• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard/magic gateway craze

You'll lose some glide with Evos. Might want to try a lighter weight.

I don't think you're correct there. Everything I've read and heard always puts the E HPP plastic a touch more stable and more glide than the S plastic across the board.

Just my experience with them. I agree with the stability with the exception of the G9i being the most stable.

Last edited:
HPP is generally more stable, but you do lose a little glide. On a full power drive the HPPs go about 15' shorter than my other wizards very consistently

I looked at the Gateway site, and didn't see any place to order discs, other than the ebay link.

HPP is generally more stable, but you do lose a little glide. On a full power drive the HPPs go about 15' shorter than my other wizards very consistently

Hmm, guess I'm wrong. My HPP Element glides like a SOB, but maybe I need to spend more time with my S Element!

after seeing the gateway post about 2 evo magic for $35 yesterday on facebook i decided to see what i could find for less and ended up getting the last 2 from altitude for $6 each, $35 seems like highway robbery to me but i guess if someone wants to pay that then more power to them...

That 2 for $35 deal is refering to the SuperGlow E plastic...not regular E plastic. You can buy 10 for $70 E whatever discs at the shop anytime you want...

That 2 for $35 deal is refering to the SuperGlow E plastic...not regular E plastic. You can buy 10 for $70 E whatever discs at the shop anytime you want...

Get the superglow evo's. They are overstable goodness and seem really durable. I haven't beat one in yet but I can't wait to get one there either.

Steve, are you regular Wizard thrower? What is your "regular" Wizard? I bought some of those Evos, and I really don't like them being so domey.

Steve, are you regular Wizard thrower? What is your "regular" Wizard? I bought some of those Evos, and I really don't like them being so domey.

I have boxes of wizards and have thrown them off and on since I was new. Mine are not really domey but the shoulder is a little taller and the flatness starts a little higher on the disc. They plastic feels absolutely great on them and is similar in feel to some of the older champ glow from innova (2003-2005 the yellowish-gold colored stuff) but the superglow glows better. It has a softness to it that makes me think the top might sink in some as it wears in but I haven't had them that long yet.

It seems that there is a noticable difference between the plastics but nothing radical. In HPP I'm looking for a Wizard that would keep its stability longer. I just came back from a trip and have yet to visit my local shop, they just got new stuff from gateway. The HPP Wizards they have seem to be lime green, if anyone knows something about them..

Just my experience with them. I agree with the stability with the exception of the G9i being the most stable.

I've never seen a G9i, what does it stand for? How are they like?

G9i at Marshall Street

G9i is an older plastic Gateway used that molded up very flat and very stable in Wizards. It is a very firm but very grippy plastic (for a firm plastic). Recently Dave at Gateway acquired some more of this plastic (is it the exact same, eh) and reran Wizards in it. For a firm putter lover like myself, they are a dream. I will say that they've gotten even better with use too.

The most recent (re)runs caused quite a stir, but many lost interest when people reported theirs beating up and chunking pretty bad. Mine have taken a beating, but I haven't noticed any serious damage like the others. Most Wizards take a lot of damage early on and then seem to just stop showing any more in my experience. In an attempt to improve durability, Dave started messing with the blend, and I don't know what happened after that as I bought a pile from the first runs and the DGCR group buy (first or second run, same stamp but different colors and placement). I heard they weren't as flat, but I never stuck around the threads long enough to see how stable they were. As always, if I have any info wrong, please someone correct me.

There are a couple threads about them in the Equipment and Marketplace forums. Look around for them if you want more info about them. The threads stay on topic fairly well.

Last edited:
The current run of the HPP Wizards (the lime green ones) are very stable and durable.

I actually have some of the test run ones for the current lime green HPP Wizards. The current run feels like ESP plastic, the test run was more like champ. It also had more of a yellow tint to it and looks just like the '01 CE Aviars and Rocs. Apparently they made 10 of them to try them out. I bought 4 of the 10. I went back to the shop last week to see if they ran any more and nobody even knew where I got mine. Even Dave hasn't seen any like the ones I have. I guess only a few of the guys working back there knew about them. I'm going to try my best not to lose the ones I have. They're super durable. I've been throwing mine for a month and it has seen many trees and rocks and it barely has any nicks on it.

The only problem with the HPP ones is the fact that they DON'T beat in. It's hard to cycle through a putter that takes ages to show any signs of wear.

Thanks for the info guys. Marshall Street sees to have a lot of stuff that's not available here, might have to ask for shipping costs to Europe.
I'm just a tad worried that I want to spend money on stuff I can't even throw before spring!

Regarding Evo Wizards...

I found them to typically be domey with a very high shoulder on the top of the wing compared to baseline. Like others said, similar flight except less glide. Very nice if you're like me and enjoy driving putters on short wooded courses, where baseline can beat up a little if you ding it off the tee (Even cracked a Wizard in half once that way).

I have found 1 Evo wizard that was absolutely amazing...but absolutely unique. It's gummy, yellow and FLAT, one of the flattest, shortest Wizards I've ever found. It was sold as an x-out from Marshall street and came with the SS stamp that has the wizard with the wand. It glides like a baseline Wizard, feels better in the hand than most Evo because it's so flat, and is tough as nails. Grabbed an ace or two with it before switching to Ions. This Wizard is one of the main reasons I quit throwing them, because it was the holy grail of driving wizards and I tried so hard to find more and couldn't. Then I fondled an older opaque S Ion and it felt very similar....gummy, grippy and flat. When I realized the Ion drove much the same except longer, and I could get my favorite putter driver plastic all day any day, I was sold. If anyone finds some of these I highly suggest driving the **** out of them, they're so nice.

Mike, I prefer the flat evo Wizards as well. They're not common but you can find them flat. Probably hard to do when shopping online - I have the luxury of hand picking them from hundreds at the factory. The ones I throw are all flat.

I tried the Ion a few times, and you're right, they go far. Really far. I never got used to the lines they fly though. They're not quite the same as a Wizard. I didn't want to re-learn a putter, especially one I couldn't get in base plastic, so I was never sold on it.

I recently received 2 eraser wizards. They are super grippy... and pretty hard. I would put them at SS. They are amazing off of the tee. I think that I like them better off the tee than the G9i.

Currently putting with SSS chalkies.... they are the best.

I am now up to 8 wizards... and will more than likely continue to purchase them. Could not be happier with this putter mold.

i recieved some very interesting wizards with my ozark order..they are labeled 5-s..they feel as soft/floppy as a 3-s but wayyy super grippy..does anyone have any exp with them..and if your interested hit me up..i throw bb aviars not wizards

Latest posts