• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizards

the_matt_peters

Par Member
I am looking to try out some new putters. I have heard good things about the wizards from gateway. I'm a little confused about the S, SS, SSS. I realize that it's talking about how flexible they are. Isn't that a preference thing? I've always had my 169g star dart that I've used. Don't know which to compare it to or which wizards are most popular out there.

S, SS, and SSS actually refer to the feel of the surface according to Gateway. Flexibility is all over the place and you must feel them to determine it. That being said, get a bunch of them and find out what you like and practice with the rest.

There is a lot of inconsistency between runs, so the line between s, ss, and sss is generally very gray. I use an SS but have a couple SSS in the practice stack as well. I stick with the SS probably just because that's what I had first.

My best recommendation is find a store that sells them so that you can feel them for yourself. Pick whatever one feels best in your hand and don't even look at what level of S it's rated as.

There is a lot of inconsistency between runs, so the line between s, ss, and sss is generally very gray. I use an SS but have a couple SSS in the practice stack as well. I stick with the SS probably just because that's what I had first.

My best recommendation is find a store that sells them so that you can feel them for yourself. Pick whatever one feels best in your hand and don't even look at what level of S it's rated as.

this^^

If you have a few extra bucks laying around, and a little salesmanship, Dave will send you a box of putters for a very reasonable price (probably right around $6/each shipped). He is very eager to please everyone that shows an interest in his products. Have him send you a handful each of a bunch of different flexibilities and you should be able to cherry pick the ones you want and sell the rest without a problem...Wizards seem to dissapear rather quickly!

fondling them in a store is the best and only way i buy putters anymore. if i didnt have disc nation and their inventory of both x-outs/misprints/stock stamps, i would go through gateways fb deal and get 10 putters and tell them my preference and ask that they all be nearly the same. (for me thats sticky tackiness, semi firm plate but has flex, preferably same run, max weight)

I use the SS version, but it's unfortunately true that it takes getting your hands on them to decide if it's right for you.
The solution of contacting Matt is a good one... In all likelyhood if you order 6 from him (2 of each softness) he'll do his best to match them between levels (so the 2 SSS feel the same)

I don't recommend ordering them online because of their inconsistencies...you may get one that you love, and never be able to get one similar from an online retailer.

Gateway says the inconsistency is intentional because everyone has their own preference... which is great if you can walk into a store full of Gateway...but terrible if you rely on online retailers to stock up.

Yea, I'm actually talking to Dave right now about getting some. I'm thinking about getting some SSSS that are still in the warehouse along with my order. Any body heard anything about these? That way I can get a variety of them and feel all of them and then sell the rest.

Pm'd if interested in something, should be ordering soon (within a few days, will be moving soon and want to make sure they come to the address that I'm at)

Try out an Organic Wizards for sure. They're usually my favorite; a soft plastic, but a stiff disc. Otherwise I usually prefer a Soft, great for push putting and driving.
Also, read this article on Gateway putter plastics to understand where the markings are coming from - article link.

Last edited:
I had to rely on various tourney stamped issues from local disc golfers to find my perfect Wizard. Unfortunately I don't live in an area with disc golf retailers (we have a Play it Again, and that's it). So whenever a local or semi-local tournament would get stamped Wizards, I would have to bogart one off someone I play leagues with. Usually the discs are very similar through a specific tournament run. But with patience and a lot of experimenting, you'll find it. I'd even say it's more satisfying to find a Gateway putter you really like than, say, a Focus or Rhyno because you have to devote much more time to finding YOUR Wizard.

I love my organic wiz for putting and putting only. It seems like it wouldn't stand up to a lot of abuse. I use an SS for upshots and it is relatively stiff

I felt the organic at the bg ams flymart and it was one of those moments where you say "I GOTTA have this"

Like everyone else has said its a matter of finding what you like. I have 6 wizards I have picked up at different times and they are all different. I have 2 ss that are really stiff and slick, 1 ss that is tacky and slightly flexible, an sss that is almost identical in feel to the tacky ss, a glow that is flexible but slick, and an sss that is flexible and tacky
So yeah they are inconsistent but they are great once you find what you like

Recently picked up my first wizard at a tourney and it has become my go to putter for short/downhill drives and long approach putts. I agree with everyone about the inconsistencies because mine is a SSS and my friend's SS is both tackier and more flexible.

Wizards are just great putters. I use a 175 SSS. They do have different feels, I have picked up some that were real tacky, and some real smooth. My favorite has a tacky feel, but the putter itself is firm, not real flexable.

The great thing about a Wizard is they are just as good at approach. My Roc mostly sits in my bag with rare use because of my Wizard.

I have had good fortune in getting 2 very similar, and using one for approach and one for putting, both max weight. Today it payed off, because it was a very windy day, but the Wizards just blasted right through.

Last edited:
Personally, I putt with a black Organic (the first one I ever got), but I'm working hard to break in a Medium to replace it. I've personally found that the Mediums are as good, if not better at grabbing the chains than any of the other 40 of varying flexibilities that I own. Whenever my two do finally season, they'll be butter. Plus they're incredible off the tee.

I do think that you're being smart by ordering yours in pairs though. I love every Wizard I have and could use any of them and be happy, but I've been unable to find one that feels exactly like my pure putter. Once my Mediums season though, it won't matter one bit.

ya gateways inconsistency is soooooooo ridiculous.i have an og that is flexier than any i have ever seen.
been trying to find another for a long time. just got an ssss on here and it is stiff like an ss. so angry guess i need to try an rff. for sure need to feel them before you buy them or you most likely be dissapointed like me.

Latest posts