• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Women's Max Distance with a Putter (+ Short Intro)

... I realize they can be hard to find, but keep on the lookout for some experienced women players who can watch you throw and give you pointers. ... Which makes me think, if you want to be inspired, go to a tournament in the Triangle and just follow the Pro women for a round as a gallery. ...

You may also know that the type of plastic affects stability. ... Throw really understable discs until you can turn them over (fly to the right) then gradually move up your stability. You can get more stability in the same mold with 1) heavier weight, 2) denser plastic.

Yes, very hard to find. Of all the times I've been out to the course, I've only met two women, but they played only casually and I was the one giving them pointers... All the other women I've seen looked like they were just along for the ride with their boyfriends (and would make introducing myself really awkward).
Thanks for the additional names! They'll be helpful to know if I ever do run into them.
As far as tournaments, I've tried to find some where women are registered, but the ones I'd found were all past. I'll keep-a lookin' though.

I think I heard about understable to stable plastic differences, but I'd forgotten.
I actually already can turn over my understable discs when I want to (and often when I don't want to oop) with an anhyzer release.

Discette is a very experienced player with a wealth of knowledge, so take heed of everything she has to say!

Will do!

I think I heard about understable to stable plastic differences, but I'd forgotten.
The easy way to remember about plastic is that the more dense the plastic the more stable (an exception might be StarLite which may be denser than DX). More dense = more stable.
Another big indicator of stability is the width of the rim. Wider rim = more stable because it makes it harder to give the disc the amount of spin that makes it turn right (assuming RHBH).

IchLebeErneut said:
I actually already can turn over my understable discs when I want to (and often when I don't want to oops with an anhyzer release.
Just to clear and precise, when a disc starts to turn over on a flat release, from it's own natural propensity, that is when it is time to move to more stable. Any disc can be thrown on a big anhyzer angle and at least start out turning left to right (RHBH). Of course, you also want to carry an understable turnover disc in your bag for those left to right shots, but for the purpose of this discussion our focus is in comparison to throwing flat and straight.

... More dense = more stable. ... Wider rim = more stable because it makes it harder to give the disc the amount of spin that makes it turn right (assuming RHBH).

Just to clear and precise, when a disc starts to turn over on a flat release, from it's own natural propensity, that is when it is time to move to more stable. Any disc can be thrown on a big anhyzer angle and at least start out turning left to right (RHBH). ...

Makes sense. Thanks!

Ah, alright. I was wondering if had more to do with flat releases. Not sure if I can do that yet. It's hard to tell if I'm truly releasing flat or not without filming myself throw, which I've done a bit of but not with nearly enough good throws to see how I did them.

This is a great thread. First off I'll start by saying that I am a female golfer that just turned Pro this year. Currently, I am 883 rated, but should be much closer to my goal of 900 for the season by the next update. I throw putters on any "regular" hole that is under 250 feet. I say regular hole because there are cases where I would opt for a driver at that distance, low ceilings, huge dog legs, etc. My max distance with a putter is right around 260-270, that said my max distance with a mid range is about the same. If I jump up to a distance driver, keep in mind my distance drivers are 11 speed, so around the Valkyrie/Wraith speed, I can get it out over 350 on a regular basis.

Just wanted to throw some numbers out there for you so you kinda had something to go by. I would say I'm an average pro player.

On another note, I highly, highly recommend the Lat 64 Diamond as something you should look into. Not only is it a great beginner disc, anyone from a beginner to a top player can throw one. A lot of people will pretend like they are too flippy and only make a good roller disc, but they are just wrong. I can throw a diamond well past 350 and have it fade to the left (RHBH) at the end of its flight. It's all about form.

For weights, I completely agree with Discette, lighter drivers, heavier mids and putters. All of my distance drivers and most of my fairway drivers are less than 165, while all of my mids and putters are over 175. Personally, I would recommend an understable mid range in regular weights, 170ish, maybe something like a Westside Tursas or a Discraft Comet. Again they are great for beginners but will be something you can still throw as you build your arm speed.

I would also recommend trying to find a local ladies league to participate in. A lot of times they are free, for fun, leagues and are a great place to get advice from other women. Another thing to think about is looking for Women's only disc golf tournaments if you do want to get into playing competitively. A lot of times there is a lot less presure when playing with just the ladies and they also often have every division available. Its a great way to get your feet wet in tournament play. North Carolina is a mecca for disc golf and as mentioned there are tons of great female players in the area. Debbie Scott in the Charlotte area is a wonderful person and mentor, as mentioned Elaine King, not sure exactly what area she is in, there's a terrific Prodigy sponsored player in the Asheville area, Jennifer McGibbon, and tons of others. So happy to hear of another lady getting into the game though, we need more for sure.

