• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you pay for live coverage now?

While I've paid to watch live dg in the discgolf planet days, I wouldn't do so now. At the time, there wasn't a quality, next-day, post-produced option. I'm much more likely to watch dg coverage at my leisure than to watch it live. In the discgolf planet days, my job was so easy that I could watch the vast majority of the weekday tourney rounds at work. That's not the case anymore, I would only potentially be able to watch weekend rounds live. With limited time, I'd much rather watch Jomez/CCDG post-produced rounds in a fraction of the time it would take to watch the round live.

I prefer the Jomez post-production over live also. Doesn't matter to me if I know who won already. If I'm not throwing discs I like seeing them fly and the top pros make some amazing throws.
So no I wouldn't want to pay for live disc golf.

Even though all the content providers have patreon accounts and they make some money from them, I still think they're not monetizing their work properly. Jomez and CCDG should be reserving their next day turnaround coverage for their patreon supporters. If you're not paying for it, you shouldn't get the opportunity to watch yesterday's round today. Make folks wait a week or so for free content. Same principle for live.

I've mentioned the same thing several times. I'm guessing the reason they're not doing this is, they're getting paid from someone who wants to get the video out there asap so they get the advertising perks.

I would pay for live coverage, but it would have to be Smashboxx, and preferably without Jowers.

I would not watch live disc golf if they paid me to do so.

That just about describes me, too.

Though if the stars aligned---a top event, Worlds or USDGC, occurring when I don't want to be outside (too hot, cold, rainy, evenings), quality of the USDGC broadcast or better, and not too expensive---I might pay $5 or $10 to watch. Or at least have it on, and pay attention every once in a while, as I do with some other sports I'm mildly interested in.

But the question isn't about me, and others who feel this way. I wonder how many people would pay to watch and, more importantly, what the threshold would be to be worthwhile to the producers to charge, more worthwhile than the current model?

I prefer the Jomez post-production over live also. Doesn't matter to me if I know who won already. If I'm not throwing discs I like seeing them fly and the top pros make some amazing throws.
So no I wouldn't want to pay for live disc golf.

This is pretty much my thought also.

Unless you're watching those stations via an antenna, you're paying to watch their broadcasts. If you're paying for cable or satellite, nothing you're watching is free. Is it cheaper to pay X amount for 1000 channels than to pay per broadcast? Of course, but it still isn't free.

Antenna for life I guess. I don't have cable/satellite or anything else that costs money to watch TV.
If people who live stream from Twitch can make hundreds of thousands of dollars without FORCING people to pay to watch, then there is likely no argument that will sway me to thinking being forced to pay for something is the better way to go for the players. Again, donations are something different and I can get behind and I'd prefer to do that.

I don't think there would be enough people willing to pay for live coverage to cover the costs that it takes to put on a quality live event. Not as long as Jomez/CCDG can put out high quality coverage next day, there just isn't the incentive for people. Even if we had a PGA quality broadcast, I don't think people would pay.

The only thing that bothers me is the people that DO watch live and complain about the number or frequency of commercials. They don't want to pay, but they also don't want to watch commercials?

I have hopes to expand the broadcast slightly next year. Nothing earth shattering, just some ideas that are bouncing around in my head. And I am looking at ways to make them exclusive to Patreon members of SmashBoxxTV.

If it was like this year's USDGC coverage, definitely not. If they set it up to follow the holes and commentated on them, then I probably would for majors.

No. I want to watch when and where I want and be able to jump forward and backwards how I want. And I don't want to get up in the middle of the night to pay money to watch live...

Careful, there a big difference between a limited attention span and a willingness to prioritize watching video over family time, work stuff, course maintenance, playing, etc.

I can make time to watch a 30-minute recap of R1F9 over lunch at work. But, I can think of at least a dozen things that are a better use of my time than watching tv for 4 hours...

Wait, you prioritize work over... never mind. It's a good point though, thanks for raising it. As an aside, the number of quality hours I spent with my Dad, and Uncles, at small sport venues, walking around and checking it out is too high to count. I did consider them high quailty time. I do some of this with my sons and I consider it high quality family time.

Last edited:
I am looking at ways to make them exclusive to Patreon members of SmashBoxxTV.

Curious question: Either currently or in the future will there be any good way to donate (let's say $15) all at one time without having to do Patreon monthly payment (let's say $1 per month for the year)? More importantly coinciding with your previous statement about exclusive Patreon members, will this same donation give the same access to this same exclusive?

No I would rather watch the edited version. 4 hrs is too long to watch. I could play 18 holes ,watch a round on line and still have time left over.

I would like to make sure that anyone who donates XXX amount in any way would have access to that stuff. And until I actually set something up, I don't know how it would work. I understand the hesitation with Patreon, it is just such a useful middleman for exclusive stuff and managing contacts.

In my head, I can imagine having 1 or 2 exclusive camera angles for people. Things that we can occasionally cut to live, but supporters can have a link to them at any time they want. Imagine an exclusive camera angle at the 18 green at Maple Hill or the island hole at GBO. Can you think of other cool things we can do with the broadcast?

I would like to make sure that anyone who donates XXX amount in any way would have access to that stuff. And until I actually set something up, I don't know how it would work. I understand the hesitation with Patreon, it is just such a useful middleman for exclusive stuff and managing contacts.

In my head, I can imagine having 1 or 2 exclusive camera angles for people. Things that we can occasionally cut to live, but supporters can have a link to them at any time they want. Imagine an exclusive camera angle at the 18 green at Maple Hill or the island hole at GBO. Can you think of other cool things we can do with the broadcast?

That was my thought too. I have no idea how it could be done but I would hate to see you or others somewhat limited by only allowing Patreon supporters but yea I'm not sure what else it would take to do this.
I do love the idea of being able to switch to a certain hole (or certain card if it can ever get big enough to have multiple cameras on multiple cards).
Other than that I'd have to put some thought into it as to what other ideas could be used. My personal problem is as i've stated before I don't think I've paid for any Live TV of any kind so i'm not sure what there would be to get someone like me to want to pay. I also don't mind all the commercials and advertisements because it's been like that for any other TV that I watch so it just makes sense. I just enjoy any sort of coverage and the fact most of it at least right now is free makes it an added bonus. If I was forced to pay I would probably not watch too much of it if any.

Even though all the content providers have patreon accounts and they make some money from them, I still think they're not monetizing their work properly. Jomez and CCDG should be reserving their next day turnaround coverage for their patreon supporters. If you're not paying for it, you shouldn't get the opportunity to watch yesterday's round today. Make folks wait a week or so for free content. Same principle for live.

I've mentioned the same thing several times. I'm guessing the reason they're not doing this is, they're getting paid from someone who wants to get the video out there asap so they get the advertising perks.

DiscFifty you a smart man :hfive:

The marginal increase in Patreon would most likely not offset the loss in advertising/youtube revenue. That's my belief anyway.

Funny enough I'd drop a $5 to watch a tourney live. I'd probably only watch an hour here or there though. It's just so hard to find 4 hours to watch live with real job/family/CCDG. I do enjoy watching/chatting Smashboxx though when I have the time randomly.