• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you want a driving range on your home course?

Would you want a driving range on your home course?

• Yes

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 24.7%

• Total voters
I think it can be usefull. I have only seen two driving ranges. On in Kyle, Tx great course but the driving range was a very nice added bonus. Might lower the amount of "Web" distance if most people had access to a place with clearly marked distances.

The other was at Disc Nation in Austin, not a course but is a great way to test new discs.

I would love to have one local as football fields are limited to 300' of marked with an extra 60 feet in the inzones. plus theytend to be on private property if they are marked regularly and I would be worried about trespassing issues.

Deer Lakes is my home course. I voted "no". I just use Hole 17 or the field at Hole 7/9 for driving practice.

My home course has a practice tee to a practice basket.....although it is only about 200 ft.....still allows you to warm up the arm and get some putts in before or after your round....many play it as an additional 10th hole

wheres the option that says 'my home course has a ton of wide open fields what do i need a special driving range for"?

It would be kind of redundant. Unless its a busy weekend, you can pretty much use my home course itself as a driving range, or even several non-DG spots in the park that its in.

I live and play in the SouthEast. We don't have many open-field courses, and I avoid the ones that are here. If the driving range does not retrieve the discs for me, then there is no incentive to using it. I play tight-wooded, technical holes, and don't have much use for sheer distance. Maybe if the range retrieved my discs for me, had two or more doglegs 300 feet apart, and a few moving obstacles for use as Mandos, then it would be something I'd be interested in.
As it is, I live in an apartment, with the back deck overlooking the back of an office complex about 500 feet back. There is also a park about a mile up the road with plenty of open to slightly wooded fields. Both are places where I would never have to worry about people taking my discs, or getting hit by somebody else's.

Mt Airy has a slab of concrete in front of the clubhouse that use to be used for shuffle board. At the end of the slab there is a net hanging on two wooden posts. That's one of the driving ranges it currently has.

There's also an open field beyond the net with a couple practice baskets and a putting practice basket with an astroturf green.

I hate it, wish they'd take it out. :rolleyes:

Our course has giant soccer fields near by, they make great driving ranges!

My home course has soccer fields around the front if the course, so it's sort of already incorporated in the course.

The phrase 'Driving Range' does not exist in Disc Golf. We have practice fields, at best.

The only way a 'Driving Range' can actually exist is if it was a private business. Discs would need to be rented, and picked up by the company ON the range on say an hourly basis. With people going out to retrieve their discs every 5-15 throws, there is just no way you can refer to it as a range.

Yeah but then you get target practice along with your distance practice.

Leviathan in Ludington, MI has a pseudo driving range. Lots of space with 500' of markers at 50' each. A good way to start and end a round to bomb some out and have some fun. No lack of space there (3 sets of tees on 24 holes).

One of my home courses has a sweet one. Its the rectangle soccer field. It's artificial made of rubber I beleive. The course plays around it for the most part. Driving area opposed to range.
ntrp-1.jpg

soccer_banner_pic.jpg

This is what I want to do to all of you that keep talking about soccer fields and random open areas around the freakin park...

Kw4sH.gif

Stay on topic. Either you would want a driving range at your home course, or you not.

Focus Danielson!