• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst disc golf course conditions you have played in?

KWK82

I recently played at the most waterlogged course in my career. After this experience I can easily say any course with these conditions I will not be playing again in the future. Check out the video below and tell me what are the worst conditions you have played in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRj3y08TW-Q

Also to top all the water this course also has the largest gap between holes I have ever seen with a 2000 feet walk between hole 5 and 6 that also requires you to jump a fence. What a design...

Stoney Hill is so wet right now, there is water standing on hillsides. It's as if the Everglades had 60' hills. The pond shore is way higher than full, the creeks twice their normal width and raging, and the radar shows all yellow and orange approaching.

I've known of courses where flooding inundated entire fairways. Short of that, yesterday's round here was a pretty good slog.

Meeks' Madness in Hiawasee GA. It's normally played int he early spring and is only a few miles from the Appalachain Trail. One year it was a combination of ice and/or snow and 35 mph gusts with a steady 20 mph wind. Some holes you were glad to take a 7 and go look for a group of trees to protect you until you had to throw again.

Rain=water. I usually don't hold it against a course.

I usually do not hold it against a course either but it had not rained in the area for weeks and it was still that wet. It would take a drought to make this course dry.

Last year, we played our March opener of the Cincinnati Course Challenge series at Harbin. We figured turnout might be low because of the weather forecast (right around freezing, rain turning to sleet, high winds). But we were surprised when 80 people showed up. Only half were crazy enough to stick it out to the bitter end.

It's not bad if you've got to deal with two of those three conditions, but all three was brutal. Worse than Ice Bowls. Worse than a wet round or two. It was downright nasty.

My regular course (Peninsula, Iowa City) the back eight is often underwater but if it's low enough to sludge through I do even when the mosquitos and gnats are swarming so bad it's hard to breathe without snorting/swallowing them. However, I played a round this winter with temps around zero on a course with no wind protection (Fay Clark, Hiawatha, Iowa) and THAT was miserable.

Tied-

First tournament at hornets nest- torrential downpour during the 3rd through 7th holes- massive mud after that,

And Bradford park during our big snowstorm this year. It was the packed snow that glossed over with ice. I was skipping tree to tree as handholds on slight hills it was so slick, used upside down sliding shots on a couple holes.

Insane wind where more than one tee shot ended up going a negative net distance, behind the tee pad. It was very frustrating.

The PAW 2000 in Ann Arbor was the pinnacle of my short-lived serious career, and I couldn't wait to play the Toboggan course under tournament conditions for that event (as an Amateur). Unfortunately, it rained buckets and buckets for most of the round. I don't do well in rain and it was by far my worst round. Haven't had the opportunity to play it since. I at least got to shoot a practice round on it before Worlds started.

Tied-

First tournament at hornets nest- torrential downpour during the 3rd through 7th holes- massive mud after that,

And Bradford park during our big snowstorm this year. It was the packed snow that glossed over with ice. I was skipping tree to tree as handholds on slight hills it was so slick, used upside down sliding shots on a couple holes.

Any tree damage at Bradford from that storm? Love that course, hope it wasn't affected long term by the ice.

I was thinking of course conditions as being different from weather conditions. Flood, mud, overgrown, or---in one bitter memory---overmosquitoed.

But as weather goes, after many years of bragging that it had never rained a drop at any event at Stoney Hill, last November Mother Nature got even. 35 degrees, pouring rain, 20 MPH winds. Which is about as bad as weather gets, inasmuch as a few degrees lower would be snow, an improvement over rain.

Any tree damage at Bradford from that storm? Love that course, hope it wasn't affected long term by the ice.

Not much from the ice- but the single par 4 around the pond on hole 12 was removed and hole 15 playing back up on the other side is gone too. New holes are in place, but it's not quite the same-no par 4s, the hole 12 plays into a clearing where is used to break right to the pond- and 15 plays very tight through the woods past 14s basket . Some issue with the ponds and drainage- I'm not completely sure on the details.

The link below is to hole 9 on the course nearest my home. This picture was taken May 2010 in Rowlett, Texas when it hadn't rained in a long time. We were entering our second summer of drought at the time. The reason why the grass is not mowed on this fairway or at the #8 basket to the right is because the area is a constant swamp. This fairway and area around the basket didn't dry up during 5 years of drought. It stayed damp and now that we're getting rain again, this hole is only playable with waders.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/864/2bc52388.jpg

I've seen some waterlogged conditions... this pin is elevated on a 3-4ft tall hill, btw.
(#17 Griggs, Columbus, OH, 2011 I think)

2011 Churchville - Worlds layout. Extremely wet spring, entire course was supersaturated. Ankle deep in some spots.

Rainy December in FL. One of the few times it got below freezing this past winter, it was raining heavy, but I still played because it was my one day of the week I would get to go.

It wasn't "cold" out. But the wind and rain made throwing miserable. I had brought 4 towels, and all of them were soaked by the end of round 2.

I'm just thankful I live in Florida.

My regular course (Peninsula, Iowa City) the back eight is often underwater but if it's low enough to sludge through I do even when the mosquitos and gnats are swarming so bad it's hard to breathe without snorting/swallowing them. However, I played a round this winter with temps around zero on a course with no wind protection (Fay Clark, Hiawatha, Iowa) and THAT was miserable.

Man, that's no joke. There's nothing to stop the wind out there at Fay Clark. Brutal.

118 degrees. Other than that it was beautiful weather and the course was fine. :\

Last year, we played our March opener of the Cincinnati Course Challenge series at Harbin. We figured turnout might be low because of the weather forecast (right around freezing, rain turning to sleet, high winds). But we were surprised when 80 people showed up. Only half were crazy enough to stick it out to the bitter end.

It's not bad if you've got to deal with two of those three conditions, but all three was brutal. Worse than Ice Bowls. Worse than a wet round or two. It was downright nasty.

I'll second this. It didn't drop below freezing but it was probably 33 degrees with HEAVY HEAVY Rain. It poured like there was about to be a thunderstorm(that super heavy powerful downpour) and it was so cold, but wouldn't freeze into snow, just got sleety at best. No one was dry or warm. Sisyphus nor I could do enough justice to how poor the conditions were that day.