• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you like to see the PDGA limit number of disc carried in tournaments?

Would you like to see the PDGA set a limit on the number of disc carried.

• Yes

Votes: 79 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 230 74.4%

• Total voters
According to what who's logic? Ricky throws anything in his bag both backhand and forehand. He could crush a 3 disc round.

This guy said that limiting how many discs you can carry would be a bigger disadvantage for someone who can only throw one shot. I said that a guy who can throw a variety of shots would be LESS impeded by being limited to say 1 disc. Are you disagreeing with that?

I don't feel like quoting previous arguments.

If you are skilled at throwing a round piece of plastic, you don't need a full bag to shape shots when a single disc can be manipulated in the way that you need.

I just don't care haha my indifference helps nothing. :| ;)

I don't feel like quoting previous arguments.

If you are skilled at throwing a round piece of plastic, you don't need a full bag to shape shots when a single disc can be manipulated in the way that you need.

Thank you for providing some common sense.

McBeth throws the the same Destroyers for FH and BH drives. If he needs to hit an overstable BH line, he throws the Monster. If he needs to hit an overstable FH line, he throws the Monster.

If he was forced to use one disc, he could throw a T3 every shot and get the job done. Joe Blow could not.

Last edited:
According to what who's logic? Ricky throws anything in his bag both backhand and forehand. He could crush a 3 disc round.

This guy said that limiting how many discs you can carry would be a bigger disadvantage for someone who can only throw one shot. I said that a guy who can throw a variety of shots would be LESS impeded by being limited to say 1 disc. Are you disagreeing with that?

Too late to edit, bolded should read. This guy said that limiting how many discs you can carry would be a bigger disadvantage for someone who can throw a variety of shots.

Don't see how anybody could argue someone who can throw a variety of shots would have a harder time with 1 disc than a guy who has only 1 shot at his disposal.

A club is not the same as a disc though.
Nobody's claiming it is.

You cannot achieve the same shots with 1 disc like you can with 1 club.
Nobody's making that claim.

I did say that, like playing golf with one club requires more skill than playing with 14, playing disc golf with fewer discs requires more skill than playing disc golf with more discs.

Requiring more skill could be considered relative. Some may argue disc selection is part of the skill. Which do you think would produce more exciting shots? A pro with 5 disc or a pro with 20 discs?

I'd vote for a pro with 5 discs, since you asked. :) IMO.

If everyone is concerned with exciting/entertaining, I would argue letting players have as many disc as needed will produce the most exciting shots.
I would not. And I'm not making the case that it's more exciting/entertaining. I'm making the case that it would further reward a higher skill level.

Why do people insist on comparing the rules of disc golf and ball golf?
I'm not. If you think I am, remove any mention of golf, the USGA, etc. and my own particular point still stands: limiting the number of discs would put a bit more emphasis on skill.

If I've used golf it's been as an analogy, not because I feel some deep-seated need to make the rules more similar.

I mean we might as well as say NASCAR should change it's rules because F1 does something or vice versa.
Nobody's making an argument like that (that I've seen).

Just leave the rules the way they are now cause there is nothing wrong with them regarding number of discs. It is a rule in search of a problem.
I disagree. I think the rules and sport would be better with a 10 to 15 disc limit. Or maybe even say it's 10 to 20 but the TD can set the number - courses with more water could choose to set it at 16 or 18. Open courses could say 10.

Great just what we need, a 2 hour long players meetings while the poor TD has to search each player bag for compliance.
No. Players can count their own discs and be honorable. Can't they?

Entire post DQ'd for lying.
Nah. I'm pretty good at golf. The recent round with a 6-iron was from 2600 yards (nine holes) with my daughter. She too is pretty good at golf. :)

The limitation would be kind of meaningless without also prohibiting replacements and substitutions during the round.
So limit replacements and substitutions. Or allow replacements. I probably wouldn't support substitutions or you might create a situation where someone just "substitutes" every hole.

If the number of discs were limited, then losing a disc becomes even more consequential.
Right. I see that as a good thing. It increases the strategic aspect.

Disc golf already doesn't disallow going forward to retrieve a disc thrown OB, right? This would be kinda similar.

Heck, I can think of a couple of tournaments that would probably have roped off areas where you would forfeit any disc that lands there.
I wouldn't support that. If you can recover your disc in a timely fashion, you can keep using it. You have time to pick it out of the water, but not time to throw out your Golden Retriever for ten minutes hoping to snag it.

I believe we have enough evidence over the years that the game people want to watch will have to diverge from the game we all want to play. The game we want to watch has yet to be developed and I doubt it's going to come from small tweaks like limiting the number of discs.
So then clearly the answer is to do nothing? :p

The climate is changing, but me recycling my pop cans is not going to make much of a difference, so I should just throw them in with the regular trash, right? :p

This is a classic solution in search of a problem situation. Golf ≠disc golf.

Nobody's really saying they have to be the same just because one was derived from the other.

The only people simplifying it to the "golf = disc golf" (or ≠) level are those opposed to disc count limits.

A rule like this would give an unfair advantage to players who exclusively throw one way.

The other member addressed this, but you have it backward.

According to the internet, which is ALWAYS true, the club limit in golf was created to give caddies a break and not for players.

And because players were relying less on their skill and more the fact that they could have 20 clubs, some of which did only unique things.

Why learn to hit a flop shot? Just take out your 75° wedge. Sand softer on this hole than the others? Hit the wedge with way more bounce. Driving into the wind here? Take your really low-lofted driver, as opposed to one of the other five drivers you have. Etc.

Not even sure what your first paragraph is trying to convey, it is so convoluted. Maybe you missed my argument because it wasn't 4 paragraphs of nonsense . A person that can throw different styles will have more shots at their disposal with a single disc than those who throw one way. This is not very difficult to comprehend.

