• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Withdrawing due to weather

Does rain stress you out when the bridges get washed out?

That was a big concern over the weekend. Without the bridges the course is pretty much unplayable.
Not all that much really- if that is the case then the decision is made for me. After a while you have a pretty good feel for when that might happen (this weekend for instance there would have been almost no risk of losing bridges at HH- the ground was so dry before the storm started that the first inch or so of rain wasn't likely to make it into the streams.) What is stressful is sitting around in uncertainty about what may or may not happen regarding player safety.

As you know the old way was to play in anything but lightning. Part of the reason for that was that prior to the interwebs/socials there was no good way to go about cancelling an event or a part of it and actually get the word to the players. We played in conditions years ago under which I would not even consider running or playing in an event today.

It's a good point.

When I began back in the 1990s, there weren't a lot of events on the schedule, so missing out on one was a blow. Plus, for lower-tier events, a high percentage of players came from out-of-town and couldn't be as flexible, as an event today that is more heavily stocked with local players, for whom a late cancellation would be less inconvenience.

A few years ago, my son (5 or so at the time) played soccer in the first snow of the year. At had rained the night prior and there were puddles all over the field. Absolutely miserable conditions and we were lucky no one got frostbite.

Learning to tough it out is a valuable lesson, but me and every adult there were fools for letting the kids play that day.I

A few years ago, my son (5 or so at the time) played soccer in the first snow of the year. At had rained the night prior and there were puddles all over the field. Absolutely miserable conditions and we were lucky no one got frostbite.

Learning to tough it out is a valuable lesson, but me and every adult there were fools for letting the kids play that day.
If the puddles on the field were not frozen over, frostbite is not really much of a fear. Frostbite, in general is not an injury, seen often in times where athletics is concerned. I had a blast playing in such conditions, as a kid.

I think dropping after the start of a round (DNF) impacts your rating.
You should look instead to play in local leagues.
Many leagues offer rated rounds. You can just show up after checking the forcast.

If you are going to pull out of a tournament, especially between rounds...let the TD know as soon as you decide. Things happen...some people don't like to play in adverse weather, some people injure themselves and may not know it right away or may think they can play through it. Let the TD know. Why? In sanctioned rounds, cards are required to be three or more players. If you are assigned to a card and would be a fourth....but don't show up...now the card is at their minimum. What happens if another cardmate didn't show up? Or if the card was a threesome to begin with. Now the card (if they know the rule) and the TD have to scramble to get the two-some onto another card. I was in a tournament where I had the trifecta: 1) I was in last place after round one, no chance to improve (I was that far behind), 2) it started raining before the second round (same day, second round was after lunch), and 3) I had hurt my ankle. I considered not showing up, but did anyways. For me...I paid, I was going to play even though I dislike playing in rain and had to throw standstill because of my ankle injury. It was a shotgun start, so when I got to my tee, I found another player had decided to not show. I got to talking with the other two on my card and found out it was their first tournament and they didn't know the rule about 3 or more on the card. They were two ladies who actually ended up in the running for their division....if I hadn't shown up, they would have played as a twosome, not knowing that wasn't allowed. It probably would have ended up with them disqualified. And being a shotgun start, the TD wouldn't have known they were playing as a twosome.

So while it is your choice as to whether you play or not, regardless of the reason, always let the TD know as soon as you can....that way the TD can make any adjustments needed prior to the start of a round.

Up to the TD whether they score your drop as a 999 (legit reason- doesn't hurt rating) or 888 (unacceptable reason/no notification/whatever- 5 point rating penalty). Most of the 888's I have given out over the years involve failing to show up without notifying me.

Up to the TD whether they score your drop as a 999 (legit reason- doesn't hurt rating) or 888 (unacceptable reason/no notification/whatever- 5 point rating penalty). Most of the 888's I have given out over the years involve failing to show up without notifying me.
Yeah, we only handed out one 888, outside of no call/ no shows. He DQ'ed himself halfway through a round and came to tournament central to let us know that he quit, because he was playing poorly. He then took the opportunity to let us know that he thought the tournament sucked because he was not given an option to opt out of the, very nice, collared polo shirt that was part of the players pack. He then went out and played several holes with his buddy on a different card. Kind of wish 555 was an option.

If you are going to pull out of a tournament, especially between rounds...let the TD know as soon as you decide. Things happen...some people don't like to play in adverse weather, some people injure themselves and may not know it right away or may think they can play through it. Let the TD know. Why? In sanctioned rounds, cards are required to be three or more players. If you are assigned to a card and would be a fourth....but don't show up...now the card is at their minimum. What happens if another cardmate didn't show up? Or if the card was a threesome to begin with. Now the card (if they know the rule) and the TD have to scramble to get the two-some onto another card. I was in a tournament where I had the trifecta: 1) I was in last place after round one, no chance to improve (I was that far behind), 2) it started raining before the second round (same day, second round was after lunch), and 3) I had hurt my ankle. I considered not showing up, but did anyways. For me...I paid, I was going to play even though I dislike playing in rain and had to throw standstill because of my ankle injury. It was a shotgun start, so when I got to my tee, I found another player had decided to not show. I got to talking with the other two on my card and found out it was their first tournament and they didn't know the rule about 3 or more on the card. They were two ladies who actually ended up in the running for their division....if I hadn't shown up, they would have played as a twosome, not knowing that wasn't allowed. It probably would have ended up with them disqualified. And being a shotgun start, the TD wouldn't have known they were playing as a twosome.