If your goal is to be at the top of the game, learn your putters and mids before you break out the drivers. Know all your discs and what kind of lines you can make them fly. Football fields are great for measuring distances.

I don't 100% agree with that. I think reaching max distance potential is much harder than learning how to putt. Putting is primarily repetitive muscle memory training, doing the same thing over and over, that's how you become a great putter regardless of form or style. Getting your max d potential off the tee takes time due to so many mechanics, body motions, pulleys, levers, etc, all working together. I think learning to drive, properly with good form, is similar to learning how to dance. It just takes time.

I watch pro women (FPO) all the time! Paige Pierce is a local favorite and I've followed her game the past few years closely. In the FPO division your goal for driving potential should be around 320-350. You won't be throwing as far Paige (who seems to max out around 375-400ft at pdga tournaments) or Jennifer Allen (female record distance owner) but that distance will definitely keep you in the game.

From the PDGA: "A top Open Women's player will have played at least 5 years, throws 300-375 feet accurately, make 6-8/10 putts from 25-30 feet, throws backhand and forehand. Ratings Guideline: 925+"

Based on all the FPO videos I've watched, alot of tournaments are won by having a solid short game. The drives vary wildly from player to player, but the upshots and putting..that's where you see some solid player separation. Paige's putting has come a long way and she obviously has an easier time "going for it" from outside the circle than most of her competitors.

I am a woman over 50 and have been playing for 20 years. To answer the original questions, I can throw my (175 gram) putters around 200 feet.

When I started, I never ever heard any advice about throwing only putters...Thank God! I learned how to throw shots without flutter, by learning to throw 150 gram drivers. If you can control a 150 gram driver, you can control anything. Once I got that 150 gram Leopard to fly like I wanted I could use that skill on other discs. It could go straight, turn or hyzer.

You should learn to throw mid ranges and drivers just like you are learning to throw putters, you don't have to wait.

Learn to throw putters, midrange and drivers all at the same time. Throw all three discs on every hole or during practice. Learn how each are different from each other and how each works best for you. Don't limit yourself.

All my drivers are 150 grams or less to get maximum distance with minimum effort. All of my putters and mids are 175 grams. I like the control of the slower, heavier putters.

The best advice I can give is to have fun!

What Suzette said. ^^^^

I don't 100% agree with that. I think reaching max distance potential is much harder than learning how to putt. Putting is primarily repetitive muscle memory training, doing the same thing over and over, that's how you become a great putter regardless of form or style. Getting your max d potential off the tee takes time due to so many mechanics, body motions, pulleys, levers, etc, all working together. I think learning to drive, properly with good form, is similar to learning how to dance. It just takes time.

I watch pro women (FPO) all the time! Paige Pierce is a local favorite and I've followed her game the past few years closely. In the FPO division your goal for driving potential should be around 320-350. You won't be throwing as far Paige (who seems to max out around 375-400ft at pdga tournaments) or Jennifer Allen (female record distance owner) but that distance will definitely keep you in the game.

From the PDGA: "A top Open Women's player will have played at least 5 years, throws 300-375 feet accurately, make 6-8/10 putts from 25-30 feet, throws backhand and forehand. Ratings Guideline: 925+"

Based on all the FPO videos I've watched, alot of tournaments are won by having a solid short game. The drives vary wildly from player to player, but the upshots and putting..that's where you see some solid player separation. Paige's putting has come a long way and she obviously has an easier time "going for it" from outside the circle than most of her competitors.

I think the person you quoted was talking about "throwing" or "driving" with putters, not putting itself. From that vein, I agree with with both him and Suzette. Learning to throw putters and lightweight drivers without flutter perfects your form. That's why those of us who teach a lot will always give out that advice. Everyone I know who's learned to throw a putter 280-300', can throw a driver better than 400'.

What Suzette said. ^^^^

I think the person you quoted was talking about "throwing" or "driving" with putters, not putting itself. From that vein, I agree with with both him and Suzette. Learning to throw putters and lightweight drivers without flutter perfects your form. That's why those of us who teach a lot will always give out that advice. Everyone I know who's learned to throw a putter 280-300', can throw a driver better than 400'.

ahh..sorry...I took it as if the advice was not to throw drivers until you get your short game down. Now it makes sense. :) Thx for the clarification.

Latest posts