• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Your Baseline Bag

Putter - JB Challenger (or D if Jawbreaker isn't baseline)
Approach - Classic Suspect & Zero Hard Pure
Mid - D Buzzz OS & X Buzzz
Control - DX Thunderbird, X Undertaker, & X Heat
Distance - Pro Wraith & X Thrasher

No. God no.

Is that response to the Teebird or Rhyno? And just curious, but why do you dislike which ever that is a response to? Not that I am trying to convince you to like them, I am genuinely interested in why almost all experienced disc golfers do or don't like certain molds.

This is easy. With a few exceptions, my slow discs are base plastic and drivers are pro already. I have trouble getting a good grip on premium plastics. Probably the only disc I would really miss with the all base/pro setup would be my Opto Fuse.

R-Pro Aviar
D Zone
Big Slick DX Roc
DX Roc3
Pro Leopard
Pro Valkyrie
DX Thunderbird
Pro Wraith

I always think its crazy how much more some companies charge for "premium" plastic.

The difference in material cost from "base" plastic to most "premiums" is only about $1.50 for a 170g disc.

Is that response to the Teebird or Rhyno? And just curious, but why do you dislike which ever that is a response to? Not that I am trying to convince you to like them, I am genuinely interested in why almost all experienced disc golfers do or don't like certain molds.

Teebirds and Rhynos are both fine discs. Better than that really. They are both excellent golf discs. But DX Firebirds beat in to do Teebird stuff. And the DX Eagle is a glorious mold for shaping lines all through it's wear cycle.

I always think its crazy how much more some companies charge for "premium" plastic.

The difference in material cost from "base" plastic to most "premiums" is only about $1.50 for a 170g disc.

Probably true, but there are other production costs to consider. Just guessing, but it's possible that premium materials take more energy in the injection molding process, and more time in the post-mold cooling process. All that can have a significant impact on the cost to the manufacturer on top of the raw materials costs.

Also, taking the net change in production cost, that will get scaled up (maybe doubled?) in the wholesale cost and scaled up again (doubled) to get the MSRP.

So really, $1.50 material cost increase and $8-12 MSRP increase seem to make sense together...at least from an order of magnitude perspective.

Generally true, but the quality of premium plastics is such that one might go through two, three, or more baseline discs while using just one premium disc. Ergo, they get a bit more in the sale, and the customer potentially saves a lot over time.

Teebirds and Rhynos are both fine discs. Better than that really. They are both excellent golf discs. But DX Firebirds beat in to do Teebird stuff. And the DX Eagle is a glorious mold for shaping lines all through it's wear cycle.

I had not thought about it, but I can totally see your point about the Firebird into Teebird cycle. I don't have a Dx Firebird, but my most beat Gstar flies just like an overstable Teebird.

Classic Aviar
KC Aviar
DX Roc (beat)
DX Roc (seasoned)
KC Roc
DX Leopard
DX Teebird

This is pretty close to my regular bag. Add a few discs in Star (Aviar3, Leopard, Teebird), and a couple in Champ (Teebird, Firebird) and that's my usual setup.

JK Aviars
DX Rhyno
R-Pro Rhyno
McPro Roc3s
DX Gator
DX TeeBirds
P-PDs
Pro Destroyers
P-PD2s

Basically just a condensed and cycled version of what I already bag.

S Line Spirit
P PD2 (in many stages of wear)
DX Teebirds (in a few stages of wear)
D Line FD (cause they are fun)
K3 Kaxe (a handful of them)
TP Comet
K3 Reko (couple stages)
K3 Berg
Old Circle Stamp Polecat

Probably true, but there are other production costs to consider. Just guessing, but it's possible that premium materials take more energy in the injection molding process, and more time in the post-mold cooling process. All that can have a significant impact on the cost to the manufacturer on top of the raw materials costs.

Also, taking the net change in production cost, that will get scaled up (maybe doubled?) in the wholesale cost and scaled up again (doubled) to get the MSRP.

So really, $1.50 material cost increase and $8-12 MSRP increase seem to make sense together...at least from an order of magnitude perspective.

All excellent points.

Latest posts