• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your First Ace

Don't get your first ace this way:

I was playing a lot and wondering how long it might take to hit one, and decided to go get one on purpose. We had a stupid, short, nine hole course (that has since been pulled and is being redesigned) that had no holes over 187'. The shortest was only 50 feet! I'd hit chains or the cage the last two times I played it, so I went and got a 'legitimate' ace there on purpose. Really a let-down. :(
So that same day, in my second loop, I shot another one, on a 101 footer, with a perfect laser shot with my Comet, having to lean out of the overgrown tee box and between two trees. That felt better.
It wasn't until my first tourney ace that I really felt the thrill...:eek:

Hole 1 short to short at my home course. Was not a traditional ace, but it was my first hole in one throw. I was warming up for a tournament and throwing drives at basket one off the tee. One went in in front of the rest of my buddies. The basket for 1 is about 15 yards away from the pavilion.

My first TRUE ace was on Christmas Day of last year. After presents and breakfast I went out to the same course by myself around 11am and played a round. Hole 6 short to short. Threw a gateway slayer right in the slim gap between the 2 mando trees. Perfect throw, skip ace. Only way to get it up to the basket.

Just got another ace this week during our league night and was able to cash in for $82. Another "true ace" during doubles.

i hit mine on a 200 ft hole with a beast 4 or 5 summers ago. those were the days.

hit my first one on 14 at kinston with a hyzer flick downhill to the right. had a witness. Went back about a week ago to play the longs to prepare for the upcoming tourney there and decided to take the same disc back to try it again and sure enough....hit that SOB again!!! only aces i have are on that hole with the same disc lol. a 175 star firebird.

My first Ace came on 7-17-2010 after a little over 2yrs of playing. I had entered a Tournament and played Masters because I didn't know any better. Well, I was getting my A$$ handed to me and I had become really frustrated. I come to #16 Red at Sontag DGC that offers 2 lines to the basket 200ft away. I threw a Star 165 Eagle and nailed it. there was much Jubilation on my part and the guys I was playing with took pictures of me at the basket. This obviously made my day and my score no longer mattered. FYI - I entered this same Tournament in July '12 and took 1st place in the Masters division.

My first ace was with a Star Destroyer on a <200 foot hole dog leg right with a side arm. Perfect flick for a spike hyzer and it hit the chains and stuck. Worth $126 :) That was only 5 month of playing though. But I still use a Destroyer on that hole :p

Cheetah?

My first ace was on a >200' hole with a Dx valk. No way I would ever throw a valk on that hole now.
My first ace was a downhill turnover with a beat-in DX Cheetah. It flew down the hill & banked off right around the corner & out of sight. Another in the group said he thought he heard chains. I dismissed it until we went down & saw the disc in the basket. Still hard to believe. I threw the same disc a few more times & almost lost it so I retired it. To this day I have not put another DX Cheetah back in the bag to replace it!

My first was at Idlewild, hole 12. Pin was in the old position, and I flexed a Z Force through the trees and smashed the chains. It was the third time I'd thrown it and the only ace disc I've retired (after the round, of course).

My first and only ace took 17 years, although with multiple spans of multiple years without playing at all. I was literally the only person in the park at the time. :\

First Ace was 100 foot hole with a tree guarding it. It was a second shot, same day I hit 5 or 6 holes later and chained and bounced out.

First real ace, was a blind hole 175 up hill to downhill with an Ion(Hole 17 at Flip City)

My first ace was at Sedgley Woods in Phiily. I had decided to play hookie from work that day and go throw since the forecast said it was supposed to be beautiful. I get down there and there is literally 5 people on the entire course. I ended up playing with two older gentlemen and we all decided to play the blue tees. After warming up and praticing what I call putting (others may call it a fluke chance in hell of the disc going into the basket) we step onto the first tee. Without having thrown a single shot yet, I grab my trusty Medium Wizard and make a few practice motions. I then proceeded to throw a laser beam right at the basket...it never moved off the center of the pole. BANG..right in the chains for my first ace....we just exploded into laughter and gave everyone high fives. I did not collect my 5 dollars from the group as they were a little short on cash. So after playing the front 18, we jump in my truck, drive to the local store and I ended up buying myself and them some beers to celebrate. We then proceeded to play the third 9 and I hit chains one more time that day but it did not stick.

