• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Nightmare Hole

#8 Basil-Marella DGC - 550 ft par 3 with a 10 ft wide fairway lined with trees on the right and left that has a gradual s-shape to it - if you have a bad drive you're going to at least 5 it - I've +5,6,7 etc. the hole many times shamfully to say.

I HATE that hole. The hole that gets me is #5 at Parma. It's a love/hate thing. An amazing hole that beats my a$$ every time. A 250' tunnel shot that needs a slight anny to get you out of the woods, followed by a throw across a field with a blind drop that doglegs right to get in sight of the basket. It's a 474' hole that I've only 4'd once.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=3912&mode=media#

If someone can get that hole to show, you're tech skills are fantastic.

Right now its the duo of 5 and 6 at Chestnut Ridge. I've spent far too much time climbing down into and out of the that damn ravine. I'm too old for that nonsense. And I lost my beloved Flick down there.

I've also spent too much time repelling, yes repelling down that ravine to get your discs.:p

Hole #5 at Nevin is the closest to what I would consider a "nightmare" hole. I bet that hole is why the course is called "Nevin Nightmare".

Hole #18 at Renny Gold is pretty close too.

Fun thread! Played Rice Universtiy DGC the past couple of days and #5 has proved the trickiest for me. At 230' it should be a birdie opp, but I haven't put it in reasonable birdie range yet. The only real shot from the tee forces u to shoot high and to have a good swing to the right. I've tried some high RHBH annys to mixed effects. The shot seems to be a forehand with a good hook to the right, but it's problematic to use a stable driver at such a short length. Tricky hole!

1e0dd9e0.jpg

Looks like a thumber

Looks like a thumber

I guess if I could throw a decent one, that would be the shot! Mine always to fade out early and there is a big oak tree on the right to get past. Should I try with something under or overstable?

A more overstable disc should give you more d on a thumber and will turn and fade slower.... Maybe a grenade up and over too??

Hole #6 at Moraine State Park

Gold 934'
Blue 675
White 563

c0b60757.jpg

01e51c7d.jpg

From gold its a 1000' par 5 through a low and tight tunnels. If you get into the middle trees youre screwed. If you go off of the fairway youre screwed. It takes 3 real good low shots to even see the pin

Do you know how to throw a roller? It sure looks wide enough to throw one, if the grass isn't too bad.

Hole #11 at Tendick Nature Park, Saukville, WI.

b00d93a8.jpg

commonly referred to my friends and I as "Devils a$$hole" lol. It's a pretty good hole, just the fact that it's kind of hard to get it through the treeline.

Last edited:
Hole 6 at Idlewild - Burlington, KY
It is a par 5 but it is just nasty, off the tee is a slight hyzer into the first fairway with a splatter of trees to hit and then another 150' till the corkscrew of death that is a sharp curved right turn that is hard to anny. I have birdied it a few times but only only really good throws. Luckily the next three holes are relatively short and easy so you can regain composure if this hole eats you alive.

view_image.php

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=507&p=853b5f6a

view_image.php

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=507&p=853b5f6a

the images will not work...does this quick reply quick image button not work? (
)

Last edited:
I guess if I could throw a decent one, that would be the shot! Mine always to fade out early and there is a big oak tree on the right to get past. Should I try with something under or overstable?

I use a Predator for most of my thumbers.

Overstable. Flat Firebirds work the best for me when im lookin for distance but you can tweak any thumber to turn early, hold the line longer before turning, or set it up for a flare, huge skip.. bunch of possibilities... Kinda feel like i've got a really strong Thumber shot and actually choose to throw it over a backhand especially on shorter holes or even up shots where i'm out in the open just b/c i can put it right under the basket.... with practice Its really a strong shot to have.... I really need to practice throwing anny's from backhand... but.... :doh:

the less wrist action you give the disc on release (when throwing a thumber) the slower its gonna turn.

Overstable. Flat Firebirds work the best for me when im lookin for distance but you can tweak any thumber to turn early, hold the line longer before turning, or set it up for a flare, huge skip.. bunch of possibilities... Kinda feel like i've got a really strong Thumber shot and actually choose to throw it over a backhand especially on shorter holes or even up shots where i'm out in the open just b/c i can put it right under the basket.... with practice Its really a strong shot to have.... I really need to practice throwing anny's from backhand... but.... :doh:

the less wrist action you give the disc on release (when throwing a thumber) the slower its gonna turn.

Great info here, thanks! I guess I've never really felt the need to develop a thumber shot, but maybe if I had one, I'd use it more like u were saying. I'll definitely throw some practice shots to get the feel of it. And hopefully be able to park this hole with it! Will report back...

Hole 2 at Bellamy Park in Dover, NH! It's a line drive of 300ft, but there's a deep creek 100ft in crossing the fairway and the Bellamy river rushing along on the right side of the hole. It wouldn't be so bad if the smooth, packed dirt and pine needle fairway didn't slope disastrously to the right, so a disc that looks to land safe can easily roll or slide off of the 8ft cliff into the waters below. Oh and to exacerbate the situation there's low hanging branches to tip your disc to the right. The basket has been moved behind the large uprooted tree stump in the background. Oi Vey!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=336&p=7af5758b

Castle Hayne, NC near Wilmington.
Hole 15 has been eating my lunch.
It "looks like a left-handed dream setup, because the layout is a giant "U" that turns right, except that it's more like a blunt "V".
After the easy hyzer drive gets you down into the bottom of the "U or V", trying to get through the gap to give myself an approach to the basket is difficult. If you hyzer out, you're in jail. If you don't make the gap, you can't approach to the basket.
The second throw lines up for a righty anhyzer but becomes a very difficult lefty hyzer.
Part of the problem is that I just suck.