• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you like to see the PDGA limit number of disc carried in tournaments?

Would you like to see the PDGA set a limit on the number of disc carried.

• Yes

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 230 74.4%

• Total voters
34 pages and not one of them with a good argument for imposing this rule. Instead I found several reasons it would be a terrible idea that I hadn't thought of. *Whew!* Good. I need my plastic....I NEED it! I might have a problem, but at least it's mine. My wife makes me keep my babies in the car. She's heartless...

This is a rule that the one-or-two-disc-carrying-sasquatches that are just out there disc golfing because they can drink/smoke while doing it, would support. (Along with the 70+ of you who hate freedom!) I used to scoff at carrying 25 discs (where would my backup 40oz go!?) but now I'm more concerned with rotating my buzzzs to get even amounts of wear, headwind putters, skip shots, late turn, that one disc I use for forehand rollers when I'm in a bush, etc.

I wanna see less players, buy more discs...an obsessive amount of discs. Stave off the days when we'll have to have tee times due to over crowding, while still keeping the manufacturers out there competing and pumping out new plastic. #shrinkthesport

TSA_Baggage_Screening_Wide.jpg

Assistant TD Craig checks in players.

True of one or two of them, but you never know about the rest. Some could be backpack-luggage-toting players who are tired of the arms race, and would happily drop to 12 if they could get everyone else to go along. Or be forced along.

Except they can. Like I and several others have written, Paul, one of the two best players in the world, only uses eight types of discs (possibly a ninth now). He has variations that move him up to twenty, but of the same discs. Many are simply backup discs.

Clearly, you don't need that many discs to win, and any player can carry what they want.

Scorpius
Destroyer - 3 versions
JLS
Leopard - 2 versions
Buzz SS, Standard, OS
Rhino
Summit

That's my bag, 12 discs all else is redundant versions. I often have local pros tell me I have too many discs, i.e. they are using even fewer. The rule is dumb because it is unnecessary and will be hard to enforce, adding to the workload of volunteer TDs and your card mates.

A big thing I don't get about it too...is that everyone can do what they want to fit their style of play. If you think it's such an advantage to have a golf cart full of discs follow you like Feldberg, then do that. If you only need 6 discs, then carry 6 and have the advantage of not being sore from lugging around a massive bag, along with the disc selection confusion. Anyone is free to do what they think is most advantageous, and most fun.

It's like the whole step putt thing. It's within the rules and not sneaky at all. If it's such an advantage then learn to do it too.

A big thing I don't get about it too...is that everyone can do what they want to fit their style of play. If you think it's such an advantage to have a golf cart full of discs follow you like Feldberg, then do that. If you only need 6 discs, then carry 6 and have the advantage of not being sore from lugging around a massive bag, along with the disc selection confusion. Anyone is free to do what they think is most advantageous, and most fun.

It's like the whole step putt thing. It's within the rules. If it's such an advantage then learn to do it too.

I may be wrong in this, BUT. It seems like players who throw fewer than 15(arbitrary low number) think they are using more skill than players who carry 25 (arbitrary higher number). So, to prove it, they'd like to make everyone play with 15 to show that they are actually more skilled and created the alleged 'separation'.

If players continue throwing 25 while they continue throwing 15, they will never know whether or not they are actually better because discy mcDiscerson is over there relying on his 25 discs while I'm relying on my superior mechanics and skills.

Last edited:
I may be wrong in this, BUT. It seems like players who throw fewer than 15(arbitrary low number) think they are using more skill than players who carry 25 (arbitrary higher number). So, to prove it, they'd like to make everyone play with 15 to show that they are actually more skilled and created the alleged 'separation'.

If players continue throwing 25 while they continue throwing 15, they will never know whether or not they are actually better because discy mcDiscerson is over there relying on his 25 discs while I'm relying on my superior mechanics and skills.

I made some generalizations. I'm sure not everyone that likes throwing fewer discs is in favor of a disc limit.

It's like the whole step putt thing. It's within the rules and not sneaky at all. If it's such an advantage then learn to do it too.

Exactly where I stand.

My bag has 9 discs and I've got my bases pretty well covered. Sure, I'd carry back-ups in tournament play, especially on a course with water hazards, but for casual competitive rounds its all I need. Maybe an extra putter in the car for warming up at the practice basket.

I don't understand this. Superior mechanics will always be more versatile than a bag full of discs. A top tier Pro can shape more lines with an Aviar than a lot of beginners could with a full bag.

Exactly where I stand.

My bag has 9 discs and I've got my bases pretty well covered. Sure, I'd carry back-ups in tournament play, especially on a course with water hazards, but for casual competitive rounds its all I need. Maybe an extra putter in the car for warming up at the practice basket.

I don't understand this. Superior mechanics will always be more versatile than a bag full of discs. A top tier Pro can shape more lines with an Aviar than a lot of beginners could with a full bag.

I don't think comparing top tier pros to beginners makes any sense in this discussion. No matter which type of bag both carry the pro will always be better....that's why they're pros. ;)

Sir our scan picked up some potential extra plastic on you. I'm going to have to ask you to grab your ankles.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 7
Exactly where I stand.

I agree with you. I mean, look at big Jerm at USDGC. He ended up winning and I'm confident he was carrying the fewest discs in his bag. I think people should be able to carry whatever they want to suit their play style, I also think that imposing restrictions on people's play style leads to a less exciting game.

Sir our scan picked up some potential extra plastic on you. I'm going to have to ask you to grab your ankles.

Sir, did you pack your disc golf bag yourself?

Were you aware you were carrying a Gateway Ninja and by PDGA technical standards that disc is not legal for tournament play?

Sir, I think you better come with me.

Were you aware you were carrying a Gateway Ninja and by PDGA technical standards that disc is not legal for tournament play?

Excuse me sir, I think your polecat is a little too stiff if you catch my drift. Come with me and we'll do a rigidity test.

I've never seen that Disc before. I left my bag by the bench for the First Tee while I went behind that tree. Someone must have framed me!!

.. a few years later ...

*Over a loudspeaker that pervades the course*

"Please keep you Disc Golf bag with you at all times. Do not leave your bag unattended. Unattended bags will be confiscated and the content resold at PIAS"

Why don't you throw 25 in there to show me your skill?

Latest posts