holes on a bit of a modified course. There's a few hole affected by the tobogganing hill and you risk hitting some unsuspecting kids to play a couple of them. Great round though. Wore the same gear I listed before minus the long underwear and extra sweater. Didn't have the wool hat either and didn't need the gloves much at all.

Small ball golf course Pro Shops often have deep discounts on outerwear at the end of the season. A lot of those products are high tech athletic gear.

Ski wear is another good source. Ski overalls would be a good layer, since they leave your arms free. Check in the spring for their end of season sales.

Hiking, camping, and hunting stores are another source of warm, athletic outerwear. Sales vary by sport and season.

Farm stores also sell extremely warm active wear.

I have 2 outfits for winter golf. In addition to waterproof pants, boots, gloves, hats, gators, and a scarf or neck warmer, I either wear:
1) Hi-tech all the way multi-layers: waterproof jacket, plus as many layers of long johns and fleece depending on how cold it is. If you have to shed too many layers carrying the extra layers can be a problem.
Or
2) a 3 season waterproof jacket from a hiking/camping/hunting store. I get the ones that are sports oriented so they wick moisture and provide movement. If this gets too warm, just unzip.

I also have an old London Fog jacket that, although not waterproof is great because it has two pockets in the front that are big enough to hold golf discs. I wish I could find more like that.

For gloves I use either regular ball golf gloves (they provide great grip) or winter ball golf gloves (try them on, they don't always provide good grip). Sometimes I wear them inside mittens. For extreme cold I have a pair of heavy duty winter gloves that are a bit too small. It took me awhile to find a pair with good grip. After I heat up I often throw bare handed instead of the above gloves.

And towels, lots of towels to dry the discs.

Ven from Joralemon Park, Ravena NY
Practice with Purpose

Does anyone recommend this jacket? It's with in my price range (1-85$), and I'm needing something rain proof but not bulky since I want to throw in it. I fear it might be too light, and thin to stay dry in long rounds, but I have no clue.

http://www.amazon.com/Marmot-Ion-Windshirt-Mens/dp/B000P8AL7O/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qlEnable=1&qid=1262056380&sr=1-32

If it doesn't get below 55F, then that might work...it's seriously just what it says... a wind SHIRT. It's like those super thin, one layer, nylon jackets you see old people wearing in the spring.

I wouldn't spend $65 on it, at any rate.

If you're looking for just a rain jacket, this one's cheaper and better:
http://www.rei.com/product/746580

If you're looking for something warmer, this is cheaper, warm and surprisingly water resistant:
http://www.rei.com/product/786850

Or the higher end version, available on sale:
http://www.rei.com/product/770883

tigel said:
Does anyone recommend this jacket? It's with in my price range (1-85$), and I'm needing something rain proof but not bulky since I want to throw in it. I fear it might be too light, and thin to stay dry in long rounds, but I have no clue.

http://www.amazon.com/Marmot-Ion-Windshirt-Mens/dp/B000P8AL7O/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qlEnable=1&qid=1262056380&sr=1-32
I can strongly recommend this. I would even more strongly suggest something like the original driclime windshirt. I have 2 of the driclime windshirts, which are pretty much the same thing but without the hood, and with a super thin insulated lining. I wear them 90% of the time golfing in cold/wet weather. I also won't go up a mountain without one, which is a bigger testament than wearing them for disc golf. They are about the warmest thing going for the extreme low weight and are highly breathable and highly windproof. They are not waterproof though, so keep that in mind before you buy. Nevertheless, it rains quite a bit here in Oregon and this is still my goto upper body piece for anything even remotely active unless it's a torrential downpour. Really fast drying, and if it's raining heavily I will probably use a golf umbrella anyway. For a layer you want to keep you warm while still retaining mobility these are far superior to a fleece top. The only thing I would caution against is using the windshirt as an outer layer if you need total waterproofing instead of just a moderate degree of water resistance. The windshirts are pretty low bulk though, so you can throw a waterproof shell over the top.

The ripstop material is also more durable than it would appear. I have gone deep into blackberries, holly, devil's club, fallen down on rocks and everything else that you would expect to tear this stuff to shreds and the only blemishes in the material on either of my two windshirts are a couple tiny burn holes from a cigarette cherry.

I know I sound like an advertisement but these things truly are the real deal and most people have no idea.

s7_923245_renderset_05

This is what I rock with a thermal layer on and maybe a fleece if it's cold enough. I hate being bulky. They are on sale at a lot of places right now. I think mine was $70. Its wind block and water beads right off of it.

The easiest and lightest way to stay warm for me is:

underarmor compression shirt.
t-shirt
light long sleeve shirt
fleece vest
golf insulated windbreaker (I like the ones that let you remove the sleeves either at the elbow or shoulder)

As for keeping your throwing hand warm, some guys around here have been using the QB handwarmer tunnel thing. When they throw they just flip it around to their back and move it back to the front when they are done.

As for keeping your throwing hand warm, some guys around here have been using the QB handwarmer tunnel thing. When they throw they just flip it around to their back and move it back to the front when they are done.

Those are popular here too. I had one and it annoyed me though. Got in the way. I just throw the hand heaters into the gloves and pockets.

The QB hand warmer is the best...a few hand warmers, a small shamwow, and I don't even waste time turing it around anymore. Layers man, layers...

My current recipe is Pertex jacket on top of Merino wool shirt of sufficiently low density to remain breathing and/or technical shirts. And sodium acetate packs for reusability instead of single use hand warmers. My views on wearing layers changed a bit considering i had to remove the thicker of my two shirts from under the new Pertex jacket. Getting the sweat out reduces the amount of clothing you need in cold weather dramatically. That reduces mechanical restriction a lot so you'll throw farther.