• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You want to know why DG is awesome?

papamullins

Birdie Member
The community.

While putting today, my wedding band came off. My partner and I looked for a good 45 minutes before giving up and going to search for a metal detector. It was already 95 at noon, and I was already sunburned from Saturday.

After running around town for about an hour and a half, I go back out to the course, find where I marked my bag lie/putt from, and start searching again. When all was said and done, I ended up finding the ring. But that's not the moral of the story.

The cool part is that I had not 1, not 2, but 3 DIFFERENT groups stop by, drop their gear, and help look for it. I counted 10 different heads (other than mine) looking for that ring throughout the course of the afternoon. Nothing compelled these groups to stop; I didn't ask for help. They all decided to help because that's just the type of people we are. And I'll be damned if I wouldn't have done the same. Helping to spot a lost or stuck disc, or busting out my Golden Retriever so some randoms on the course don't have to get wet - always remember to pass it forward. You never know when one day you'll be the one needing a helping hand.

So here's to you, random guys at North Lakes this afternoon. If any of you are reading this, I did end up finding the ring. If it wasn't for the kindness of everyone that stopped by, I probably would have lost hope and gone home to a super pissed wife. :thmbup:

Even though we get in pissing contests on DGCR sometimes, out on the courses disc golfers are 99.9% good people.

You couldn't ask for a better group of people to hang out with.

Half of the fun is looking for stuff. Playing DG is like perpetual Easter.

Half of the fun is looking for stuff. Playing DG is like perpetual Easter.

Lol, finally, a noob that gets it!

*No disrespect intended*

Great story man. What course if you don't mind me asking? I'm in the D-F-Dubbleyoo

I definitely stop to help my fellow player look for items. I don't expect the same back, but I usually get it :) I may come off as a snatch here, but I am quite pleasant in person.

Sounds like some good ole Southern hospitality. Bunch of damn Yankees up here.

Really, I'd say 75% of people run into are great and act just like the people you described. However, it seems like there are more and bad apples on the course with the apparent DG "boom" around here. You know, the ones only a mother could love. If they have mothers, that is. :|

Good to hear stories like this though. :thmbup:

So you told us the same story you told your wife, now I wanna hear the real story why you didn't have your band? :p Just playin', that's pretty cool.
My son and I stopped to help a guy with his group who was digging through the grass. We asked what color and he said my phone. We looked for like ten minutes before another group stopped and joined the search. Then we all looked some more. Finally a guy just walking by finds the phone on the walking trail and runs it over. We ended up finishing that hole with about 13 people.

Glad to hear you got your wedding band back. Always nice to hear people are willing to help out. :)

On a similar note, I was playing at Rosland Park in Edina yesterday. A friend of mine and I were joking around so I tossed an old tourney-stamped Groove that I keep in my bag for shots that I worry I'll lose a disc on at him. Turns out I forgot to pick it up after I threw, and later that night I get a call from a guy at the course saying he found it and he he hid it by a dumpster on the course. Not at the level of a wedding band or a cell phone, but it's really cool to know that there are good people out there who are willing to help you out, and actually call you back when you write your name and number on a disc. Made my day. Disc golfers are great people

On a similar note, I was playing at Rosland Park in Edina yesterday. A friend of mine and I were joking around so I tossed an old tourney-stamped Groove that I keep in my bag for shots that I worry I'll lose a disc on at him. Turns out I forgot to pick it up after I threw, and later that night I get a call from a guy at the course saying he found it and he he hid it by a dumpster on the course. Not at the level of a wedding band or a cell phone, but it's really cool to know that there are good people out there who are willing to help you out, and actually call you back when you write your name and number on a disc. Made my day. Disc golfers are great people

Obligatory Groove joke here.