• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you like to see the PDGA limit number of disc carried in tournaments?

Would you like to see the PDGA set a limit on the number of disc carried.

• Yes

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 230 74.4%

• Total voters

Old Dog

Eagle Member
I was killing some time before going to work the other morning by watching some u-tube vidios of Vibram Birdie bashes and other casual one or two disc challenges. Even though the participants were only using one or two disc their scores were still amazingly low and the matches were very close and entertaining to watch. Which got me to thinking If a Pro Disc Golfer is capable of shooting casual rounds under par with only one or two disc why is there a "need" to cart around 20 or 30+ disc for tournaments.

Most top Pros could play under par on most courses with one midrange, but that doesn't make for the most fun rounds to watch.

Heck I played to -4 at a par 59 course with just an Envy. It was very boring to watch. A diverse bag with more molds and shots to be thrown is more entertaining for most viewers and more fun for players to perform.

Honestly I almost feel like some people(mostly Feldberg) have taken this too far at times, but what do they gain by having more discs? Does it actually make anyone better or have an unfair advantage to have 30 discs rather than 15?

So the short answer to my long one; I wouldn't have a problem with capping it, but what do you gain by doing it?

Carry all the discs you want. Just hurry up with your selection and throw already.

Exactly... as long as players can play their shot in time, what's the point on limiting how many discs the can use? :confused:

If they can cart, caddy, or carry an entire store with them, what difference does it make?

# of discs is a complete non issue.

If you watch "In the Bag" videos, the pros tell you why they carry each disc.

So then are they relying on their skill at choosing the right disc for the shot rather than relying on their skill of making a disc perform the way they need it to to make the shot?

The PGA limits the number of clubs a ball golfer can carry in his bag during a tournament. What is the point or purpose of it? Why shouldn't the PDGA impose a similar limit on disc golfers?

Golf isn't disc golf. What they're doing is irrelevant.
We currently have no rule limiting the number of discs. It's on you to explain how imposing a limit is better than what we have, since you brought it up. :)

If a Pro Disc Golfer is capable of shooting casual rounds under par with only one or two disc why is there a "need" to cart around 20 or 30+ disc for tournaments.

Because having the exact right disc at the right time might save a stroke or two a round. And that might win a tournament. Under par won't.

The PGA limits the number of clubs a ball golfer can carry in his bag during a tournament. What is the point or purpose of it? Why shouldn't the PDGA impose a similar limit on disc golfers?

Among many differences, golfers don't tend to lose clubs during a round, in water hazards or underbrush.

Golf isn't disc golf. What they're doing is irrelevant.
We currently have no rule limiting the number of discs. It's on you to explain how imposing a limit is better than what we have, since you brought it up. :)

This, 100%.

Carrying a ton of discs strikes me as silly---I carry 12-15, unless I'm on a course where disc loss during the round is a serious threat---but I don't see any harm in it. Or benefit from restricting it.

Go watch Paul Macbeth's recent ITB. The total types of discs he has is actually small. He Has redundant and worn versions.

If I recall, Ricky has more, but not many more.

It's not apples to apples either. We're not hitting our discs with another tool. Far as I know, golf does not restrict the number of balls you can carry, which would really be the more appropriate comparison.

I wonder how BG would go if they were only allowed four balls? They're all the same after all. Who needs more than four or one for that matter? :)

The difference is that golf clubs are rarely lost, but discs do get lost. Ergo, many pros carry backups. But I'd have no problem with some kind of limit...

If you watch "In the Bag" videos, the pros tell you why they carry each disc.

Many of them are duplicate molds only in various stages of break in or maybe in different weights the reasoning being each has a slightly different flight characteristic. So, not to over simplify it, in essence the player is relying more on the disc doing it's job than on his throwing skill.

From a spectators perspective I think placing a limit on the number of disc would make the game more interesting because IMO it shifts the focus away from the equipment and more on the players skills.

In ball golf If the distance calls for the use of a 9 iron for example the player typically only has one in his bag to choose from whether the fairway curves left, right or goes straight and whether the wind is blowing left to right or right to left. The golfer then must rely on his own skill to shape the shot because he doesn't have one 9 iron that curves left and another that curves right without his input. Less reliance on the arrow means more skill required by the indian.