• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

hmm the most middle one I have is actually a metal flake. The other ones I have that are newer are either super flat or domey, not many in between.

Pop top Wraiths absolutely crush. Weights are 168, 170, 175, all go about the same distance, aren't super flippy yet just drift to the right and glide for days. New PR distance for myself set today with these bad boys

Pop top Wraiths absolutely crush. Weights are 168, 170, 175, all go about the same distance, aren't super flippy yet just drift to the right and glide for days. New PR distance for myself set today with these bad boys

Are those the new mini-stamp run? for some reason, my shop never got any of these. I"m going to have to get one eventually haha.

I've been mashing a Tern lately, which got me to think I am ready for a Destroyer. I am probably not LOL. however my distance drives are getting better, cleaner and flying further thanks to the Wraith. I have 2G*s for flipper duties (only carry one at a time while I work in my flippiest *WR) I have an older pat.# *WR that's mid-stamped as 12/5/-1/3 and 168g. It's freak stable and isn't in the bag. A nicely OS *WR that's also 168g. Two more stars that are both max and penned *WR as well. And one more older pop-top *WR that's pretty beat but surprisingly stable still as a back up. I don't know what the point of this post really is.... I just love this disc. I guess I will throw in a valid question. How many of you bookend a Wraith cycle with a DD? is the flight different enough to bag both?

I've been mashing a Tern lately, which got me to think I am ready for a Destroyer. I am probably not LOL. however my distance drives are getting better, cleaner and flying further thanks to the Wraith. I have 2G*s for flipper duties (only carry one at a time while I work in my flippiest *WR) I have an older pat.# *WR that's mid-stamped as 12/5/-1/3 and 168g. It's freak stable and isn't in the bag. A nicely OS *WR that's also 168g. Two more stars that are both max and penned *WR as well. And one more older pop-top *WR that's pretty beat but surprisingly stable still as a back up. I don't know what the point of this post really is.... I just love this disc. I guess I will throw in a valid question. How many of you bookend a Wraith cycle with a DD? is the flight different enough to bag both?

If you're chucking the Tern over 400' you can probably handle a star Destroyer. One thing I notice about star Destroyers is they absolutely do NOT cater to weak arms or mis-throws. If you botch a throw with a Destroyer the disc will let you know quickly and in an unpleasant manner. They're meant to be thrown very hard and flat.

If you're chucking the Tern over 400' you can probably handle a star Destroyer. One thing I notice about star Destroyers is they absolutely do NOT cater to weak arms or mis-throws. If you botch a throw with a Destroyer the disc will let you know quickly and in an unpleasant manner. They're meant to be thrown very hard and flat.

I'm in this exact boat of what will get me max D, since my Terns and Shrykes will go over 400' if I throw them properly, but I'm more confortable with a Destroyer. Can someone describe the Wraith to get, if I want a numbers flyer at ~400'?

One thing I notice about star Destroyers is they absolutely do NOT cater to weak arms or mis-throws. If you botch a throw with a Destroyer the disc will let you know quickly and in an unpleasant manner. They're meant to be thrown very hard and flat.

This is so true. Destroyers are incredibly unforgiving to nose angle errors. They will mask some OAT, tho.

Wraith is in the same bucket, but it doesn't magnify mis-cues quite as much.

This is so true. Destroyers are incredibly unforgiving to nose angle errors. They will mask some OAT, tho.

Wraith is in the same bucket, but it doesn't magnify mis-cues quite as much.

Yeah. I can go over 400' pretty much anytime I want to with any driver, but when I hit a star Destroyer poorly it always ends up being a bad throw. If you miss with it the disc will just stall out and fade hard and short of where you want it. That said, I still much prefer Destroyers to Wraiths. I feel like they're capable of better distance and are every bit as accurate. I won't really call a Destroyer easy to throw, but when I'm on my game its easily the most dependable driver in my bag. I love the way Destroyers handle pretty much all wind conditions with ease.

Wraiths fly pretty similarly to Destroyers. Same general stability. The best Wraith I ever threw was a domey CFR Augusta from like 2006. I got better distance with that thing than any Wraith before or since.

I'm in this exact boat of what will get me max D, since my Terns and Shrykes will go over 400' if I throw them properly, but I'm more confortable with a Destroyer. Can someone describe the Wraith to get, if I want a numbers flyer at ~400'?

I bag a Shryke and a star Destroyer. The Shryke will only come out of the bag on long, open holes when there isn't a headwind. I use the Destroyer far more often. Its much better on tighter lines and in varying wind conditions. I probably throw the Shryke 40-50' further than the Destroyer regularly. It isn't always accurate distance though. The star Destroyer is still plenty of disc to get to most holes at the course I play. Much more accurate than the Shryke.

The Shryke for me is more of a fun disc. If I played serious DG with lots of tight OB holes the Shryke would probably never even come out.

I agree on distance benefit with the Destro. When I switched from Wraiths, I got like a 30' distance bonus with no real detriment to my accuracy.

I typically use the Destro in calm or cross-wind conditions. I have a star XCal that I like for headwind throws, and a Vulcan that absolutely bombs with a tailwind. I could cover all of those slots with various Destroyers, like I did with Wraiths a few years ago. But you know what? Moar Moldz = Moar Funz!

Also it may be hard to find one to "open the door" for you. My first Destroyer was a pop top star plastic... I'll give you one guess how much of a meathook it was. I put it back on the shelf for months.

Funny how bad we want thing we know we shouldn't have haha

Wraiths fly pretty similarly to Destroyers. Same general stability. The best Wraith I ever threw was a domey CFR Augusta from like 2006. I got better distance with that thing than any Wraith before or since.

I find Star Wraiths to be far less OS than any newer Destroyers in the same weights. A lot of the newer runs of Star Wraiths have been amazing, while newer runs of Destroyers have been so ridiculously OS.

There are variations in both molds.
Some of the bottom-stamp star Wraiths are insanely OS, like the original run bottom stamp Destros.
But, some are not.

You can lose a bottom stamp star Wraith if you use it to kill a rattlesnake and then leave it behind.

Found this 170g old Pro Wraith in a used bin the other day. Definitely the older, pre-gummy pro. Actually in good shape and pretty flat so I was surprised at how flippy it was. Great glide and it goes far.

Curious if this old pro plastic is the same as the old KC pro, not the current KC pro stuff.

Attachments

• 20181027_154754.jpg
    20181027_154754.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 48
Found this 170g old Pro Wraith in a used bin the other day. Definitely the older, pre-gummy pro. Actually in good shape and pretty flat so I was surprised at how flippy it was. Great glide and it goes far.

Curious if this old pro plastic is the same as the old KC pro, not the current KC pro stuff.

No, pro plastic when the Wraith came out was already pretty different than the KC Pro stuff. KC Pro probably pre-dated the wraith by 5-7 years depending on which "flavor" of KC you are thinking of.

PLH is really the best way to determine stability but I've definitely found plenty of flippy flat Wraiths out there. Pros are pretty sweet in terms of glide and D.

Latest posts