• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your first disc golf course...

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Mine was Cedars of Lebanon in the early eighties...it didn't take. Fast forward to my second round at North Water Tower in 2007... OK, now I get it. What's your story on getting hooked, early on ?

Last edited:
Gillies Creek Park. Did not take at first with me either but I was such a bad sport that I stuck with it because I couldn't bear losing to my friends.
My first take-away was, let's just throw horse shoes and frisbees in the yard and save the walking.

Last edited:
Elk Grove Park - Elk Grove, CA with my two boys (13 and 10 at the time). I was hooked and played nearly every day for the next couple of years. It didn't take for the boys.

First disc golf course: Calvert Road Park, probably early 1980s. I was playing other sports, so disc golf was a once a year thing for the next two decades.

First Frisbee golf course: neighborhood pool object course, circa 1971. We played constantly.

Ellison Park in Rochester, NY when i was in grad school. instantly hooked and easily logged a triple digit number of rounds in the 3 years i lived there. started bagging courses right before i moved to Texas and i still regret not getting around to more WNY courses before moving. that said, it was moving to an area with 50+ courses (at the time) that really instilled the bagging bug.

Sedgley Woods in Fairmount Park Philadelphia. To sound cliche I was hooked instantly...I didn't realize it though. Played multiple other competitive sports so they took priority but I always threw when I could (started in 6th grade and couldn't drive or walk to a course). Once 10th grade [a drivers license] came around - boom.

Bayville DGC Virginia Beach, Virginia 1977, was my first round Sept 2019. I had visited the park the week prior for the first time, and the baskets caught my interest. So, I went out and bought unknowingly a Walmart frisbee and played my first round. It only took a few holes watching others that I had the wrong disc, and order online a Star Valkyrie. On that first round I thought the disc bags were backpack coolers for a favorite beverage and thought "cool" great idea. I now have played more than 400 rounds on Bayville and would be about six weeks later after that first round when I stumbled on DGCR looking for other courses to play.

Bayville DGC History:

There was a local facebook discussion on the history of Bayville. Robbie who helped installed Bayville:

-Bayville is not the first course on the East Coast, the baskets were diverted to Sedgley Woods in Philly. Bayville is likely the 2nd course on the East Coast, and maybe Ed Headrick 6th course overall.

-Since the original layout, only #16 to short basket minus the man-made mound is the sole survivor from several realignments due to safety concerns. I've been told of settled realignments in 2012 and 2016 at the old timer's bench.

-There are what I'll call relics on the course old pin positions that are now bashed in, recently came across another #9 fairway. A few old tee pads decaying and almost buried can be found on the course. To the left of the #1 long tee pad, and I think #17 long could be at least that old? Just a few weeks ago one of the ladies I see at the pool for my morning swim, told me she has played the course since 1980, and there were concrete tees that far back.

-The old timer's bench, some of these guys are now there just to play a few holes, or just chat. Some are now in their 80's. When I see them, I like to stop and chat as I finish my round. I like to ask about course history, they ask me about the course's I've bagged and what there like to play.

Favorite Hole: No. 7 long tee to any of the two baskets. Down slope dogleg left for whatever reason I can hit a Star Mamba on a turnover flip at least 8 of 10 times, just one of those holes I feel comfortable on.

Difficult Hole: #14 Pro/Gold toe boards par 3 about 475 feet need at least 300 feet to clear gap, woods, and canopy to an open basket long. Still waiting for my first par, and only hole with no par. Can't clear the overhanging canopy past the gaps or a tree hit. Next time downwind, a Star Shryke on the tee.

Last edited:
Played object Frisbee Golf as far back as 4th grade, usually making up the holes as we'd go.

Was working for the Goshen (In.) Parks and Recreation Department in 1989 as a teen with my brand-new driver's license. The parks leader told us about a brand-new "professional" course that had "metal devices that catch the Frisbees." I remember where I was sitting in the pavilion at Shanklin Park during our meeting when he told us about it, and I itched to get out there and see what this was all about...at Oxbow County Park. I had my Wham-O 165 in hand and shot over 120 strokes...I loved it but was always by myself or rarely saw others who also didn't really know what they were doing, and for like years.

