• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Women's qualifying spot for USDGC?

Should an Open spot be reserved for a female player in the USDGC?

• Yes

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • Undecided/other

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters

kerplunk

Double Eagle Member
So as I have been psyching myself up for the USDGC it occurred to me that maybe there should be at least one spot in the Open field reserved for a woman. Hear me out.

According to this document, all Open spots go to top 10 finishers from the previous year and top 5 finishers in the MPO division of qualifying events. So the only way for a woman to qualify is to play MPO at one of the qualifying events. This of course does not make sense for any female player if there is a FPO division due to the added cash, fewer players in FPO, and the lack of depth in talent in FPO.

My biggest reservation on holding a spot just for a female player is that it seems that another way a female player could qualify is to get one of the top 5 scores at one of the qualifying events, regardless of division. However, this is contingent on FPO playing the same courses and layouts as MPO, which sometimes isn't true.

Another reason I think a spot should be reserved for a female is that it seems one of the goals of the USDGC is to showcase a diversity of players from around the country and the world, and what better way to do that than have at least one top female in the mix?

And score-wise, it looks like Paige Pierce would have finished in the middle of the pack last year. So while a female qualifier may not have a realistic chance to win, I think she could definitely compete.

A female qualifier could be chosen based on a qualifying event, overall rating or performance, or maybe aggregate performance in a few qualifying events.

So to sum up, I think at least one spot should be reserved for a female player in the Open division of the USDGC. Thoughts?

I like that the Ladies still have an opportunity in Monday qualifying. It adds a fair bit of drama to that day. Getting in on Monday might be easier for a female (paige) then any other time.

I don't think they should hold a spot for the women. If they wanted to open a small womens field I'd be down with that no prob

Another reason I think a spot should be reserved for a female is that it seems one of the goals of the USDGC is to showcase a diversity of players from around the country and the world, and what better way to do that than have at least one top female in the mix?

The only way in which the USDGC showcases a diversity of players is in the Performance Flight...women play that every year, even win it.

The Open Flight is strictly for the best of the best, period. There's no real reason to make exceptions for anyone.

So to sum up, I think at least one spot should be reserved for a female player in the Open division of the USDGC. Thoughts?

No. They have the opportunity to qualify just like everyone else, be it at a qualifying event or on Monday.

If they wanted to open a small womens field I'd be down with that no prob

That event was held last weekend in Ohio. Why repeat it?

So are we going to see the Annika Sorenstam of disc golf? With that being said, yes, I think females should have every opportunity to play with males.. On a touchier subject, what about transgendered players?

So are we going to see the Annika Sorenstam of disc golf? With that being said, yes, I think females should have every opportunity to play with males.. On a touchier subject, what about transgendered players?

This is a topic I would love to have an answer. Could a man with a sex change be allowed in fpo? I told one of my buddies this is his solution of becoming a world champion.

That event was held last weekend in Ohio. Why repeat it?

Because it was pretty poorly attended? Folding that event into the USDGC would be a better option for the FPO players and be a better way to promote the ladies. Not saying that we have to our should, but I don't think its a bad idea.

Because it was pretty poorly attended? Folding that event into the USDGC would be a better option for the FPO players and be a better way to promote the ladies. Not saying that we have to our should, but I don't think its a bad idea.

It started out with Ladies folded into the USDGC (actually run concurrently with) the first few years.

Haven't they traditionally given the USWDGC winner a spot? Granted, that might have been in the pre-performance flight days.

That being said, I don't think women have to prove themselves in athletic endeavors anywhere by competing against men.

It would be nice to see one big tourney a year that is open to all genders. I'd watch that

It would be nice to see one big tourney a year that is open to all genders. I'd watch that

MPO is actually the Open division, anyone can play in it (i.e. no gender/age restrictions). Sometimes pro women play in MPO when there aren't any other pro women in the tourney.

Or, are you suggesting a handicapped tournament?

No handicap, just straight up and pure. One tournament a year. Why not, would be good publicity.

No handicap, just straight up and pure. One tournament a year. Why not, would be good publicity.

Again, every tournament has that. All are welcome to play MPO. 770 rated transgender lefties to 1053 rated human robots can all sign up to play MPO.

I'm talking about a tournament specifically designed to be men/women. Not at a time when women would have to choose between a FPO or MPO.

Valerie has played USDGC several times, hasn't she?
Don't know the specifics, but it seems like she even made it past the cut once.
Anyone have more info?

Valerie has played USDGC several times, hasn't she?
Don't know the specifics, but it seems like she even made it past the cut once.
Anyone have more info?

Several women have played the USDGC, and some have made the cut (I think at least one has cashed as well). Prior to 2011, it was a "one division, one champion" event in which many women competed every year. At that time, they invited the women's world champ, the am world champ, US champs of all sorts (women, am, masters), every open division world champ ever, every former USDGC champ, a rep from every state (selected by PDGA state coordinators), plus qualifiers in various tournaments. The field topped out at 192 players in 2009.

In 2011, the instituted the Performance Flight (no Open Flight). In 2012, they ran both concurrently. When they did that, they shifted all the state rep spots to Performance and did away with inviting the various World/US champs, making the Open Flight strictly a qualifying event. If you don't earn your spot at a qualifying event within the previous 12 months, you don't play the Open Flight.

Several women have played the USDGC, and some have made the cut (I think at least one has cashed as well).

Yes, Juliana cashed in 2001. I'm pretty sure that's the only female to have cashed.

What I can't recall for sure, is whether she (or any other female) ever qualified in a non-exempt manner --- that is, by finishing in the Top 5 Previously Unqualified) in a qualifying tournament. I'm ALMOST SURE she did. I have no idea if any other women ever have. (Edit: Well, I should have googled --- According to this page, both Des and Juliana qualified on score at a qualifier: https://discussion.pdga.com/discussion/archive/index.php/t-18757.html )

By the way, a few months ago I posted the cash line and field size since 2001:

Code:
Year	Cash	Field
2001	997	122
2002	1001	150
2003	997	158
2004	998	179
2005	997	183
2006	1005	174
2007	1000	168
2008	998	188
2009	1005	191
2010	1001	182
2011	DERP	123
2012	1000	58
2013	1018	58
2014	1008	64

Last edited:
Several women have played the USDGC, and some have made the cut (I think at least one has cashed as well). Prior to 2011, it was a "one division, one champion" event in which many women competed every year. At that time, they invited the women's world champ, the am world champ, US champs of all sorts (women, am, masters), every open division world champ ever, every former USDGC champ, a rep from every state (selected by PDGA state coordinators), plus qualifiers in various tournaments.

Don't forget the TDs of qualifying events and sponsor's exemptions, which, IIRC, could be anywhere from 2-10/sponsor, depending on the level of sponsorship.

Latest posts