• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wooded courses strategy question.

fountg

Par Member
So theres a course close to me that quite honestly isnt the best maintained. I mean it seems to be upkept somewhat, but there are multiple missing basket situations (That work out fine, because you can still sort of 'make' 18 out of it) since the course is sort of a 9 basket loop, you can sort of shoot from like the 10 tee at the 1 basket and so forth.

But one thing that frustrates me and absolutely tanks my score is there are 4 baskets (2 on the front 9, then the equivalent 2 on the back half) where you absolutely cannot see the basket from the tee, or really even where its supposed to be. Its entirely blind. Now I know you can obviously walk on up and check it out and then go back to the tee, but is this normal? Im talking about not just situations where you have to get it around a corner or something, but more like a 275ft basket, where theres tons of trees in front of you, and essentially to even get near the basket youve got to go through the trees about 120ft, then curve around an out of bounds zone (super thick trees and brush and bushes where theres just no way you are shooting from, you can barely even climb into this stuff) to where the basket is actually fully on the back end of that stuff.

I know this sounds a bit like just complaining about difficult baskets, but this seems impractical right? Like 4/18 just have no actual line to the basket. Is this a case of me needing to suck it up and 'get good' or is this a common problem courses have?

I wouldnt really call this a problem, this sounds half way normal to me. I would assume that the more you play the course the more you will know what lines to hit and thus you wont have to walk up and see where the basket is. But it is also completely normal to walk up the fairway to look at the line that needs to be hit. Just keep practicing

there are holes that don't have good lines that are just poke and pray. On the DGPT they talk about that in some areas. I think it was Texas State Championship that this was an issue on numerous holes. It sucks for sure.

Yeah, I just played a really great course that had all sorts of blind shots and many with extreme elevation changes. I was lucky to have three playing ahead of me so I could see where they were shooting. I didn't do well, but this sort of course requires you to know the holes. Best thing is to just commit it to memory by playing a bunch.

So theres a course close to me that quite honestly isnt the best maintained. I mean it seems to be upkept somewhat, but there are multiple missing basket situations (That work out fine, because you can still sort of 'make' 18 out of it) since the course is sort of a 9 basket loop, you can sort of shoot from like the 10 tee at the 1 basket and so forth.

But one thing that frustrates me and absolutely tanks my score is there are 4 baskets (2 on the front 9, then the equivalent 2 on the back half) where you absolutely cannot see the basket from the tee, or really even where its supposed to be. Its entirely blind. Now I know you can obviously walk on up and check it out and then go back to the tee, but is this normal? Im talking about not just situations where you have to get it around a corner or something, but more like a 275ft basket, where theres tons of trees in front of you, and essentially to even get near the basket youve got to go through the trees about 120ft, then curve around an out of bounds zone (super thick trees and brush and bushes where theres just no way you are shooting from, you can barely even climb into this stuff) to where the basket is actually fully on the back end of that stuff.

I know this sounds a bit like just complaining about difficult baskets, but this seems impractical right? Like 4/18 just have no actual line to the basket. Is this a case of me needing to suck it up and 'get good' or is this a common problem courses have?

This is an awful lot good courses. As a traveling player, walking up to find pins is just part of the joy.

But one thing that frustrates me and absolutely tanks my score is there are 4 baskets (2 on the front 9, then the equivalent 2 on the back half) where you absolutely cannot see the basket from the tee, or really even where its supposed to be. Its entirely blind.

Blind baskets shouldn't be a problem once you are familiar with the course. For long, wooded courses with lots of elevation changes, this is pretty common. But on a well-designed woods hole, the shape of the fairway should suggest how to reach the basket.

On the other hand, baskets with no reasonable path to get there would be a problem.

. . . Like 4/18 just have no actual line to the basket. Is this a case of me needing to suck it up and 'get good' or is this a common problem courses have?

What course is this? If there is "no actual line to the basket" it doesn't matter how good you get. ;)

Probably not an ideal option, but is there any chance to go over the top?
Sometimes that's just the way to go.

there are holes that don't have good lines that are just poke and pray. On the DGPT they talk about that in some areas. I think it was Texas State Championship that this was an issue on numerous holes. It sucks for sure.

