• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you pay $100 bucks to play with a pro?

Would you pay $100 buck to play with a pro

• Total voters
Yes, with the right pro.

I voted yes. If I could play a round with Paige Pierce and one of my friends, I would for sure.:thmbup:

I answered that yes, I would pay a Pro $100 to play a round.
Some caveats, we have some local Pros that I like, but would not pay to play DG with them.
I would probably only do it on my local course.
If given the opportunity with a high-level Pro (McBeth or Sexton or a few others), I would pay double or triple or more. and wouldn't hesitate.

Any pro coming to your town will gladly accept $100.00 from you to walk with them during their practice round for a tournament. I guarantee it.

I played the Luck Of The Draw Doubles with Oakley and Pierce and was thrilling for me.

To play a full 18 hole casual round with the pro of my choice and get some tips along the way I'd drop $200 and never regret it. If they wanted to make it available as an 18 hole lesson and include a signed signature disc as part of the package it wouldn't be too awkward to purchase online ahead of time. Make one spot available for each tournament, scheduled for the day before the tournament starts so it's wrapped into their practice round.

A Pro could auction off their practice round ahead of time... maybe 50/50 it, half goes to a charity.. Have they done anything like that?

I'd pay at least $100 to play a one-on-one "instructional" round with Wysocki, Eagle, or Danny Lindahl. Hell, even just an hour's worth of field work with any of them...

No, I'll keep my $100 and buy some discs or a new bag, or just keep it in the bank. It's not my job to support people who choose to do this game for a living.

Pay someone to make me look like **** on the course OR continue convincing myself that I'm just one or two steps away from becoming an elite players for free......hmm that's a toughy.

I said yes, but it would have to be a recreational round with friends, where we're just playing and we happen to have a world-class player with us to watch how he throws shots with a skill level none of us will ever have. For the thrill of doing that, I'd pay.

Just as background, the PGA Tour does this before every event and for much more money than I am talking and very successfully. I am also not referencing pro-am tourneys where the pros play separately from the amateurs. Pros would be on a card with 4 amateurs, playing best ball (low score not scramble) format. Ams would also play at their preferred tee pads, giving them a chance to be a factor on the team .Lets say each am puts up only $50. that is $200 per card that can be used to pay pros appearance fees, provide a pro-am purse, and add a bit to the pro payouts in the actual tourney.

i would jump at a chance to do this.

Once you have been around disc golfers longer you will understand how cheap many in the dg world are and the model does not fit. I have played golf for 43 years and dg for 14 years and the differences in golf fans/players vs. dg fans/players are significant.

This is actually an idea to help get quality pro fields at more tourneys. And to try to give more Tiger or Phil feeling about top PDGA pros. How many people here have played with a top 20 pro for an entire round?
Some of us have been around this scene for a long time. It's a little hard having Tiger or Phil feelings about our top pros when they, until recently, probably weren't making any more money being pro disc golfers than any of us do at our day jobs. They also still, outside of our little bubble, are as much unknowns to the outside world, as we are. Meanwhile, people who don't give a rat's derriere about golf know who Tiger & Phil are.

Saying hello to them is not at all the same as playing a round with them. You can say hello to Tiger at most events he plays as well. I seriously doubt that Macbeth or other top pros would accept many invitations to play with let's say a rec player in the area, under most circumstances, unless they were getting paid.
The hole in your logic is that a great majority of rec players don't give a crap about PM or any of our top pros, or the middle pros, or bottom pros, or top ams, or the PDGA, or tournaments in general. They're interested in exactly what their name implies...recreation. They got into disc golf because it's cheap, unabashedly informal, egalitarian and a fun way to get somelight exercise or decompress from their rigorous life.

They didn't sign up to be in awe of those who are better at it than them, and if they want lessons to be better, well, there's no shortage of local pros who can help them out.

So I'm sorry, but you're trying to sell a Lamborghini vision to a crowd that just wants a Corolla...at least for now. Somehow, ten years down the road, I don't see us terribly far from the current status quo, because the vast majority of us have no problem with it.

Amen to that... we are a cheap crowd.

Casual chuckers and some of the older crowd are cheap... but there is a big enough market for $400 pull carts that there are several companies producing them. That tells me that there are plenty of people in this sport that have no problems with spending money on it.;)

Disc golf can be a cheap game but it definitely can be very expensive also.

Last edited:
Casual chuckers and some of the older crowd are cheap... but there is a big enough market for $400 pull carts that there are several companies producing them. That tells me that there are plenty of people in this sport that have no problems with spending money on it.;)
People will spend money, on themselves, for their own participatory pursuits, competitive, recreational or otherwise.

On bestowing admiration upon a top pro, I'd say those expenditures stop at $20-25 signature discs. Even there, they are buying a tangible item for their own use, or may only be buying it just to flip it to an even bigger sucker later.

Well I hate to point out the obvious but it looks like there's 20 people that would pony up $100.. Still cheap for a round with a pro but yes double that amount would like the pricetag lower.

Just to play? No. If it's a teaching clinic and I have the chance for a random drawing to play on a top tier pro's card, then yeah probably!

Well I hate to point out the obvious but it looks like there's 20 people that would pony up $100.. Still cheap for a round with a pro but yes double that amount would like the pricetag lower.

20 people who say they would for this poll. Whether actually would I a different story.

OT

I gladly paid $50 for a semi-private lesson with a top ten pro this year. ~20 minutes of field work on anything we wanted, then a round on my home course.

The field work was great and it was kinda nice to see one of the very best in the sport play our little rec course. He was a true gentleman and made us feel very comfortable. I probably could have just watched YouTube for the clinic part, but the 1:1 attention was priceless.

I don't do selfies, but I did get a disc autographed. :p

Latest posts