• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] XT VAviar

eric40817

* Ace Member *
Anyone grab any of these and have any insight? I havent thrown anything with the V Technology. Supposedly they cross bred two molds - the P&A and BB Aviar, birthing the VAviar.

Anyone grab any of these and have any insight? I havent thrown anything with the V Technology. Supposedly they cross bred two molds - the P&A and BB Aviar, birthing the VAviar.

Adding to the OP's question: I'm told a Whale is just a V-Tech Aviar P&A. Is that so? And what are the differences between a Whale and a VAviar?

It's an Avair with a micro bead, which will put it between a BB Avair and and beadless Aviar. I love the XT plastic as well, extra tough and extra traction.

vaviar sounds like a p1x, and they look very similar. I have yet to hold one though. As for whale, its the vtech lower mold with the aviar driver (kc pro, jk pro, p2) top. The p1x has the same lower mold but with an aviar p&a ( classic, p1, mcpro) top.

Last edited:
vaviar sounds like a p1x, and they look very similar. I have yet to hold one though. As for whale, its the vtech lower mold with the aviar driver (kc pro, jk pro, p2) top. The p1x has the same lower mold with an aviar p&a ( classic, p1, mcpro) top.

That's what I was thinking about the P1X also. Aviar with a microbead. If the flight is similar, it's a great neutral, glidey putter.

vaviar sounds like a p1x, and they look very similar. I have yet to hold one though. As for whale, its the vtech lower mold with the aviar driver (kc pro, jk pro, p2) top. The p1x has the same lower mold but with an aviar p&a ( classic, p1, mcpro) top.

Thanks, that makes sense and it fits my observations of (and questions about) the Whale.

I'm still resisting the Siren's song to buy a Whale...

I'm still resisting the Siren's song to buy a Whale...

I don't know if you should. Dave stated in that Q&A if he was going to carry any Aviar or variant that it would be the Whale. I think he is surprised that it hasn't sold better. I wonder if its another example of how a bad name can kill a disc no matter how good it is.

I don't know if you should. Dave stated in that Q&A if he was going to carry any Aviar or variant that it would be the Whale. I think he is surprised that it hasn't sold better. I wonder if its another example of how a bad name can kill a disc no matter how good it is.

I dunno, I kinda like the name and the stamp.
Not crazy about how many fathoms deep it feels.

:\

I love the feel of the Whale but Dx Aviars are so much easier to get.

I saw that Q&A with Mr. Dunipace. Don't get me wrong; I think he is saying what he feels and is telling the truth. But I also felt like he was 'selling his book', so to speak, in that interview.

I also have held the Whale in my grubby paws, and it's not as shallow nor comfortable as other discs that I do throw. I do like VTech technology, but the Whale just didn't feel right in my hand, so sorry.

As to why it hasn't sold better? I don't know. Maybe they should bring it out in more plastics (Star, KC Pro, etc.) Also, Mr. Dunipace said in that Q&A that he was always surprised the Viking didn't sell better than it has. The Viking is a perfectly good disc, so I think he has a good point. And that disc also could stand to be sold in Star plastic (it is possible that I like Star plastic and am biased, of course :) ).

I bought 2 XT Whales when they first came out (and later sold them). As has been stated by others, they felt very deep in my hands with a very high shoulder. I didn't feel like I could get a clean release putting or driving with them. Then again, the only kind of Aviar I really like is the Yeti, which feels shallower due to the puddle top, so take my opinion on the whale with a large dose of salt. If you like Aviars (or discs that feel even deeper than Aviars) then you may like the Whale. It just isn't for me.

According to the Innova Factory Store, the VAviar is the "evolution of the Aviar P&A." However, the profile pic they have of it certainly looks like it's beaded. The Aviar P&A mold is not beaded so I'm not sure exactly what they're playing at there. If the Whale is basically already the V-Big-Bead-Aviar, then why are they releasing a V-Aviar-P&A WITH A BEAD? It makes no sense to me.

You could count me in for a Star Viking. For awhile I carried two DX for open holes and a couple of champs for when trees are in play. I am a lumberjack. Doesn't matter how small the tree is or if its the only one in the fairway I will hit it.

