• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

I've been loving my Wraith lately. I have a 168 pop-top Star Wraith that has more glide than any disc in my bag. I mainly throw it for long anhyzers. It is honestly my favorite disc to throw.

So I bought 4 wraiths to see how it flew and try and see some differences in the plastics.

My current driver setup is:
Champ Destroyer 175g - found this disc and only use for forehands and meathook drives
Moonshine Trespass 171g - found this disc too and use it for straight shots with reliable ending fade
Pro Tern 168g - new and pretty close to tresspass at this point
Champ Mamba 167g - new and used for straight flips and slight turnovers - pink champ mambas are awesome
Gstar Tern 162g - supper flippy and used for 90 degree right turn turnovers

Notes are based on my first set of throws with new discs. Test hole is an uphill 300ft par 3 that plays closer to 330-340 and requires a straight shot 80ft right of the basket that fades into a gap late. Usually has a mild headwind.

4 Wraiths I bought:
DX - Listed as 169 but weighed in at 167
Dome - Medium/high
PLH - Very low, almost identical to my champ mamba but actually just a hair lower
Rim - Concave
First impression - whoa this thing flies. I was not expecting something flippy out of the box but this has slighty mroe turn than the mamba and just as much glide. Not surprising since the profile of the disc is close to identical. I really wasnt expecting a disc with these numbers to fly like this. First throw almost took out some joggers with a beautiful turn and glided over the hill across the road and into a parking lot well past the basket. Guessing it was a 380+ shot which is awesome for me though not the disc for this hole. I assume this is a tree or two away from becoming my high throw, steep hyzer turnover replacement for my gstar tern. If this disc could stay in its current state I would pay a lot of money for it. It is perfect out of the box.

Pro - 167
Dome - Medium
PLH - Higher than dx, and very similar to my pro tern and MS tresspass. a hair higher than my somewhat beatin in destroyer
Rim - Concave but straighter than the dx
First impression - Similar in flight and distance to pro tern and MS tresspass. A nice straight shooter with fade at end. Will pop-up from a slight hyzer for me on 350+ ft of power.

Pro PFN - 169 Didnt get to throw yet but its profile is almost identical to the other pro wraith. This ones PLH is a hair higher.

Color Glow Champ xout - 167
Dome - Very flat. The rim has the normal wraith shape but when it gets to the flightplate it is very flat.
PLH - Way higher than the others. Somewhere between my 2019 sexybird and the champ destroyer.
Rim - Sligntly more convex than the pro. You can feel a ridge when you run your finger across it. This discs rim looks/feels very blizzardy
First impression - Definitely beefier than the rest. Would reliably turn in the headwind but had the least glide and I could not get it out as far as the destroyer I currently use for shots like this that require a hard fade into a headwind.
Plan to try it out as a forehand and thumber disc as i think it has more potential there.

I really enjoyed the flight that Big Jerm was getting out if the Star Wraith in round 1 of the Utah Open. Hole #1 was a fine example...

Until it went OB into the water.

Spoiler not withstanding, I seriously did dig the shape of his shots with it. And NICE distance. :thmbup:

Recent Star Wraiths are indeed great. They're the only thing that has been able to compare to my 2011-ish MF Wraiths in terms of glide and distance.

Really liking this disc for relaible distance as well as distance side arms. It's much easier to handle than the destroyer/D2/Ballista Pro and they go almost the same distance for me.

Any idea what they most overstable Wraith is?

I recently stepped back to the wraith (from destroyers) after finding a sweet pfn star (and a newer embossed star) at my local Pias. Loving them for forehands, especially. I need to scoop a fresh pro wraith to pair with them but haven't seen any in my color at my favorite retailers.

I recently stepped back to the wraith (from destroyers) after finding a sweet pfn star (and a newer embossed star) at my local Pias. Loving them for forehands, especially. I need to scoop a fresh pro wraith to pair with them but haven't seen any in my color at my favorite retailers.

Totally agree. I'm loving them for BH but they are a perfect stability for my FHs.

Does anyone have or had the older 2000's (around 2008?) Champion and Star models that had the V wing? I am just wondering if those had the same US that the V wing Star Destroyer had?

I've got a fairly gummy Star Wraith and wanted to pair it with a more OS version of the same mold. I went to my local shop and asked the guru his suggestion. He said he threw Wraiths for years and always found the metal flake Wraiths to be noticeably extra beefy, but he hasn't seen a run of MF Wraiths in a while. The current Glow Wraiths have a reputation of having some added stability, but he told me I'd likely be dissapointed in how small that stability difference is. He steered me toward a C-Line PDX instead and I've been happy with the purchase.

The Hendel CG Wraiths from the pro shop are pretty beefy. I have a normal glow factory second I traded for from someone on here and it is very OS, also have a MF wraith that has been beat a little and it's pretty OS and wonderful to throw. On a spectrum I'd go Glow>ColorGlow=MF

The Hendel CG Wraiths from the pro shop are pretty beefy. I have a normal glow factory second I traded for from someone on here and it is very OS, also have a MF wraith that has been beat a little and it's pretty OS and wonderful to throw. On a spectrum I'd go Glow>ColorGlow=MF

If you can find a bottom stamp star, that was the beefiest wraith I ever threw

After throwing my 157 Pro Wraith infrequently for 3 months, it is just starting to lose a little high speed stability. Still finishes with a reliable fade at my less-than-awe-inspiring distance. :D

Still the best sort-of-OS distance driver I have found for the noodle-armed, and complements a 157 Neutron Wave nicely.

Madison is awesome but I'm not a fan of the swirly star or that stamp really. Doesn't help that I'm a total noodle arm and can't throw wraiths worth a damn either. Probably still gonna pick one up

Madison Walker has some new swirly Star Tour Wraiths at the factory store. I'll have to wait to see them on eBay before getting one.

Interesting.....

"These Wraiths have been tooled to fit Madison's exact specifications, in the weight and plastic that she prefers"

Only weights listed are 170-172, which is where I like them. Like I need another Wraith though.

Madison is awesome but I'm not a fan of the swirly star or that stamp really. Doesn't help that I'm a total noodle arm and can't throw wraiths worth a damn either. Probably still gonna pick one up

The swirly Star always looks nice on their website, but you open the box and the majority are barf colored

The swirly Star always looks nice on their website, but you open the box and the majority are barf colored

It's usually that way that's why I want to see real photos from sellers on eBay. I've got a swirly ESP Buzzz & Meteor that look amazing. Sometimes swirly turns out right.

Latest posts