• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wooded, hilly courses with extreme rollaway risks

DGskier

How do players feel about these types of courses and setups? Do you find hilly courses in the woods with tight landing zones, monster rollaways, death putts fun/not fun? fair/unfair? A course where the difficulty of these elements being so extreme, that par is a fantastic score, even for professionals?

I'm also curious, as spectators, would you find this type of course entertaining, something you would want to attend or watch?

An example that I can give, for those who've played it before, is Inverness in Birmingham. I recently played it for the first time, and loved how challenging they made the approach shots and areas around the basket. Your approach shots had to go in a certain landing zone, sometimes very small, or else you were rolling down the hill, or looking at a putt which put the death rollaway on the table.

This and other factors creates a bear of a course, where even the top pros in the woods rarely break par, judging by scores in past tournaments on that property.

As a player, I appreciate these challenges. I would also add wind to the list. I play in an environment where it's always windy (gusting 50mph this past Saturday). Add elevation and tight lines, and you've got yourself some quality golf IMHO.

I understand that these types of challenges are not for everyone, so the diversity of layouts available in any given area should strike a balance. We're looking to develop players, not dissuade them.

. . . An example that I can give, for those who've played it before, is Inverness in Birmingham. I recently played it for the first time, and loved how challenging they made the approach shots and areas around the basket. Your approach shots had to go in a certain landing zone, sometimes very small, or else you were rolling down the hill, or looking at a putt which put the death rollaway on the table.

I loved Inverness, but "Very Hilly & Heavily Wooded" courses are my jam.

Played a somewhat new course this week—The Greens DGC at Ou****er Memorial City Park—that had some very tight fairways. It was a challenge, but it can get very awkward scrambling for an OB disc. Your mind kind of suspends the risk, but a tumble could be a protracted journey. It could also be odd with groups on a crowded day. That said, where are the perfect courses? I'll be heading back for sure because the course has drainage and will be dry when the others are swamps.

I can't think of a more narrow fairway than this, and keeping the whole thing from sliding down the hill is going to be a challenge.

IMG-3197.jpg

Man that is a great photo! Looks like a hole where you've gotta be confident in your game and yourself, or it will eat you alive.

What is the terrain and slope like behind the rock on the right? Do you have to take any consideration to the angle in which the disc lands?

The older I get, the less I look forward to downright treacherous courses... but they're still my favorite!!!

I also pray the day never comes where I become a spectator. :gross:

What is the terrain and slope like behind the rock on the right? Do you have to take any consideration to the angle in which the disc lands?

The green is on the other side of the outcrop on the right. I don't know how you play the hole if you don't have a forehand.

Gross. I prefer to play with no trees, no slopes or elevation, and no water. Just wide open spaces and baskets in fields. Heck, I have trilogy plastic in my bag that flies like brand new after throwing it for four years.

Love it, but I picked up the game in the N.C. mountains. Why else do we go to the woods to throw plastic if it is not to get absurdly stressed out about root kicks? These kind of courses make you think about how every shot is going to land.

There are a ton of examples in bolf where your chance at scoring depends entirely on what part of the green you land on and at what pace.

Granted, it can be overdone -- like when there is nothing interesting about a hole except for a rollaway hazard. But I don't think that was OPs question.

Hard golf = best golf. I want a true par 72 style course and I want to be stressed during the round. The most famous example I've played a bunch is Iron Hill in Delaware...gold tees to gold baskets.

Deuce or die holes break my heart:wall:

How do players feel about these types of courses and setups? Do you find hilly courses in the woods with tight landing zones, monster rollaways, death putts fun/not fun? fair/unfair? A course where the difficulty of these elements being so extreme, that par is a fantastic score, even for professionals?
Well, there's only 258 heavily wooded and very hilly courses out of 8,000 on DGCR, and only 22 new ones since 2020, so I think they are the dinosaurs of dg courses.

Last edited:
I played a pretty fantastic one today 😉

Well, there's only 258 heavily wooded and very hilly courses out of 8,000 on DGCR, and only 22 new ones since 2020, so I think they are the dinosaurs of dg courses.

Well, most of the country/world isn't very hilly, to begin with. DGCR only lists 754 "very hilly" courses, regardless of foliage.

Stoney Hill is listed as only "moderately wooded", because it weaves in and out between dense woods and more open areas....because we like the woods, but we also like variety.

Though, frankly, I'm not sure how precisely either term is defined and applied in the course descriptions. One person's "very" might be another person's "moderately".

i updated minnesota that had 2 courses wrong with "heavily wooded and very hilly"

smh

Latest posts