• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Working out while playing

There's a nature trail in my area that incorporates exercise with walking/jogging. About every 400 feet or so they have some sort of contraption for working a different muscle group.

Examples on a disc golf course could include doing 10 push ups before a hole, using a park bench to do dips (tricep exercise), use a different bench to do a few up and down stair maneuvers, jumping jacks before a hole, pull ups from a tree limb... etc. Basically, I'd suggest thinking of any kind of exercise that you can (most of my examples came from calisthenics in high school), which can be done on the course, and then do a set of 10 or 20 of whatever it is before each hole. Keep a little variety in it so you don't wear any particular muscle group out.

That's my $0.02, but I'm no fitness expert, either. :wink:

I have the numbers, or so I think. If someone could check the numbers over though, as they seem a tad high.

After some research, the best I have been able to come up with is disc golf burns aprox 1.36 cals per hour, per pound you weigh. Meaning that a 150 lbs person would burn 204 cals an hour playing. Now the question is would you take that number and add it to the cals burnt for walking? Using the numbers from Tigel that same 150lb person would be burning:

150 x .035 x 60 = 315 + 204 = 519 cals per hour

A 200 lb person would burn:

200 x .035 x 60 = 420 + 272 = 892 cals per hour

Can anyone shed some light on those numbers?

Smoke said:
I have the numbers, or so I think. If someone could check the numbers over though, as they seem a tad high.

After some research, the best I have been able to come up with is disc golf burns aprox 1.36 cals per hour, per pound you weigh. Meaning that a 150 lbs person would burn 204 cals an hour playing. Now the question is would you take that number and add it to the cals burnt for walking?
I'm not an expert, but my guess would be that the 1.36 cals/hour/pound would already include the walking. 204 cals for an hour for a 150lb person sounds about right to me.

When you really look at the numbers for how many calories you burn compared to how many calories are in foods (especally junk foods), it's really easy to understand why people have troulbe loosing weight. You have to work your ass off and eat really well to get good results. One extra candy bar or pop can offset a workout really quickly.

garublador said:
Smoke said:

After some research, the best I have been able to come up with is disc golf burns aprox 1.36 cals per hour, per pound you weigh. Meaning that a 150 lbs person would burn 204 cals an hour playing. Now the question is would you take that number and add it to the cals burnt for walking?
I'm not an expert, but my guess would be that the 1.36 cals/hour/pound would already include the walking. 204 cals for an hour for a 150lb person sounds about right to me.

When you really look at the numbers for how many calories you burn compared to how many calories are in foods (especally junk foods), it's really easy to understand why people have troulbe loosing weight. You have to work your ass off and eat really well to get good results. One extra candy bar or pop can offset a workout really quickly.

Lost 6 lbs and counting so far, to be honest the food intake isn't really bad when you look at it. You can have the fast food or junk food if you wish, just not for every meal and take in mind that for that day you need to do a little more. The pop was the hard one for me, switching to diet and trying to drink more water has helped. 10 Cal Vitamin Water is the shit, a whole bottle for 25 Cals is nice, plus you get the added vitamins as well.

I saw a guy pushing a stroller (with a baby in it) around the course the other day. I was thinking, that dude is getting a good workout! The course is anything but flat, bumpy as heck with few stairs on some holes. :lol:

Latest posts