• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] wooded holes

mattpusa

Par Member
I want to know what everyone throwes on those tight and narrow wooded holes?

me

175 echo star teebird
168 star tl
167 and 172 escapes

Depending on the particular shot, pretty much anything in my bag except the destroyers is fair game. Most of the time I like something that will fly dead straight with less power so I'd say the Leopards, Buzzz, or Fuse get the most work. If the line is stupid narrow, I might use a wizard just so if I nail a tree it won't go ricocheting off into the rough.

beaten in pro leopard, beaten in roc, beaten in wizard. something i can take some steam off of and have it glide through without fading.

i think i may need to get something that'll go a ways down the fair but with less power needed because sometimes i try and rip my teebirds and they just end up flying into the woods to the right because I'm trying to throw it too hard

Typically, something with little fade. Depending on length:
Challenger, Comet, perhaps an ESP Buzzz, Leopard. If really long, I might use a beat Beast, but am more likely to conced so D and use nothing faster than a Leopard and give myself a better chance of staying in the fairway.

Also, I tend to disc up and underpower a bit to avoid turning over. Most of these are seasoned enough that they don't fade hard at all. Like this guy said:
beaten in pro leopard, beaten in roc, beaten in wizard. something i can take some steam off of and have it glide through without fading.

Discraft ESP XL. Dead straight nuts.
In the process of "re-discovering" the XL.

Last edited:
There are a few tightly wooded courses that I play on a regular basis. I mainly throw fairway drivers (teebirds, rivals, volts) and mids (buzzzs, wasps) off the tees. The fastest driver ill throw on these courses are orcs, but ill really only use those on confident 350+ shots. Might throw a valk on the longer ones as well depending on basket placement

Really depends on the line. I throw most of my discs in the woods because I prefer wooded courses to open ones. Main "woods" discs would probably be Pure, Buzzz, Pain, Comet, Gazelle, Firebird.

Two hard lefts - Tracker
One hard right - Archangel
One nearly straight - Leopard or Tracker depending on wind

Overall, Tracker is my woods workhorse

As others have said it depends. But I'll say that my ESP Impact and QMS (used to be Sirius Aurora MS) are my go to woods discs. They're tough and very controllable.

i have the perfect disc
i bought a Pro-D Buzzz specifically to beat into an understable disc
it will not hit a tree

im going to have to start trying my valk its pretty beat in and flies straight with little fade either that or re discover the leopard

When I need to throw a laser shot I use either a Buzzz (BH) or a Teebird (FH).

Also, I tend to disc up and underpower a bit to avoid turning over. Most of these are seasoned enough that they don't fade hard at all. Like this guy said:

In the process of "re-discovering" the XL.

The XL is an awesome disc to underpower when needed. I get out of so many weird jams with that disc.

Latest posts