It was a jungle of a course, especially in the first incarnation before they made it easier for the '96 worlds! the designer, PDGA #315, sold me a Stingray out of his garage for $6. It was the first year of the circle stamp. I missed the "amoeba" stamp by just a half year.

Here's a video I took of myself playing Oxbow in 1997, after I'd been bitten by the Disc Golf bug up in Lansing and returned home. I still wasn't very sophisticated yet, but here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyJlOuU6Eow&t

A couple of years later, I made it out to George Wilson Park in Mishawaka for my second course. There are many phantom old cement tees pointing nowhere there now that were used for now-defunct holes.

Grand Woods up in Lansing was my 3rd course, 7 years after first discovering Oxbow. It wasn't until there that I encountered pros/enthusiasts in a big club, the Capital City Renegades, and the obsession began in earnest there and then.

Last edited:
I worked overnight. A coworker and I often went somewhere immediately after work to get some exercise. Usually, this was batting practice or tennis. One morning, he suggested trying disc golf at Riverside (Saint Cloud). Some other guys at work played, and they wanted us to join them. By that afternoon, I had already purchased three discs and was going out as often as I could.

Played French Creek State Park in Elverson, PA on a youth group camping retreat back in 2012. I think we played with frisbees and I remember we stopped pretty quickly after we started. I didn't start playing until April 2020 and played there again officially this past August. That course is a doozy for a lefty backhand dominant player.

Great thread.

It was 2007. A year after I graduated high school in southeast Houston, TX. One of my friends had an apartment we used to all gather at to get stoned and drink heavily. On one of those days, I went over there and they had just got done playing a round of disc golf, something I was sorta familiar with but didn't know a lot about. They told me how much fun it was to go there and bring a cooler of beer and smoke a bunch of weed while throwing discs outside. Ok, cool.

I went with them the next time and had an absolute blast. My buddy got so drunk by the time we got to the 18th hole he had to be carried to the car by his 4'11 girlfriend. Yea, we were THOSE kind of people at the DG course. The absolute definition of the most horrible, loud, drunk, chuckers you could think of. I just want to apologize to the people who were actually trying to play rounds in peace at the Jack Brooks Gulf Meadows course from 2007 to 2009 (summers only lol).

Amazingly, I still have all my old discs from that era which include a pretty rare 1080 Radius putter which was my favorite one to putt with and I occasionally bag it but always end up taking it out after realizing I'll never get one again if I lose it. I also know for a fact I ordered them all on the interweb which I cannot recall any disc retail sites from that time.

EDIT: So for clarification, my first round was at Jack Brooks - Gulf Meadows. And I did eventually play the Cedar Hills course in 2010 but hated it because wooded courses were not my thing at the time which now is the opposite.

Last edited:
Great thread.

It was 2007. A year after I graduated high school in southeast Houston, TX. One of my friends had an apartment we used to all gather at to get stoned and drink heavily. On one of those days, I went over there and they had just got done playing a round of disc golf, something I was sorta familiar with but didn't know a lot about. They told me how much fun it was to go there and bring a cooler of beer and smoke a bunch of weed while throwing discs outside. Ok, cool.

I went with them the next time and had an absolute blast. My buddy got so drunk by the time we got to the 18th hole he had to be carried to the car by his 4'11 girlfriend. Yea, we were THOSE kind of people at the DG course. The absolute definition of the most horrible, loud, drunk, chuckers you could think of. I just want to apologize to the people who were actually trying to play rounds in peace at the Jack Brooks Gulf Meadows course from 2007 to 2009 (summers only lol).

LOL. We've all been there, I think? I neglected to mention that Hickory became more of a summer play once I went off to university. At university my friends and I would occasionally play this one because it was walkable from campus. We had lots of fun drinking, chucking discs and hitting the apartments, and interacting with the other students living in them.

Valley View Park in New Berlin WI was my first ever course. http://dgcour.se/807

This was back in 2003 or 2004. A year or two after graduating High School. I had never heard of disc golf before that day, loved it though. Like Dean, it was a great way to enjoy the outdoors while stoned :p.

I think I only played that course once while living down there. Several times since though. Abendschein Park and Milwaukee County Sports Complex DGC are where I played the most though. Good times, good times.

Latest posts