• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you like to see the PDGA limit number of disc carried in tournaments?

Would you like to see the PDGA set a limit on the number of disc carried.

• Yes

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 230 74.4%

• Total voters
The limitation would be kind of meaningless without also prohibiting replacements and substitutions during the round.

If the number of discs were limited, then losing a disc becomes even more consequential. Those TDs and Course Designers in the More Punishment = More Better camp might then design courses so that there is more risk of losing a disc with any less than ideal throw. Or all your discs for a DNF. Heck, I can think of a couple of tournaments that would probably have roped off areas where you would forfeit any disc that lands there.

The limitation would be kind of meaningless without also prohibiting replacements and substitutions during the round.

If the number of discs were limited, then losing a disc becomes even more consequential. Those TDs and Course Designers in the More Punishment = More Better camp might then design courses so that there is more risk of losing a disc with any less than ideal throw. Or all your discs for a DNF. Heck, I can think of a couple of tournaments that would probably have roped off areas where you would forfeit any disc that lands there.

I have an even better idea. If you throw OB your disc gets added to the player packs! It would be like old school MTG where you had to put a card up for grabs.

Or better yet hold an OB auction for charity at the end. :thmbup:

Post counts on threads discussing this topic are always inversely proportional to the chances that any such rules will actually be put on the books. The more talk there is, the less the chance of a rule addition/change. So....keep talking. ;D

Also small other rant, every time one of these threads about some rule change comes up it seems to be partly about making it more interesting to watch. Who gives a rat's ass? Shouldn't it be about making the game better to play? I am sure there are more people playing then watching disc golf.

Although sometimes I come on this forum and wonder if that is true...

I don't see any reason to limit the number of discs for your standard event. Maybe if someone gets crazy and tries to cart around a 100+ disc stash or something but until that happens the sport kind of polices itself, ie. once you get past a 12-15 discs are you really helping yourself? Some would argue that having to choose between too many different discs could hurt your score..

That said, I could see a compelling reason for unique pro tournament where they are severely limited, as in a 3 or 2 or 1 disc limit. That might be kind of cool, from a spectators point of view. With a caveat that if you lose a disc you could replace it. How much fun would it be to see a Buzzz vs Roc battle on Winthrop the day before or after USDGC?

I remember some random guy did an ITB for himself with a Mahal. He was carrying 62 discs... SIXTY. EFFING. TWO! Never use the same disc twice for a round and a quarter! While it's absurd, I don't think there should be a rule against it as long as he doesn't violate his 30 seconds. Hell, I'd encourage it! All that weight will tire out my opponents and give me better odds. :D

Also small other rant, every time one of these threads about some rule change comes up it seems to be partly about making it more interesting to watch. Who gives a rat's ass? Shouldn't it be about making the game better to play? I am sure there are more people playing then watching disc golf.

Although sometimes I come on this forum and wonder if that is true...

Yes! Thank you for this.:clap:

I'm fine with making disc golf better to watch as long as it is a secondary concern to making disc golf better to play.

I believe we have enough evidence over the years that the game people want to watch will have to diverge from the game we all want to play. The game we want to watch has yet to be developed and I doubt it's going to come from small tweaks like limiting the number of discs.

I believe we have enough evidence over the years that the game people want to watch will have to diverge from the game we all want to play. The game we want to watch has yet to be developed and I doubt it's going to come from small tweaks like limiting the number of discs.

The game people want to watch is called football....the game we all like to play is just fine as it is. Disc golf isn't a spectator sport no matter how much many of you want it to be.

I marked yes, but because I'd like to see the PDGA produce more events that were two disc based for beginners and other folks that want a more laid back event (either as an intro to the sport or because the full tourney events are too much to handle).

They could be primarily meant to generate more members, but I bet they would fill up either way.

Really....do you seriously consider this to be an issue for the sport?

Isn't Innova being sued for this very thing? I thought I heard someone lost and eye or something and now there is a lawsuit. I think it will be a huge issue if people enough people get injured and is something that should be on our radar. I'm not an expert on injuries caused by these by any means or have any stats it's just I know they can hurt people in the right senario. I even cut my buddies skin with just a graze with a high speed driver, it was like a massive paper cut. I just don't want people to go nuts and call these discs of death or anything that could hurt the sport, it's the only way I get down to my high school weight! :D

edit: Did anyone else hear of injuries and death caused by these? I've heard of them but now that I think about it they could very well be hearsay other then I think I heard the Innova lawsuit stuff on here so makes it more credible. I wanna make sure i"m not some idiot spreading false rumors and such.

Last edited:
Isn't Innova being sued for this very thing? I thought I heard someone lost and eye or something and now there is a lawsuit. I think it will be a huge issue if people enough people get injured and is something that should be on our radar. I'm not an expert on injuries caused by these by any means or have any stats it's just I know they can hurt people in the right senario. I even cut my buddies skin with just a graze with a high speed driver, it was like a massive paper cut. I just don't want people to go nuts and call these discs of death or anything that could hurt the sport, it's the only way I get down to my high school weight! :D

edit: Did anyone else hear of injuries and death caused by these? I've heard of them but now that I think about it they could very well be hearsay other then I think I heard the Innova lawsuit stuff on here so makes it more credible. I wanna make sure i"m not some idiot spreading false rumors and such.

Not Innova

Woman blinded by flying golf disc in park receives $3 million from Manhattan Beach

http://www.dailynews.com/article/LA/20151013/NEWS/151019751

I marked yes, but because I'd like to see the PDGA produce more events that were two disc based for beginners and other folks that want a more laid back event (either as an intro to the sport or because the full tourney events are too much to handle).

They could be primarily meant to generate more members, but I bet they would fill up either way.

Those kinds of events already exist, they don't need to be put under the PDGA umbrella. The PDGA's focus is on the more serious side of the sport. Limited disc events might still be fun to play, but it's not really the same game. I certainly wouldn't want to play one of those events if my PDGA rating was going to be impacted by it.

No, I think it is more fun for people to try to find the right balance of discs to throw. Having a disc for every shot is part of being a better player, but there are diminishing returns with that, and psychological factors, so let the player sort out what works best for them.

Having a Pro level 1-5 disc challenge would be fun to see as well. Watching pros make a Putter/Mid fly 400 feet, and take crazy lines is super fun. Also fun to guess what one disc would a Pro use?

MJ would probably use a Comet
Jonathan Baldwin and Shata Criss would use an Aftershock (only know this because they play some 1 disc rounds locally at Dela Bag Tags)
Paul McBeth would use ??? Probably some form of Aviar.
Simon L. would use a P2?
Ricky would use a ... Bard?

I don't see this ever happening, since disc manufacturers are the sports biggest sponsors, but I like the idea. This seems like something for chuck and his alternative rules committee, or whatever it is called, to look into. It would be a fun change of pace to play in a 3 or 5 disc event. Places a premium on disc selection, and adds another level of risk reward to shots with lost-disc potential.

TDs can do it now under X-tier options. Depending on the restrictions, the rounds would likely still be rated.