• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

XCaliber

Seanzerelli said:
I thought it only added or subtracted glide. I can't see how that works to have more dome and more stability. Kinda why I was wondering about it lately.

I think domes can develop in three ways;
1) Some discs have the dome in the mold and when they are molded and it stays the same.
2) Some discs develop a dome as they cool that pulls the edge of the disc up making it more stable.
3) The rim on some discs pull down when they cool producing a dome in the process and making the disc less stable.

This is all speculation on my part.

Seanzerelli said:
And the first run xcals don't seem to be different from the production runs like the destroyer was.

Thats's interesting. Hadn't heard of that. I have a Star first run and a pro. Pro is supposed to start out as a more overstable disc. How do regular Stars compare to first run Stars?

On topic: Dave D said that too much dome turns discs to understable.

I don't think that's too common until now. Usually more dome means a better fighting ability to flex back from an anhyzer than a flat top.

Well that's just something me and a few others have observed throwing them all, they seemed more overstable. Like a faster teerex, so I threw it for a while, then it started turning and not coming back when I turned it over, but it came back more than a production run star that I had. Just my opinion. I thought the first runs flew like faster teerexes and the production runs flew like faster starfires. I had a 170 first run and 169 production run star. Aaaaaand I have a couple friends who try to hang on to throwing just first runs, but he also throws pro now too (but not regular star run), which seems real overstable at first. I still haven't broken in my pro one though.

Seanzerelli said:
Well that's just something me and a few others have observed throwing them all, they seemed more overstable. Like a faster teerex, so I threw it for a while, then it started turning and not coming back when I turned it over, but it came back more than a production run star that I had. Just my opinion. I thought the first runs flew like faster teerexes and the production runs flew like faster starfires. I had a 170 first run and 169 production run star. Aaaaaand I have a couple friends who try to hang on to throwing just first runs, but he also throws pro now too (but not regular star run), which seems real overstable at first. I still haven't broken in my pro one though.

My 1st run Destroyer has broken in to become a bit flippy and it'll hold the turn until very late in the throw if the line isn't high. Which slows the disc down enough for the fade to kick in. My 166 Star Wraith of early production without KC signature and the hardest Star blend I've felt(durable too) flips still more and doesn't fight to flex back as well as the Destroyer. Despite the Wraith being domey.

Overall design seems to have a much larger effect than dominess. At least when the mold doesn't produce large variations as happens with many wide winged drivers. Tuning and possibly removal of flashing help.

Latest posts