• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wizard Question

I am partial to 175's but I know there are a ton of folks out there who like 166 thru 169 for their wizards.

It depends if you like to drive with them and if you are a finesse or power putter.

I like the 175's because when I put from 20 to 40 feet - I aim a little high and to the right - I pick'em up on the slight left fade...

Jwt4412 said:
I am partial to Mediums.

I have a medium that is a glossier Green with a bluish-tinge to it. I use it for almost every throw within 185 feet now. My hope is to get good with it out to 200'.

I put with a SuperSoft and it is firmer than the Pro-Rhyno that one of my friends uses. The SuperSoft just doesn't drive as well.

The more the med breaks in the longer it should get, my beat 172 medium is longer (30-50') than a new medium.

and as for my perfered weights
175 soft: putts inside 30'
170 soft: putts outside 30' (I use the 175 for more stable jump puts, and the 170 for straight jump puts)
172 Med wizard Beat drives
175 Med Wizard Stable drives (dont currently have a 175, im looking though)

I have gotten the opportunity to throw a soft wizard. It's flight resembles that of an aviar-x very much (which I like), and it feels somehow more rigid and nicer to hold. I'm sure one of medium stiffness would feel even better.
Actually, how much big of a difference is there between a soft and a medium one?

...And hey, they are really nice looking to! The cool stamp + the round shape of the lower half of the rim (more natural looking than an aviar imo) + the fat bead... Yummie :p

almost none...

The mediums seem "glossier" to me but not much harder... that said softs aren't that soft...

I'll agree that there isn't a huge difference between soft and medium wizards, but it is noticeable enough to the extent that I could tell them apart if blindfolded.

The firm wizards are another story. I think they've been lovingly carved out of brick. :D

sleepy

sleepy said:
The firm wizards are another story. I think they've been lovingly carved out of brick. :D

sleepy

Sweet! I ordered a firm from GGGT in the hopes that it would be stiff enough to resist taco effects after a few tree hits for approaches and drives. If I like the putting enough I'll order a Soft or Supersoft for putting.

Pagan

My Soft is able to handle full power drives into tree with little to no tacoing or dimpling. My Medium is like the old "boink" Aviars, it doesn't bounce far at all off trees and in return tacos like no other. It has a cratered surface and is in no way round or flat. It has become my finesse putter though, until I get another Medium. From what TDK has been telling me mediums usually don't behave like this, so I hope mine was a fluke experimental run. Not to mention my medium grabs chains like my soft now...

i'm using the mediums now. i got some new ones that are really stable for a putter... i have to throw them with a touch of anhyzer to prolong the fade. i have a beat in one that's perfect. it still has its perfect shape and the 'knicks' taken out of it are very small... it's held up REALLY well. i'll bet yours was a wierd one weebl.

the main difference between a soft and a medium is the soft will get softer as it breaks in (or is tuned) while the medium will say about the same. My broken in medium has a much higher resistance to turn than a slightly broken in soft. (a new soft will be more stable than a broken in med, but breaks in faster and further than a med will)

the newer mediums are extremely stiff (if they are light blue or teal).

all of the mediums we have gotten in this year have been that way...

Blake_T said:
the newer mediums are extremely stiff (if they are light blue or teal).

all of the mediums we have gotten in this year have been that way...

I was thinking a supersoft for putting, and a firm for drives/approaches
I am looking for a soft that closely matches the Elite-X soft from Discraft. Would the supersoft compare?

Pagan

To those out there wondering WTF about all the Wizard hoopla; It's not misguided or follow the rest of the flock mentality. I got out today to the course and was thoroughily impressed with the Wizard. I played holes 2 -7, 10, 14,15, 17, and 18 with it off the teepad. In fact I was throwing it so much today that one of the people in my foursome made a smart-assed comment on 16 (a 400' hole) asking if I was gonna throw it.

The only time I turned it over unintentionally was when I botched my release and it hung up on my pinkie finger. I found it to be the ultimate approach disc. It also putts very well. I do want to get a soft for putts as I have a firm now for drives/approaches.

Dave and Gateway crew; fuken-awesome disc!
Thanks to crew here for reccomending it!

Pagan

I fell into the trap as well, I like my wizard. I saw presidio hills' Medium Wizards and they're nice... I want something that will slowly break in too, so I don't think I'm going to get a firm for driving. My Soft is driving like a champ though.

Are the teal ones hard to find in high grass?
Are there stiff grey mediums as well, and what shade of grey are they in, in that case?

Weebl said:
I fell into the trap as well, I like my wizard. I saw presidio hills' Medium Wizards and they're nice... I want something that will slowly break in too, so I don't think I'm going to get a firm for driving. My Soft is driving like a champ though.

I would reccomend getting a med for driving, the softs break in differently and will become slightly understable (very straight or gradual right) while a med will beat in and just get really straight, and a bit longer. I use my beat med wiz for most drives under 225' but I do use a soft for gradual right turns or where I want straight w/ o the possibilty of fade (ob left ect)

Prepare the rotten tomatos for throwing...

I too broke down and purchased a Wizard. The store I went to only had the "super soft" which wasn't floppy by any standard. It reminded me of Innova DX firmness.

Anyway, I've been carying it around for a couple weeks now evaluating it.

1st impression: This thing holds a line really well. Thrown hyzer, it holds the line the whole way. Straight, will fly straight and a gentle fade at the end. And WOW I can throw this thing a long way.

More experience: Yes I can throw this a long way...way past the basket. So I tried easing up a bit...too short. Perhaps I'm having an off day... Grabs the Rhyno... Dead on! (Rinse, Lather, Repeat...Same results)

I kept the disc in the bag for another couple weeks so I could get in a few more comparison reps between the Wizard and Rhyno.

Results: FOR ME, the Wizard is just too floaty to be a reliable approach disc. I personally think an approach disc should fall out of the sky where you want it too. (This is why ball golf high irons and pitching wedges go in a high arc isn't it?) I'm retiring the Wizard today going back to my old standby, the Rhyno.

Perhaps this is just a matter of knowing the Rhyno better, but I'm very pleased with my results with the Rhyno and not so impressed with my results with the Wizard.