Doesn't seem like many people around here have tossed the VAVIAR. I thought this got released a month or so ago? Haven't seen much in the way of feedback I do like the play on the classic Aviar stamp. I am just really cautious about trying discs that aren't regular production.

According to the Innova Factory Store, the VAviar is the "evolution of the Aviar P&A." However, the profile pic they have of it certainly looks like it's beaded. The Aviar P&A mold is not beaded so I'm not sure exactly what they're playing at there. If the Whale is basically already the V-Big-Bead-Aviar, then why are they releasing a V-Aviar-P&A WITH A BEAD? It makes no sense to me.

I was also confused until I saw gerth_vader's post above. So let me say these things:

1) VTech bottoms are very convex rims and beads.
2) the Big Bead Aviar Driver, as well as the KCPro Aviar, etc. are different tops than the Aviar P&A/McPro Aviar, etc. I eyeballed this, and sure enough, the BB Aviar Driver has a higher side wall than the P&A.
3) the Whale is the Big Bead Avair/KC Pro Aviar, etc. with the VTech bottom. The VAviar is the P&A with the VTech bottom.

Ergo, because the VTech means that the disc will have a bead, the VAviar has a bead, but is not a Whale because the VAvair top is an Aviar P&A top while the Whale is a Aviar Driver top.

I think Dave made a good, clear point. The beadless aviar can be unreliable in a headwind. A KC aviar can be difficult to throw straight because they are often very overstable. The whale is an aviar but fits in between those two, hence why he likes it more. He said it's reliable and easy to throw straight whether you're putting, throwing it into wind, and so on. Instead he said he's using a nova, presumably because it's even easier to throw straight, and a colt+stud as his midranges. Whether you think he is being honest in saying that he prefers those discs or if he is biased to marketing his new products to existing customers is pretty irrelevant. You can take his word or leave it, I have no issues trusting him when he says he prefers those discs, why wouldn't he? They're great discs with different feel in hand. He said all his discs colt-tern/destroyer are Gstar, so you think he doesn't really prefer Gstar and that's he's just marketing new products to existing customers? I'm not going to buy one anyway I already have discs I prefer.

Most people like the feel of a nice slow chugger aviar. If you like a faster alternative there are many perfect options on the market, but that's not an issue for most people. Everybody draws the line somewhere, for me the rattler is uncomfortable and the magnet is very comfortable. Maybe we grip it differently or something, I have about a "size Large" hand.

Doesn't matter how small the tree is or if its the only one in the fairway I will hit it.

Trees seem to magnetically attract my discs to hit them. Strange violations of physics, I have seen... :wall:

Doesn't seem like many people around here have tossed the VAVIAR. I thought this got released a month or so ago? Haven't seen much in the way of feedback I do like the play on the classic Aviar stamp. I am just really cautious about trying discs that aren't regular production.

I have yet to see a VAviar. Right now they're just figments of my imagination...

I am a thrower and putter of the XT Whale. I love the hss without lss. I also own (but don't throw) the Colt and Stud.

I got a VAviar in the mail yesterday. It has the Whale V tech bottom but is shallower. It's very very Wizard-like.

Been putting it a bit in the yard and it's very good. I threw it on multiple lines in my local park as well. Stable but workable. Not sure it will become my main putter but maybe.

Seems like a mold that would be real nice in KC / McPro. I expect that it will be released as part of the official product line in multiple plastics.

I have 6 of them. It's a nice neutral putter for aviar lovers. I threw mine all winter and when it's hot I'll putt a McPro or KC Aviar. I'd definitely like to see it in a stiffer plastic.

I got a VAviar in the mail yesterday. It has the Whale V tech bottom but is shallower. It's very very Wizard-like.
Been putting it a bit in the yard and it's very good. I threw it on multiple lines in my local park as well. Stable but workable. Not sure it will become my main putter but maybe.
Seems like a mold that would be real nice in KC / McPro. I expect that it will be released as part of the official product line in multiple plastics.

From where did you get your VAviar? Proshop? Anyone know if and when they'll come into full production?

Latest posts