I see the "poke & pray" comment from posters and dg'ers a lot. That is RARELY the case imho, particularly on championship courses, like Dogwood Gold in Tyler, TX. Often times, though, the "open line" is not the direct one to the basket. Sometimes designers (I know I do) want you to choose the line that, when executed well, will leave you 25-35 feet left/right/short/deep of the basket -- thus forcing you to HAVE to putt well to get the birdie (no park jobs unless you get extremely lucky). It's only the line to park it, that's so-called "poke-and-pray" -- and that's not the intended line in these cases.

See. It's an intentional design element.

I wouldnt really call this a problem, this sounds half way normal to me. I would assume that the more you play the course the more you will know what lines to hit and thus you wont have to walk up and see where the basket is. But it is also completely normal to walk up the fairway to look at the line that needs to be hit. Just keep practicing

oooh yaahh

I have two courses in my city. One is an 18 hole course where every basket except two are clearly visible from the tee pad. No water and very little tall grass. The other is a 12 hole course where there is tall grass and several holes where you can't see the basket for trees or a hill. I absolutely hated it at first, but it didn't take long till you learned the lines that you needed to take to get to the basket. It's basically just a learning curve, but I still prefer the course that it more open.

I see the "poke & pray" comment from posters and dg'ers a lot. That is RARELY the case imho, particularly on championship courses, like Dogwood Gold in Tyler, TX. Often times, though, the "open line" is not the direct one to the basket. Sometimes designers (I know I do) want you to choose the line that, when executed well, will leave you 25-35 feet left/right/short/deep of the basket -- thus forcing you to HAVE to putt well to get the birdie (no park jobs unless you get extremely lucky). It's only the line to park it, that's so-called "poke-and-pray" -- and that's not the intended line in these cases.

Yep, good point. I think the perception is sometimes regional. We play in the woods, a lot. Many golfers from areas that have predominantly open courses, think our wooded course are crazy hard and punitive.

so is this Hindman Park? holes 4 and 7? how different does it look now compared to the pictures here?

I'm still a beginner, but hole 18 on ZBoaz is a poak and pray IMO.

The disc width line is ridiculous.

Yes, there are disc width lines. That's the point of the statement poke and pray. You CAN get through, but the lines are so tight that getting through involves as much luck as skill.

I don't suggest this is common, but to say it doesn't exist is false.

To be clear, I'm only referring to one particular hole as an example of poke and pray. I have no idea what the OP is dealing with, but given my one hole I feel meets that criteria, it is entirely possible one could design multiple holes with the same circumstance.

Take the par 5 that Uli nailed at Waco (I think, it was Texas for sure). It is less than 300'. Per scoring average it is probably a Par 4. But the line is so tight that most ding a tree early. Most=vast majority.

Point is there are holes that rely on luck to create challenge/reward IMO.

I'm not suggesting they should be changed. I think it is an element of this game. Not one that should be incorporated often, but it certainly exists.

Take the par 5 that Uli nailed at Waco (I think, it was Texas for sure). It is less than 300'. Per scoring average it is probably a Par 4. But the line is so tight that most ding a tree early. Most=vast majority.

Point is there are holes that rely on luck to create challenge/reward IMO.

I'm not suggesting they should be changed.

It was The Open at Belton, a Silver Series in Texas right before Texas States that had a 399' par 5 that averages .76 - 1.1 under par with multiple "albatrosses". It was also very broadly disliked by the best players, even Uli who got a 2 on it commented about not liking the hole.

So yeah, I'm suggesting they should be changed. I don't care what kind of crazy stuff you do on just for fun courses, I think wild holes can be a lot of fun, but if you're designing a competitive hole and design it in such a way that luck plays a drastically bigger point than on an average hole then it's crappy design.

But one thing that frustrates me and absolutely tanks my score is there are 4 baskets (2 on the front 9, then the equivalent 2 on the back half) where you absolutely cannot see the basket from the tee, or really even where its supposed to be. Its entirely blind....but is this normal? ...this seems impractical right? Like 4/18 just have no actual line to the basket. Is this a case of me needing to suck it up and 'get good' or is this a common problem courses have?

Be the [disc]. :|

Latest posts