If you need a certain disc to throw a particular shot, you're not versatile, you're just relying on the varying stability of your plastic. So, for a guy like you, that needs OS plastic to overcome your poor FH form, it would be a disadvantage, but we are talking about how GOOD players with a wide array of shots would adapt to limited disc selections. Good luck finding even a single person that would argue a versatile thrower would be MORE impeded by only being able to use a couple discs, than a guy who throws one way, as it's about as backwards as it gets.

Oh boy that's a lot of flamebait. First off you're the one that likes to ask questions back at someone as a rhetorical device. if you don't want to engage in a convoluted argument then stick to debating the points and leave the flamebait and rhetorical devices to a political speech. You could also complain less or just don't participate if talking gets your panties all in a bunch dude.

You should listen and really contemplate what someone is trying to say as well. I throw more overstable discs forehand to SHAPE the same lines I throw backhand. Simply put if I want to throw two identical lines BH or FH with the same disc angle and body orientation to the line I and anyone else for that matter has to throw a more overstable disc when throwing forehand. At this point I think your FH form is suspect because it seems like you haven't progressed enough as a player to recognize the inherent differences in stability that arise with having an advanced FH arm.

Less experienced players simply take an overstable disc and throw a flex shot forehand or an underpowered flat or hyzer line that absolutely will not travel as far as if they threw BH with the same disc angle, body orientation and whatnot. These are two completely separate things. That's why I specifically described what the difference for most competent BH/FH players between throwing a BH rifle shot and a forehand rifle shot. again this has nothing to do with form, its basic body mechanics and physics. The relationship between arm speed and rotation is different in FH than BH, and you really have to have an inflated ego to pretend you're the super special snowflake that does not have the same concerns as everyone else on the planet.

The consequence of your entire argument can be summed up this way. Whoever uses more discs with this particular quality is the best. My argument is whoever shoots the lowest score is the best player.

No dude that's not what I said at all. What I said was the natural, inherent differences between BH and FH mean that a competent BH/FH player will probably not throw the same disc even when throwing the same line whether BH or FH.

It's far time we limit the number of threads on DGCR; Roc vs. Buzzz, is this an ace?, what is par?, etc. threads. Make the trolls acquire more skills. :|

So who's checking bags now to make sure all disc are PDGA approved or that approved disc have not been modified in some way? Of course it would have to be a police yourself, spirit of the game rule? Is that a problem for you?

I could give a **** less. I said it was pointless bc half these rules are not policed as it is so why add another? Lol.

Here's another option that would only be feasible at the top level - require players to use only brand new discs for the tournament. All of the sponsoring manufacturers would be on hand with lots of discs for the pros to choose from, there would be no limit on how many they could choose, and if a disc is lost during a round it could be replaced with the same mold.

This would eliminate the need to check for legal discs (not that it's a problem today), and at the end of the tournament players' discs could be auctioned off or sold to the many thousands of spectators who would undoubtedly show up for such a spectacle.

This discussion isnt really about a rule-change.

It's the old debate between two throwing mentalities. The "make one disc form all sort of shots" mentality vs. the "have a disc for each shot" mentality.

People who think that enforcing a disc limit would increase the skill aspect of the game definitly fall into the first category. I dont agree with them and I wouldnt welcome such a rule.

This would eliminate the need to check for legal discs (not that it's a problem today), and at the end of the tournament players' discs could be auctioned off or sold to the many thousands of spectators who would undoubtedly show up for such a spectacle.

You mean the literally tens of spectators right?

There is skill involved in both aspects.

Look at new players who cant throw and they have 1 disc that pretty much has 1 flight regardless of speed/stability. Goes out a little and fades lol.

You have to learn how to throw and understand discs well before having XYZ molds becomes even more valuable to a player. It is not a matter of leaning on a disc as a form crutch but getting a very unique line from the XYZ mold which is not possible from other plastic versions or wts etc. Im debating high level disc golf player bags who use stabilitu differences to score well. They can throw any damn shot of course that isnt the question having only 1 disc would limit the amount of shots those players can shape...

I mean mcbeth bags a goofy nova! You really think pros dont use unique molds bc it makes them better and enhances their skills? Crazy talk.

There is skill involved in both aspects.

Look at new players who cant throw and they have 1 disc that pretty much has 1 flight regardless of speed/stability. Goes out a little and fades lol.

You have to learn how to throw and understand discs well before having XYZ molds becomes even more valuable to a player. It is not a matter of leaning on a disc as a form crutch but getting a very unique line from the XYZ mold which is not possible from other plastic versions or wts etc. Im debating high level disc golf player bags who use stabilitu differences to score well. They can throw any damn shot of course that isnt the question having only 1 disc would limit the amount of shots those players can shape...

I mean mcbeth bags a goofy nova! You really think pros dont use unique molds bc it makes them better and enhances their skills? Crazy talk.

And what, exactly, is "goofy" about a Nova?

***disclaimer, I haven't read the whole thread ***
IMO, carrying 50 discs slightly shifts the spotlight to the disc manufacturers.
Carrying only one disc slightly shifts the spotlight the thrower.
Which would we rather highlight?

Last edited:
Just ban carts and caddies. Then let the player carry whatever he or she pleases.

Suddenly sees a swell in Nutsac bags...

***disclaimer, I haven't read the whole thread ***
IMO, carrying 50 discs slightly shifts the spotlight to the disklc manufacturers.
Carrying only one disc slightly shifts the spotlight the thrower.
Which would we rather highlight?

You have fun watching someone play an entire round at a course of 8000 ft with either a driver or a putter.

I'll be off watching Eagle take a 3 on an 850' hole using a full bag of discs :D