So while it is your choice as to whether you play or not, regardless of the reason, always let the TD know as soon as you can....that way the TD can make any adjustments needed prior to the start of a round.
Please direct me to the rule specifying a penalty for players playing in a twosome. (Hint- it doesn't exist in Competition Manual 1.06.F)

You should look instead to play in local leagues.
Many leagues offer rated rounds. You can just show up after checking the forcast.
Unless your leagues require pre-registration.

Please direct me to the rule specifying a penalty for players playing in a twosome. (Hint- it doesn't exist in Competition Manual 1.06.F)
Please direct me to where I said there was a penalty. :) I did say
It probably would have ended up with them disqualified.
. I used the word probably since I didn't know what the outcome of not meeting 1.06.F is.

However,
Competition Manual 1.06 F
To promote fairness, groups shall not consist of fewer than three playersexcept under extenuating circumstances, as deemed necessary by the Tournament Director. In cases where fewer than three players are required to play together, a designated Tournament Official (see 1.12.A) must accompany the group and may play as long as that does not interfere with the competing players.

And that (the bolded part) is all I said. A group is three players or more. And the rule does say that a smaller group CAN be allowed by the TD....but that can't happen if the TD isn't aware of it. So, since the rule does appear to require 3 or more players.....have less than 3 without approval is a violation of the requirement. As to if there is a penalty....I don't know what it might be.

Sections 1 (Tournament Procedures) and 2 (Division Qualifications) of the Competition Manual are more "rules" (suggestions) for TD's than they are for players. Section 3 (Player Conduct) should imo be moved to the Rule Book for the sake of clarity/consistency.

Player safety is the guide, right. Living in Michigan I have played in several tournaments that should have probably been cancelled. A foot of snow, severe rain.... The winter stuff can present a real safety issue, for getting to the event. Rarely have I seen one called though...some will play in anything. :giggle:

For years and years, we had the Cracked Plastic Classic here in Kalamazoo. I played in a couple of them when I was younger. Haven't in over 20 years. Terry Miller has said it was one of his favorite tournaments!

Here's one I found on YT from 2008, the February before we had worlds here. Wind chill of -19, and a sanctioned B-tier! (hope that link works!)

Our club cancelled one day of a two day tournament for the tropical storm on Saturday. It was amusing after they posted a "rain or shine" policy earlier in the week when asked if they cancelled due to rain.
I mean... the Governor of Virginia declared a state of emergency for Saturday. I commend Sully and crew for making the call they made. Having playing Loco 11 in torrential rain, I wouldn't have minded missing one of those Friday or Saturday rounds last year.

As I come to the end of this first season playing competitively I have learned that I have zero interest in playing in the rain. I mean a shower or two over the course of the round is fine, but playing two full rounds in constant rain is, for me, ruins any enjoyment I could have. As I understand it, if I withdraw because of weather I am just fucked with regard to losing my registration fee. I watch the forecast near obsessively leading up to a tournament so I know what I will need to have with me so this isnt like Im just doing this carelessly. Is there any recourse I have, according to the pdga policy, that I am unaware of which give me, the player, any leg to stand on with not feeling like "if I don't play, Ive wasted money?"
Generally, there is a statement about refunds on the announcement of the tournament in DiscGolfScene.com (lower right of the webpage). If it is the generic boilerplate noting responsibility and not policy, then contact the tournament director *before* registering to understand what you would be losing and when. Some tournament directors use a scale of how they return money, based on when you withdraw. Most (I think) stop refunding money 24 hours before the tournament starts. If you decide to bail in the middle of a tournament because it is raining, I'm not sure you would get a 999. You would (I believe) if you were injured or some sort of other way unexpectedly unable to continue play. And if you are injured coming into the tournament, I think it's good to let the tournament director know that in advance, so they know that you may have to bow out midstream. They can have plan B percolating in case you do. Courtesy. Basic consideration for others.

Having playing Loco 11 in torrential rain, I wouldn't have minded missing one of those Friday or Saturday rounds last year.

I played in that as well. Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

I played in World in 18 that was much worse storm than either of those events.

Due to severe flooding at the Hornet's Nest DGC caused by Wednesday's extreme weather, Hole 8 at Hornet's Nest had to be removed from play in concern for the safety of the players in the B-Pool (Advanced). To maintain the integrity of the competition for the Advanced division, this has made it necessary to remove the scores that the A, C, and D Pool players had previously scored on Hole 8 during their rounds on Tuesday and Wednesday. Although a less than an ideal situation, this was deemed a better solution than completely removing all of the MA1 Hornet's Nest round scores from the competition.

If the puddles on the field were not frozen over, frostbite is not really much of a fear. Frostbite, in general is not an injury, seen often in times where athletics is concerned. I had a blast playing in such conditions, as a kid.
If that's your take away, I clearly did a shit job conveying how awful it was.