• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Your GoTo Speed 9/10 Driver

LastPageDG

So I'm trying to fill a crucial spot in my bag: A reliable speed 9 or 10 driver for straight flight with a reliable fade. Not talking Firebirds here obviously. Right now I'm going back and forth between a Lucid Escape and a Champ Thunderbird which I'm working on breaking in. I'm liking the Escape but wanted to get some other opinions as well.

Right now, mine is the C-line CD2, very reliable and forehands well too. It replaced my Pro Starfire "L".

Bagged an Escape for a while, but it was a bit too unpredictable for a control driver for me. Great glide, but it sucked in any kind of wind.

Axiom Wrath is what I carry for this slot. Very straight early with a reliable fade late in the flight.

I was a long time Eagle thrower and just switch to the Thief. They call it a speed 8 but goes just as far as my hatchets.

For me... PD, Starfire (more fade finish, and slightly more stable than my PD), Orc, and Valkyrie. Speed 9/10 is my preferred distance driver. I tried the Thunderbird, but I just felt much more comfortable with the PD/Starfire combo.

Proton volt since the day it was released and still flies stable. I used this mold as my distance driver for a whole season without anything faster. Wrath has a seasoned faster volt flavor to it so didnt make the bag. At speed 10 i now throw a tesla which handles wind and has a little more fade at 350'+

I used to throw the latitude striker and messed with a PD for a minute which both worked very well for what you describe.

Last edited:
I only recently started stepping up to speed 9 discs after a "discing down" period. I recently tossed a Millennium Q Orion LF in the bag to test it out. I don't have a ton of experience with it, but so far I am very impressed. It isn't a disc that you hear a ton about, but it is flying very straight for me with a reliable fade every time. Time will tell if this becomes a go-to for me, but I think it is definitely worth a look if you are exploring speed 9 options.

PD for me. Useful across its whole lifespan, and it can cover all shots from stable to almost meathook overstable in different plastics.

Star Orcs are fantastic. New runs start out beefy, then beat into a spot where you can really put power on them w/o fear of flipping them over (too far).

The Champ Thunderbird in my bag is starting to season into a nice spot, as well.

My older S-line PD Freak is right there now. Was a bit more stable new but now just dead straight with slight fade. I added a C-line now to do the o/s duty.

Orcs truly are a sleeper innova mold on here. I even forget about them but great mold and easy as hell to find used at a PIAS or online.

Orcs truly are a sleeper innova mold on here. I even forget about them but great mold and easy as hell to find used at a PIAS or online.

The Orc is my main driver, especially in those weird swirling winds where I have no idea what else to toss. Maybe not the biggest bomber out there, but for me it's very reliable.

Bought an star "X-out" last year at PIAS to try them out and loved it, went back again and stocked up on a few more.

I always chuckle when I hear/see all the supposed Orc throwers here and on FB. I NEVER see another one on the course, and when somebody asks what I threw and I tell them, I usually get a funny look.

I think it's the speed 10 thing....speed 10 ain't sexy.

Depending on what setup Im rolling with

9 - Saint, Hatchet, Valkyrie
10 - PD, Orc, Beast, TD, Interia

Orc is criminally underrated. New players have no idea that the Orc was the biggest and baddest of the highs peed drivers once upon a time (sheesh, it wasn't even all that long ago!) and is still a great disc. I think its just too close to the true max D drivers that it gets overlooked. Also, PD gets all the love in this speed class.

On the OP; I don't even bother with this slot anymore. I hadn't used anything in that range since the wraith came out until last fall. I hopped on the thunderbird bandwagon for a while, and RARELY threw them. MAYBE once a round, max. That gap is just so small for me that it serves very little purpose. I took the thunderbirds back out of the bag a little while back and have yet to missed them. On the rare occasion I need that shot between a destroyer and a teebird I can just throw a very overstable highspeed driver on hyzer, or throw a destroyer on a very low line to shorten its range. I'm actually finding that my consistency has gone up on those shots now that I'm throwing a big OS hyzer with a speed 12ish disc instead of a flat thunderbird shot

I hate myself for not improving my game, or getting in to the sport sooner. If I had, the gummy pearly PFN Orcs (5 of them) that I had would be MONEY now. I picked those up though, a few months after being introduced to disc golf and they were too much for my crappy skill level. Now that I'm comfortable with 9-10, some 11 speed drivers, I wish I had hung on to those.

Latest posts