• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wrist flip issue

Phule77

Par Member
I throw mainly rhbh. I saw the Mike c video where he showed how to throw with your grip at the bottom position of a handshake, and when I release that correctly, discs fly flat and true.

However, those who have stood next to me have told me that I tend to flip my wrist up at the end. Part of this, I think, is because I'm trying to compensate for a hard right release which seems to turn even many os discs us...

I think a lot of it is just handling all of the moving parts at once. Are there exercises or drills that I can work on to keep my wrist locked during snap and release?

Field worked best for me to reduce wrist roll. I would suggest putter only rounds and throwing with a fan grip. Use your atom if you have one for putting and one for upshots/drive or a really honest midrange like a comet. I think your theory falls into that midrange category too. Fan grips seems to help me get some better downward pressure with my thumb which help my err more on the side of releasing with hyzer than anhyzer.

Add your Inspire back to the bag after a couple weeks of putter only rounds. Power grip or fork grip if the driver is too big to keep fan gripping. With drivers I try to concentrate on throwing/aiming with my thumb. Throwing/aiming with the thumb is kind of hard to explain but when you do it you can feel a bit of tension along the top of your wrist heading toward your thumb. If you lose that bit of tension then your bringing your wrist up and probably rolling over shots. Also think about rolling your thumb under you wrist after the release. You will probably get some sharper hyzers at first but those hyzer shots will be easier to straighten out with our messing up your form.

The way you've worded your post makes it a little confusing for me for what's exactly happening. But, regardless of what is the cause of messing up with maintaining your planes, I find the best option is to throw mild sweep hyzers with stable to understable discs. Try to get nice C-shaped flights out of your putters, stable mids (Roc, Buzzz, Mako, whatever), and mellow fairway drivers. You don't have to throw them as far as possible but just get them to fly on that line at 70% power. Then just flatten out the shots a little and see what they do. Concentrating on hitting a line rather than trying to throw the disc far changes your mentality towards just ripping a disc out there, which can lead to yanking on it. If a disc is too stable/fast for you to throw it far how it was meant, then keep that in mind and use it for the lines it works for at your current arm speed, not what you're trying to make it do. Use something else for straight distance.

I don't tend to throw with my atom because it goes so incredibly understable on me unless I'm putting.

I don't tend to throw with my atom because it goes so incredibly understable on me unless I'm putting.

Something is definitely going on because my atom, which has hit a few trees, goes very straight for me, and tends to have a slight fade at the end. I can toss it around 250' on a straight line.

Wrist cocked on left = good. Keeps the discs orientation parallel to your forearm.
discorientation01.jpg
discorientation02.jpg

You also want to line the disc up parallel to begin with. Last picture = bad.
seam01.jpg
seam02.jpg
seam03.jpg

Correct on the left, wrong on the right. (First two pictures with an open hand and no disc)
wristdown01.jpg
wristdown02.jpg

Assuming you're mostly releasing everything flat, pay attention to where your thumbnail is while throwing/following through. It should stay level to the ground for the most part...if you notice your thumbnail pointing outward towards the end of your throw that may be an easier way for you to observe your own wrist roll. Figuring out how to NOT point your nail out is the way you stop rolling your wrist the way you do.

Latest posts