• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you play through a snowy winter?

Do you play during the snowy winter?

• Yes, snow plays no factor on my game.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • I will play if there's little snow. Once there's too much I stop.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • No I don't play once snow comes, hate it.

Votes: 18 10.9%
  • My state doesn't have snow, I want to play in the snow though!

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Snow disc golf sounds stupid, I play in nice weather only.

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
I've been playing year round since I started. And I've said several times I would rather play with temps in the teens in 2 feet of snow than the 90° and 90% humidity. I can't even fathom groomed winter fairways. And I'm not sure it would add to my enjoyment. Although I do agree that "kick the snow" sucks. I've never used ribbons either but I haven't lost anymore discs on average than I lose the rest of the year.

Last year I was introduced to Zephyr golf. Awesome! We play from the short tees. I have yet to see a Zephyr get lost in the snow.

Also not only am I a huge supporter of pay to play, I am also a lifetime member of a "local" private course. While there are probably a dozen courses closer to me I would rather drive the 42 miles to Hawk's Landing even if it's just for a quick solo round.

FWIW, I have some thoughts about what makes this my favorite local course. Think quality private ball golf course. Obviously you need a challenging and FUN course for all skill levels. But for me what sets a private course apart are the amenities such as:

Well stocked pro shop
Knowledgeable staff
Bathrooms, the Hawk even has indoor and outdoor showers
Benches
Signs, at every tee I might add
Distance markers to the basket on the fairways
Food & drinks, currently it's only vending machines but a kitchen is in the works
Several convivial places for folks to socialize between rounds
Several practice baskets
And multiple other disc games for the golfers and their families. This includes a mini course, disc bowling, et al.

And getting to know the owner Doug Opiela and his wife Mary on a personal level I can tell you this is truly a labor of love. Unless/until disc golf goes to the heights some dream of you surely won't get rich. For a quality experience you won't be playing much because of the maintenance and administration of the course.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor. And if I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll be happy to throw down the $$$ to play a round or two summer or winter.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor. And if I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll be happy to throw down the $$$ to play a round or two summer or winter.

Thank you for you input and I will extend the offer of a round if we get this course opened up!

We dont get much snow around here.
When we do, It's typically not deep enough to need ribbons etc.
I wish it would.

we dont get a ton of snow. but i still play when we do. i suffer a lot. i throw a lot of big hyzers with fairway drivers close to the ground (my home course has lots of tunnels shots, low ceilings. As a result, i have always played for a pretty decent skip/flair. in the snow, ive found that my normal aiming spots dont work. . .

I live in the mountains of Colorado and this is my first winter actually playing through the winter. My entire town is covered in at least 2 feet of snow if not 3. And the only good open course option is a mountain course on a steep hillside. Snowshoes are pretty much required to play, otherwise you will be exhausted by hole 4. I usually put a 2 foot ribbon on my discs and the owner of the course is nice enough to shovel the pads.

A groomed course (packed snow) for winter play is a dream. I would definitely shell money to play a decently groomed course.
I do play a few rounds a month in the snow.
Buffalo, NY

The only course open around us gets lots of play during the winter. So much that typically it is trampled enough that finding discs is fairly simple. I used ribbons for a few rounds when i first started winter golf but they slow drivers down to much to my liking. If its above 10 degrees I'll typically play .

I played through the winters in Indiana and Chicago for 6 years, I don't play in snow much now that I'm in California but it certainly never stops my wife and I from playing.

I marked option 2. While I don't live in an area that gets a ton of snow, if at all, I don't usually play when it is over 4-6 inches. For what everyone else said, looking for your discs is not fun and for me, what I carry is basically what I have so losing a disc means I have to go buy more discs. (that is my fault, but my priorities are different now than they used to be.)

I play in all conditions in central iowa.

+spending. More gear. More and different discs. (For grip, for color, for 'being semi disposable', ect)

Not a fan if there is more than an inch or two on the ground. I'll ski or play hockey instead of disc golf and wait it out until snow is gone.

I don't play when the snow comes out because:

a) Loss of discs isn't worth it for me and

b) I don't play any tournaments in snowy weather where I live so it's kind of pointless to get better at something I don't need to get better at.

If I lived in an area where it snowed more, I'd probably be playing in the snow, but for me, it doesn't snow enough for me to consider playing in it when it does.

If it's going to be a business, offer a shop with snow golf materials. Hand warmers, smart wool socks, good tape, ribbons, zephyrs, towels, d-links, gloves with a loop for d-links, lights, small brooms, gardening knee pads (the small foam pieces), sharpies, and so forth.

Honestly, I'm not trolling, but I can't figure out what the kneepads are for.

I play in all conditions in central iowa.

+spending. More gear. More and different discs. (For grip, for color, for 'being semi disposable', ect)

what he said. It's cold for a while in Iowa, and usually snowy, so I'd give up 4-6 months of throwing if I avoided the winter disc. and that's just not gonna happen, what with the addiction and all...:D
That said, trudging through 18 inches of powder does get old pretty quick. I don't mind a foot or so of snow, but any more than that and the itch to play has to be pretty severe.

I would also recommend this broom for cleaning pads. The scraper edge works really well at chipping off packed icy/snowy footprints, and they're nice and inexpensive.

I used to play all winter back when I lived in Wisconsin. It would vary a bit by conditions, and our usually snowy stomping ground was a shorter 9 hole course, but we never stopped playing. Now I live in the south, I play all year round and rarely need more then a hoodie and jeans.

Bring a shovel for teepads. Shorten your run up. Extra socks...nothing is worse than cold feet when you're playing. I suggest nice, thick wool socks over regular athletic socks.

Leave your discs outside overnight before you go. Warm(ish) discs are no bueno in the snow...it'll stick to them something fierce.

3' ribbons, taped in the center of the underside of your discs. "Kick the Snow" is the worst game ever. Apply the ribbon indoors, where it's warm, so the tape adheres properly.

Says the dude whining about ribboning up for Sunday's round. :p

snow joke.

I voted 2 because I hate having to slow down on the tee pads when they are icy/slick. When I lived in Michigan we played throughout the winter, always fun to be outside, right? Similarly, when I lived in Texas, no one quit because it was too windy.

I think you should rig some solar containers that would produce hot water and then melt the teepads off when they get covered by ice/snow. Don't worry about clearing the fairways, just have forecaddies who mark the locations of the discs with flags.

Latest posts