• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Yet another RHBH critique

bopApocalypse

I've been trying this "tempo" drill and it seems like it's working OK for me.

I figured I'd take some video and see what I can see. My best feeling throw of the evening, slowed down for the actual throw portion: http://youtu.be/wlZ_xeV3zqo

In general, I'm getting putters (and everything else) out to 180' or so. I know in the past I've been trying to muscle the distance out of my throws - trying to do fieldwork to correct that. What do you see that I can change?

(I'm pretty comfortable with my x-step, but trying to leave that out as I feel like, throwing so short, there must be something fundamentally missing.)

Just breaking this down to make sure I'm understanding-

You are leaning back way out of posture(folded posture)
reviewing my video, I'm bending over (like I'm going to pick something up off the ground), particularly during my reach back - this?

not rotating your shoulders under your head.
mostly on the release/follow-through? I feel like (and video seems to show it) I'm getting my shoulders 100% away from the direction of the throw during my reach back.

You are only moving your upper body back(too far/past the rear leg), instead of moving the entire body with the hips back.
This was the one thing I really noticed watching myself for the first time - even though I was really focusing on the weight transfer, my hips were staying in the same place.

Your huge reach back reminded me of Will Schusterick. He'd be a good throw to YouTube and imitate.
Other than the fact that Will does it, any reasons to do it or not do it? I'm trying to rebuild stuff from the ground up, I'm definitely not reaching back that far if I'm not out doing field work and focusing on it - I know I watched a longer clinic he did recently and that may be having some effect on what I'm doing.

I'll re-watch the Papa and Schusterick videos again and see how I can apply them to what I'm seeing wrong with my own throw.

Thanks for the insight!

reviewing my video, I'm bending over (like I'm going to pick something up off the ground), particularly during my reach back - this?
Exactly. You want to start the lawn mower from an upright athletic position, like a tug of war position. Head stacked over the shoulders, and also stacked over the hips/knees/feet.

mostly on the release/follow-through? I feel like (and video seems to show it) I'm getting my shoulders 100% away from the direction of the throw during my reach back.
Your head is buried down the entire throw. You do get the shoulders turned back, but at the cost of posture and balance and keeping the spinal axis tight. You need to turn the hips further and keep the head over your shoulders, you will feel way more torque through your core.

This was the one thing I really noticed watching myself for the first time - even though I was really focusing on the weight transfer, my hips were staying in the same place.
Everything needs to move more together and upright athletic posture. Your weight will transfer back and forth just maintaining dynamic balance, just like when you walk normally.

Other than the fact that Will does it, any reasons to do it or not do it? I'm trying to rebuild stuff from the ground up, I'm definitely not reaching back that far if I'm not out doing field work and focusing on it - I know I watched a longer clinic he did recently and that may be having some effect on what I'm doing.

I'll re-watch the Papa and Schusterick videos again and see how I can apply them to what I'm seeing wrong with my own throw.

Thanks for the insight!
Two things I 100% don't agree with Will S on, that is 1. the leaning back to shift weight back, and 2. keeping the head down, some of the worst advice ever that can wreck your back. Other than those two things, he gives great advice.

Latest posts