• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wizard Question

When I approach with the Wizard, if at all possible, I aim in front of and to the right (I'm right handed) of the basket rather than at the basket. If I aim at the basket, I almost always overshoot.

<----- tomato in hand>

was way impressed with the wizard.

i got a firm 168g. it feels awkward driving it. need more practice driving it.

but approaches and putts are impressive.

it does hold its line. the first 10% of its flight is the same line as the last 10% (except when i'm driving it)

was fooling around with it and tried some knife hyzers - a totally different animal. the knife hyzer flipped to horizontal and parachuted straight down. it may have even lost distance on the way down.

*** Dodges first tomato gets second square in the face ***

My guess is that few would love this disc for knife hyzers.

I'm convinced that this is a "know what you throw" issue and I have been extremely happy with my approaches lately (with other discs).

Currently, I lose a stroke every 36 holes or so due to approach mistakes. Putting...now that's another issue.

In fact, when I can get an 80% confidence level from 25-33', I may try the Wizard again. Maybe get a couple 1 in 100 approaches that go in :twisted: and miss 5 in 100 long comeback putts :wink: Then again, maybe I should leave the Wizard out of the bag!

its definately a know what you throw, and changing putters takes longer to learn than drivers or mids. My change to the wizard was gradual and not too easy. But it was an easier decision because I didnt have any attachment to my previous putters.

How does the flightpath of a new firm differ from a new medium wizard? and once broken in? time of break in? ex: firm is 5x longer to break in than a medium used just as frequently

the only firm ive owned didnt get used enough to break in like my medium. It seemed alittle less prone to breaking in, but seemed like it could crack easier.

New they fly fairly similar to mediums, possibly a touch higher resistance to turn, but my beat medium still has a higher resistance to turn than I need :wink:

Been playing a lot lately and I've got to say the wizard is the best damn disc in my bag. 200 ft. and in and I'm parked every time. Wind or not, doesn't matter. My soft s is broken in perfectly and it will never leave my bag. btw just got back from playing and the wizard holed out 4 100+ ft shots for me saving par twice and birdying twice, just felt like dogpiling on the wizard praise.

Had my best round on the course at my work, -10 and 16 out of 18 teeshots were with the wizzard. The sad thing is I missed 5 birdie putts from 35 and in :/

Weebl said:
Had my best round on the course at my work
Congratulations, and where on earth do you work that has a course on site?!

Weebl said:
The sad thing is I missed 5 birdie putts from 35 and in :/
The Wizard is a great arrow, but it's still all about the Indian. :wink:

sleepy

discmonkey42 said:
200 ft. and in and I'm parked every time.
That's how mine work for me on the good days. On the bad days the damn things still sail long and wide right. That has nothing really to do with the disc though. :wink:

Weebl said:
Had my best round on the course at my work, -10 and 16 out of 18 teeshots were with the wizzard. The sad thing is I missed 5 birdie putts from 35 and in :/

Lucky bastard! I'm wondering where ya work that has a disc golf course.

Sulking;
Pagan

I work at the Carmel Middle School Habitat, working in an area dedicated to native plant restoration/propogation and organic gardening. They have a 18-hole mach-V course around their athletic fields. I wish I went to a middle school like this, but working in a garden with a disc golf course in eyesight will suffice. :wink:

I heard that they recently installed a course here in denver for the pepsi plant workers.... (I really want to hear more about this course and what it would take to get me on it)

Just walk up with a pepsi T-shirt (sharpie on a white shirt will do), a pepsi in hand.

I think I am ready to buy into the wizzard cult. I currently use a JK aviar X for putting, but would like to give the wizzard a try. I am currently revamping my bag in an effort to correct my form, and everything I have heard about the wizzard sounds like it would be perfect. What would you guys reccomend as far as stiffness, color, and the best place to purchase?

I also used the JK Aviar-X before switiching to the Wizard. If you like the Aviar-X try a SS or one of the soft Glow wizards. I went straight to a soft and love the firmness of the flightplate yet still tacky. I can't wait to try the firms and mediums, mainly for driving, but for putting too.

Weebl said:
I also used the JK Aviar-X before switiching to the Wizard. If you like the Aviar-X try a SS or one of the soft Glow wizards. I went straight to a soft and love the firmness of the flightplate yet still tacky. I can't wait to try the firms and mediums, mainly for driving, but for putting too.

Got a "firm" for driving and approaches. Very stiff and handles tree hits very well. Got a SuperGlow "soft" and it's not quite soft enough for my tastes. I will order a SuperSoft soon. To compare the firmness; my FIRM is comparable to a brand new Elite-Z in max weight. The SuperGlow soft is kinda like the Elite-X softs on the challengers and putt'rs

I am LUVIN the Wizards! Some of the people I regularly play with have even noticed the improvements. "Damn, Harold your like straight to the basket with that thing!"

Pagan

Its not so much durability I'm worried about, as my soft is finally breaking in to be a straight flier with little fade. I'm looking for something I can get to rip out of my hand more comfortably, and I want to experiment.

i am finding that my firm wizard is super sticky in the chains.

i've had it 2 weeks. thought it (the firm) would have a tendency to bounce out or cut through. very kewl.

i'm still getting used to it flying straight. hehe - i have the habit of aiming to the right of the basket. hence, letting it fade to the hole. now i have to change my putting throw.

"bad, wizard, bad!"
hehe

Latest posts