• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

There was some chatter a couple pages back about DX Wraiths. DX Wraiths are my favorite for getting distance from this mold! I just can't bring myself to throw them on wooded holes because the high speed driver geometry is fragile in this plastic. I will break out the DX on open-ish holes or field holes... and I always love the results!

Wraiths, for me, are the ideal distance driver. I throw RHBH consistently 400+ on golf lines and have medium sized hands.

I love the rim configuration; the wing is wide without being too wide. Destroyers are just a touch too wide for me to get the snap that I want.

The rim is deep but not too deep, shallow but not too shallow. It's just right. Backhand, forehand, overhand, its all good.

The domes on most of mine are just right, not too big or too flat. Because of the dome to wing ratio, they roll very well.

The glide on the DX and Pros is fantastic. I have a bunch of Destroyers and only one of them goes consistently further than my DX and Pros. However, I prefer the slightly lower line that the Destroyers take.

The overstability of new Champs and Stars are fantastic for people like me who like to cycle one mold in order to cover various stabilities. I need to fully beat a champ to see where it ends up on the stability scale. One of my Champs has a bunch of wear but still resists turning if I put less than 350' on it.

The mold is *popular enough* to be offered in lots of different weights and plastics. I love having lots of options when it comes to buying Discs.

Everything just feels right. And works superbly. Unfortunately, this mold really does get overshadowed by the Destroyer :(

Unfortunately, this mold really does get overshadowed by the Destroyer :(

Which is a bit of a shame. Most people that I see throw destroyers have no buisness throwing them. With a wraith you can start to get "golf lines" at about 325'. Sure it's not the right choice at 325, but someone with low power could use it for that and probably have more fun than a giant 250' hyzer that ends 50' to the left of the fairway.

Two new gstar wraiths in the winter collection for this year. Can't wait to rip them.
Haven't thrown a wraith in ten plus years.

Love my 154 Starlite Wraith. Consistently gets 350, occasionally past. I throw it on open holes. Long glidey fade. Can coax plenty of turn but it always fades back. In fact the only thing I can't get out of is a large dumpy fade. Too straight for that. It has changed so many holes for me. Not the biggest power requirement either, it takes smooth form. I've bought another to beat in as well as a couple blizzards to try as well. Has taken hard tree hits and scrapes on pavement, no problems with durability.

Anyone throw an echostar? How are they? I've had a domey star that was great, and a flat star that was too flippy. Would it be safe to say that the echos would trend the same way, and does anyone know if they tend to be on the domey or flat side?

Anyone throw an echostar? How are they? I've had a domey star that was great, and a flat star that was too flippy. Would it be safe to say that the echos would trend the same way, and does anyone know if they tend to be on the domey or flat side?
I threw one 168 E* a month or so ago and I wouldn't call it flippy, but I wouldn't call it OS either. Never had a chance to test the durability but the plastic was somewhat soft and had good grip. Moderate dome. Released on a hyzer it would flip up to flat, track right, and come back with a moderate fade (first throw I wanted a hyzer bomb and got a max D flight... ended up OB but everyone was impressed by the shot), but it was the first time I had thrown a wraith in a while. That's the only E* one I've thrown so I couldn't compare dome, etc. FWIW I have a hair over 400 feet of consistent power

I only have 1 E* and it is the flattest Wraith I own.
Bsammons and I have about the same amount of power and mine is on the slightly under-stable side of the spectrum too. The glide is OK but is definitely not as much as DX or Pro. I can't speak to the durability because I'm always throwing Champ or Pro with a few sporadic DXes.
Hope this helps!

Just revisited the wraith. Super glad I did.
I lost my favorite disc ever in a pond months ago which was an old as dirt, super beat, found in a pond, half of the color faded, factory second champion wraith. I was absolutely devastated because I threw that thing all the time. Well yesterday I went to a course a few hours from where I live, and in the used bin was a factory second Champion wraith, 175 grams and beat to heck; the only difference was the color. I walked up and looked at the back and saw "WR 175", whispered "Excalibur", and happily payed the 10 bucks to buy it. Threw that thing just like my old wraith and lo and behold, 400 footers on command. Threw one well over 400 as well in the open field. I was so happy with it I got a 170 12x Star to beat into a bomber. How long does it take to beat the star ones into that sweet spot?

my gstar's were getting beat up today in moderate winds. was told that they can be more nose sensitive than you realized. but none the less the still staying in the winter bag. just need to tweak some things.

my gstar's were getting beat up today in moderate winds. was told that they can be more nose sensitive than you realized. but none the less the still staying in the winter bag. just need to tweak some things.

I love my gstar wraith. It will flip into a headwind tho. U should consider something a little more OS tho. If u want to stay gstar, maybe go destroyer or xcal(do they make gstar xcals?) depending on how far ur throwing them

Just revisited the wraith. Super glad I did.
I lost my favorite disc ever in a pond months ago which was an old as dirt, super beat, found in a pond, half of the color faded, factory second champion wraith. I was absolutely devastated because I threw that thing all the time. Well yesterday I went to a course a few hours from where I live, and in the used bin was a factory second Champion wraith, 175 grams and beat to heck; the only difference was the color. I walked up and looked at the back and saw "WR 175", whispered "Excalibur", and happily payed the 10 bucks to buy it. Threw that thing just like my old wraith and lo and behold, 400 footers on command. Threw one well over 400 as well in the open field. I was so happy with it I got a 170 12x Star to beat into a bomber. How long does it take to beat the star ones into that sweet spot?
The stars I purchased last year, which is likely the batch you also got from, beat in pretty fast. Much faster than older star or any champion, but after the initial breal in they pretty close to stopped beating in.

Had a Gstar Wraith on the bench for a while, but now have the form/snap to throw it- amazing disc! longest, most controllable driver I currently bag, does ok in Wind, also fabulous for FH drives-

may consider getting a Champ version for more stability than the notoriously more US plastic which is Gstar-