• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would You Invest In Disc Golf?

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
In a hypothetical situation where each sport had an individual stock value that would vary each day by the amount that is spent on it, how many people play it, how many people watch it, etc., would you purchase a share or two or more in Disc Golf? Why or why not?

If Disc Golf Companies (Innova, Discraft, Dynamic Discs) had a stock value, would you invest? Which Company? Which company would you steer clear from?

If the PDGA had a value, would you invest in the PDGA? Why? How many shares?

If you would like, give an example of what kind of pricing these different stocks would have compared to other big name organizations.

Sustainable growth, good outlook: Dynamic/Trilogy, Discmania, MVP/Axiom

These companies are finding new ways to grow and coming out with new products and ideas that customers are buying in to.

Somewhat Stagnant, but healthy: Innova, Discraft, Gateway

These companies have a long history and have their niche fairly well established.

I don't really know: Prodigy, Legacy, DGA, Millenium, Other little guys

For one reason or another, I find these brands hard to read or on the decline in some way.

These companies are finding new ways to grow and coming out with new products and ideas that customers are buying in to.

These companies have a long history and have their niche fairly well established.

For one reason or another, I find these brands hard to read or on the decline in some way.

I'd have a hard time describing Innova as stagnant in any way. I wouldn't be surprised if their net revenue were equal to or in excess that of all the other companies combined.

Last edited:

Mostly agree, I will add The Faction looks to be more in the startup category with a nice outlook. Some of the others I like, but do not see enough from them or a big representation of them from my admittedly small group of DG friends.

In a hypothetical situation where each sport had an individual stock value that would vary each day by the amount that is spent on it, how many people play it, how many people watch it, etc., would you purchase a share or two or more in Disc Golf? Why or why not?

If Disc Golf Companies (Innova, Discraft, Dynamic Discs) had a stock value, would you invest? Which Company? Which company would you steer clear from?

If the PDGA had a value, would you invest in the PDGA? Why? How many shares?

If you would like, give an example of what kind of pricing these different stocks would have compared to other big name organizations.

This is how I make my living, so....

All DG stocks would be low-priced. That's not a bad thing, but DG ain't AAPL, AMZN, or GOOGL.

I'd consider Innova stock as a solid value stock. I'd consider Trilogy as a growth stock. Discraft, I'd consider as an improving value stock with renewed growth potential.

I'd avoid Gateway and MVP/Axiom. Inconsistent Gateway plastics is a positive to some, but a huge negative to me. And I don't see MVP/Axiom being thrown by the better pros.

And I would short Prodigy. Too many execs leaving (i.e. pros switching sponsors). IMHO Prodigy eventually doesn't make it.

I would do recon with some of the big retailers both online and brick and mortar including Dick's and Walmart to get an idea on disc sales by manufacturers and trends before making any judgment. Agreed that some of that info would be difficult to get or unavailable. Most of my income is derived from this sport so I'm all in for my future niches.

I would do recon with some of the big retailers both online and brick and mortar including Dick's and Walmart

Any idea why disc manufacturers suck at getting real estate in big stores? No disc golf in Target is mind boggling. The displays in Dicks and Wall Mart are very poor. I just feel like the sales staff may be a major area of improvement for every company in this industry.

I would not invest.

Kinda see disc golf as a nonprofit rather than a tradable company. pretty much relies on goodwill and do-gooders.

I would not invest in disc golf....the entire sport celebrates how inexpensive it is.....and the even bigger problem is disc golf isn't a spectator sport so there is no real outside money coming in. Sure more people play every year but where is the profit to be made other than the top disc golf manufacturer Innova. Yes you .0001 percenters on here buy other brands but the causal disc golfer (where all the volume is) couldn't care less what new driver just dropped or what new plastic or sponsored disc is out there.

Any idea why disc manufacturers suck at getting real estate in big stores? No disc golf in Target is mind boggling. The displays in Dicks and Wall Mart are very poor. I just feel like the sales staff may be a major area of improvement for every company in this industry.
A few reasons might be not having the proper pricing model, not being able to deliver enough product to regularly stores at the turnover rate expected, not having the proper packaging for the retailer's inventory system and the manufacturer not wanting to deal with administrative overhead (cost). For example, I'm thinking Trilogy likely has higher landed cost for products sold in the U.S. since I believe they're made in Sweden?

I'd have a hard time describing Innova as stagnant in any way. I wouldn't be surprised if their net revenue were equal to or in excess that of all the other companies combined.

Stagnant is probably a poor word choice. They are past their growth phase, have taken the lions share of the market and are in the maturity phase of the business cycle.

Not enough schmoozing at trade shows.

That said, I'm not so sure big box retailers are great at delivering to the enthusiast in any sport.

To the OP: I'm buying Discraft stock. They are a nice, slow and steady disc company making the right decisions, and focusing on their strengths.

with Robinhood i'd buy a little at a time, yes. should grow in the long term, a little of each good company.

so yes. Also I started my own company, so there's some investment right there! VVV

Latest posts