• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard Plastic help

collincarter_

I putt with KC Aviars right now and I would like a wizard that is the same stiffness but not as slick. Which plastic would you recommend?

SS tends to have a stiff rim and a slightly softer flight plate similar to a lot of 12x KC while S tends to be more rock hard but it varies wildly. It's too bad you can't feel them in person gateway putters are a total gamble online. You should call the retailer and ask them to feel them for you.

S feels like good old KC pro, whereas the new stuff is more like SS but with less grip. That being said, there is lots of variability, so its nice to feel them in person.

I would suggest the SS Wizards. They have a bit more give in the flight plate but the rim is stiff and plastic usually grippy, as Ted mentioned. They feel great. The S Wizards are stiffer and more like stiff KC Aviars, but they can start out on the slick side. They get grippy after a few months of use, but you gotta let them season before they do.

Depends on the KC plastic. The 10x Aviars everyone loves are stiffer than the 25s.

Bingo.

I love the ER-25s because they were just slightly grippy when I got them. Now that it's gotten cold, the one in my bag got grippier. I was floored.

I say Soft. A little less slick when new compared to KC Pro Aviars but similar stiffness.
If you really want, call up Gateway and ask if you can mail them your favorite KC Pro Aviar, find a stack of Wizards in similar feeling plastic, and send it back to you. Most definitely would be worth the price of shipping twice to get a plastic you know and like the feel of.

I live 5 min from the gateway factory so getting choice wizards isn't really a problem. Personally I putt inside the circle with S wizards and outside the circle with organic wizards that are a little less stuff than the S plastic.

If your softs are too slick, put a magic eraser to em'. I do it mine and it makes them velvety, especially under the flightplate. If you dont have any on hand the scrubber side of a sponge will work also.

I vote soft.

i recently switched from a stiff yeti to wizards and i'm using a soft. i also got another soft, 3 SSS's and an RFF but i really like the way this soft feels. it's been sitting in a box for over a year but i don't think it was ever slick.

I think the SS will make you the happiest if your trying to replicate the KC pro from most runs, but i adore the RFF for putting in the circle.

Eraser is going to be a little less stiff. S or SS are going to be what you want, you might have to feel a few to find one but I guarantee there's some out there that are exactly the feel you're looking for. It just might be tough to find a bunch that are all the same run without going through the factory.

soft. :3

soft comes in awesome varieties, from super stiff to almost SS.

my main driving putter in the summer once i get my "normal" softs to seasoned is going to be a stiff blue wizard that started out super slick. the hard, slick wizards are an investment. they start picking up tack and then they're perfect for driving. much more resilient to damage as well. i have a feeling i will be able to use it as a driving putter for a loooooooooooong time. i like the way the other softs feel in my hand, though. a little extra grip and "touch" in all conditions due to the matte surface. there will be a war at some point between the two.

Latest posts