I have had one ace. Threw a nice sweeping anny and it went right in. I have hit that same basket 2 more times. Its great walking up to that hole.

what course?

My first ace was on a >200' hole with a Dx valk. No way I would ever throw a valk on that hole now.

Funny. To think how much we improve.

First threw a disc in the summer of 2004, first ace was July 2011 at a 9 hole course in Kenyon Mn on hole 1. Like 200ft with a star sidewinder, easy buzzz shot now or drone or magnet lol

What course?

big no turn vector shot on a 300' downhill hole. perfect backhand line.

What course?

Hole #1 at Joseph C Miller DGC in Jefferson City, MO. Been playing disc golf under a year... and never got an ace in ball golf playing avidly for over 25 years! (had a 5.6 handicap when I quit).

It was AFTER league... so no ace pot for me. :doh:

New short pin placement just put in a few weeks earlier... guessing right around 200 uphill through the woods. I missed my preferred hyzer line as it sailed right up the gut straight into the chains. My wife and dog along with other leaguers were all there to witness it. 167g Champion Monarch... I quit throwing it a while back and it sits in my trunk to this day. Probably should add it to the wall in my office.

It's time for another... so I think I'll head out now for a round here in Owasso, OK... my son is getting married tomorrow night in Tulsa.

My first ace was at Token Creek (aka Vallarta-Ast). I'd been on a streak hitting metal, but no aces. About a week before I hit what looked to be dead center chains on one of the holes on my home course with a new ESP Comet (hole 15 Hiestand) but it bounced out. I decided I really wanted an ace so I started ace running everything from the short tees to white pins at Token. Third hole I throw my Buzzz right at the pin and chain out (normally a putter hole, but I wanted the ace!). Fourth hole I throw the Buzzz right over top of the basket. It continued like this until I finally aced on hole 14 with a Comet, and my best friend and girlfriend were there to see it.

Best part is, my friend hit his first ace the next day, hole 13 at Hiestand with a Wizard. It was a pretty solid weekend of disc golf.

So I got my whole family into the sport last fall. My Dad played one round before the Ace Race I TD'ed in late August. So fast forward to October 3rd, and I am on a plane from New Orleans back to Colorado. I land and turn on my phone and I have six texts and three voicemails of my Dad screaming that he just got his first ace... in less than two months. He bragged about it to some guys that just looked at him with contempt and one said "I've been playing 14 years and have never gotten an ace..."

My 1st was 249' uphill and very open. I had seen it aced before in fact its pretty common on this hole. I had parked it several times before. I should point out I had been playing about 3 years as well. I had the right disc, I had a perfect line, all I needed was to zero in on the basket. And then finally Cha-ching! Sahweet. And even sweeter was the location of the basket. Its within eyesight of 4 different teeboxes, 5 including mine and most of those teeboxes were occupied by a lot of my disc golf acquaintances. Very cool indeed.

Luck? Skill? I believe there is some element of both in every ace no matter how far the shot or how skillful the golfer. Even the disc that goes wildly wrong and yet somehow manages to hit the chains still has an element of skill involved. Even if that skill was just the power to get that distance.

In my case based on how often I had thrown the perfect disc to that target I'd say mostly skill, but all. The disc could have hit the chains at the wrong angle and bounced out. A strong gust wind at exactly the wrong moment and it doesn't happen.

Good luck, keep 'em flying and you'll pop your Ace cherry.

My first and only ace was at Brent Hambrick Memorial. It was with a dx eagle. 293' open field type hole.

I was traveling in NC. Stopped by Elon to play a quick round. Bunch of middle school age kids sitting on picnic bench by first tee. They let me tee off so I could get my round in quick. 200 ft down hill with Elite-X Buzzz. Straight into chains. Kids all cheered....great experience. :thmbup:

Shillito Park #4 Right Position (~300') on New Years Eve 2006, I had been playing about 18 months at the time. Driving through the park and saw the two guys that got me started heading to hole #3 so I parked and caught them on the #3 tee. On #4 I threw a Star Wraith low that held a nice line straight into the basket, it was the first ace for any of us and we were shocked at first. I think I was afterwards present for both of their first aces.

Latest posts