• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Woodshed/whippin post

hognosesucker

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Heading to paw paw Sunday August 3rd after work. Does anyone know if camping is allowed on site? Anyone know conditions? I'm probably making this into a multi day traveling excursion, so any other tips on where to play would be much appreciated. At some point I need to head back south toward Roanoke.

Camping is allowed on site and you can just show up. $5/day to camp, $5/ a day to play. I usually give a little extra too, because this property is huge and requires a ton of grass cutting to keep it playable. Its hard to say what the conditions are like...I went mid-june for 2 days and it was raining so often the grass was growing back in just 3 days.

If you have never been before, I recommend sunglasses to keep the gnats out of your face (especially while putting lol) and bring some pants just in case the grass is high enough to rub your legs. I got chiggar bites so bad ...it was pure insanity:wall:

They have a Facebook page ( if your on that crap)you can try to find out status of course and I will make some calls and get back to you if I hear anything.

Obviously watch for Rattlers and Copperheads.

I cant wait to get back to Paw Paw in the fall when the leaves are changing( and no bugs)....I may even post a DGRC meetup there sometime mid-October:D

I recommend camping at the top of the hill in a small grove of pines. Just follow the road in past the two ponds and slightly up the hillto the right before the road curves. There are a few holes right there you can play around on, a sweet fire pit and a little shade from the hot sun. Also I like this spot for star gazing as well if the sky permits.

I would definitely contact them before going just out of courtesy since you'll be camping on their private property. Also know that it's a long drive to civilization so stock up on ice and food before getting off the main road.

Chains is right. Make a lot of noise before going into any brush pile.

I would definitely contact them before going just out of courtesy since you'll be camping on their private property. Also know that it's a long drive to civilization so stock up on ice and food before getting off the main road.

Chains is right. Make a lot of noise before going into any brush pile.

Excellent point tbird....have all your supplies because its about 25 min each way to the local convenience store and about 40 to the grocery store. If you wind up needing some supplies, running out of smokes or want a tasty breakfast sammie, Doris' s Deli & grocery in Great Cacapon ( pronounced Kay-pon) is a winner, also there is a Food Lion, some nice restaurants and a park with natural springs, a roman bathhouse and some shopping in Berkeley Springs. Tari's has excellent wings!!!

Here are some courses on your way home that are worth a shot. I have played the course in Staunton. ..its very nice. And based off reviews and what others have said...Walnut Creek is supposed to be a top course on the East Coast. If you got in Paw Paw, Staunton and Walnut Creek....i would say it was a pretty darn good weekend :thmbup:

http:// http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=787

http:// http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=785

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll have figure out what their name is on Facebook. Good suggestions for courses. Played Staunton already and walnut will be included in a trip to the blockhouse if it ever opens again. May loop around through West Virginia.

The Facebook page is Woodshed Disc Golf Course and it looks like they are actually having an event there August 1st-3rd. Gabby has her phone # posted there as well. I would guess this means that the grass is CUT :hfive:

Orange Crush and Seth Burton Memorial DGC in Fairmount, WV is supposed to be silly. Two courses, one complex I believe. Designed by Johnny Sias!!

OC/Seth Burton is awesome, and a great complement to Paw Paw. I would definitely make the effort to get there. Whereas Paw Paw favors huge throws over rolling hills in and out of the woods, SB is a quality park course that's a bit more relaxed while still having plenty of challenge (especially from the longs) and OC is a premiere wooded monster that's immensely technical. OC and the Paw Paw courses are three of the best I've played. West Virginia disc golf has some studs.

Enjoy!

So apparently the event is just going to be played on Woodshed and the Whipping Post will be open to the public. If you are showing up Sunday, you could play on the Whip Post and then get your Woodshed on, on Monday?

Awesome news on the mowing front. Don't think I'll get up there with much daylight left, may just play them both Monday and drive toward oc. Camp at the state forest east of Morgantown.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it but it is worth pointing out that these are long courses - they took 3-3.5 hours each with a partner when I visited. Just to give you an idea of the time it will take to play.

Seth Burton was designed by Johnny Sias, but he didn't design Orange Crush. Seth Burton now has dual baskets on every hole so you can play 4 different layouts anytime there. I just played Orange Crush again last month and it's still one of the most epic courses I've played, and still crushed me physically. Navigation is pretty easy there, but a few of the long tees are easy to miss. OC doesn't get maintained like SB does unless there's a tourney near that time, but it's still playable. Beware of poison ivy on hole 17 and 18 right along the fairway. I updated my reviews a few weeks ago.

I was going to also recommend Walnut Creek, but if you are going around WV, I'd also recommend The Black Course and Timberdoodle Thicket.

Sounds like you are going to have an epic trip!

Yeah I'm really excited to play sb and oc. Sias's home course is badass so I'd imagine these are as well. Originally, I was going to hit timber doodle and monster, but I'm thinking I may just go to the cranberry river and swim on Wednesday.

Yeah I'm really excited to play sb and oc. Sias's home course is badass so I'd imagine these are as well. Originally, I was going to hit timber doodle and monster, but I'm thinking I may just go to the cranberry river and swim on Wednesday.
I was hoping to play Lucky 8 last month, but Johnny was still ill from heat stroke and said the course was a little overgrown, so I ended up playing OC on the way home instead. SB reminds me of the open holes at Rotary. OC is like Black Jack but all in the woods with more par 4s. Paw Paw reminds me of Harmon on PEDs.

What's the deal with creepin creek? Breweries with Dgcs are on my radar as well.
If you like beer and dg I think you will enjoy it. Concerts and food every sat night in summer and camping available. It's technically only open Thurs-Sun because those are the store hours/days, but you can call or text Matt and likely play and get beer and tour other days. I can guide you on weekends, it's pretty easy to navigate now with new tee signs and tee markers and a couple holes redesigned.

Latest posts