• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your PDGA 'tax' dollars at work (now hijack free)

Vegan Ray

Banned
From Board of Directors Spring Summit Minutes, Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA), May 13, 2010:
Summit Dinners by Rothstein
Rothstein feels that buying alcohol during summit dinners is inconsistent with our efforts and inappropriate to be purchased with members funds. Decker pointed out that we are a volunteer organization and the board members are using vacation time to be here.

MOTION (Rothstein/Feldberg)
Starting today, at summit meals, board members are responsible for picking up their own alcohol tab.
Yes: Feldberg, Korver, Rothstein
No: Bellinger, Decker, Gillis, Andrews
Motion Fails
Thanx Dave, Juliana, & Rick for at least trying to do the right thing, and shame on you to the others.

I wonder if some of these guys even play like Bob Decker who came up to me and Barsby during a round at 2008 Worlds and ;et us know more than once that he was the "PDGA President". After he left we looked at each other thinking "wtf he is the PDGA President?"

seems my other post was deleted....not sure how it was part of a thread hijack.

In my opinion, this is pretty ridiculous. A volunteer organization is simply that: you volunteer your time and (sometimes) money to get things done. Taking money from the people you're trying to help for frivolous things is NOT something the PDGA should be doing (or any other volunteer driven organization).

Think of it this way: Would you want your club officers taking your club dues and buying booze at their meetings? Most likely not, and I'm sure the club members would be really pissed off if they knew where their money was going.

my concern is if you can vote yourself money and free alcohol, are you honestly working on things to improve the organization? My knee-jerk reaction is no, and it won't stop at free alcohol. Next, the cab ride home will come out of membership fees. Then, that will be too inconvenient so the chair will vote for "company cars". Mr. Feldberg and the rest who stood up against free alcohol have displayed their desire to focus on the sport and organization first, instead of gaining personal entitlement.

Wow, we've hit yet another new low.

Volunteers who use vacation time from their real life jobs to be present at PDGA summits, who donate hours of their time every month for Board meetings, who donate countless hours on Board meeting action items and weighing resolutions that shape the future of the PDGA and our sport of disc golf, are now supposedly supposed to feel guilty about using $4 of membership money on a rum and coke at a summit dinner twice per year.

If you don't approve of the motions / decisions of your duly elected Board of Directors, then:
  • contact the BoD member directly and voice your opinion
  • wait until the next election and vote in another candidate who you do approve of
  • run for office yourself
  • if you are so unhappy with the PDGA, then go form your own national governing body and f*** off.

It also looks like the following is now surely warranted:

This message is hidden because Vegan Ray is on your ignore list.

Figured it wouldn't be too long until the PDGA apologists started chiming in, but I didn't think they'd lead off with their #1 seed. Sorry I touched a nerve by lifting the org's precious cloak of secrecy & pointing members & potential members to PDGA publications documenting how it spends its (I mean our) money.

Last edited:
Figured it wouldn't be too long until the PDGA apologists started chiming in, but I didn't think they'd lead off with their #1 seed. Sorry I touched a nerve by lifting the org's precious cloak of secrecy & pointing members & potential members to PDGA publications documenting how it spends its (I mean our) money.

Also crazy that he feels it is a new low when 3 board members seemed to feel just like us.

Jeff and Suzette all in one day! WOW

Wow, we've hit yet another new low.

Volunteers
  • contact the BoD member directly and voice your opinion
  • wait until the next election and vote in another candidate who you do approve of
  • run for office yourself
  • if you are so unhappy with the PDGA, then go form your own national governing body and f*** off.

It also looks like the following is now surely warranted:

I am actually thinking of running and possibly doing the State Coordinator thing.....and once I graduate I am seriously thinking of running for the BoD.

That last one seems to be your favorite line..........it may be easy for someone who never plays PDGA events but for someone who plays 30+ events a year deciding to not jion means $10 per event and being unable to play A-tiers.

TX has also had discussions about forming a series unique to the PDGA and I would be all for it......although I would still send the PDGA my $75 and $3-5 per event.

But is buying dinner with your money ok?

Just making sure where your imaginary line is drawn...

I see your point and I also see the other side:

Your side:

WHAT??? People take time out of their lives doing a job I must not be willing to do with little or no thanks and more likely a lot of grief and they want to have a drink!!????

Their side:

We just "wasted" 4 days of vacation from our real job and sat in a meeting for 9hrs, I really need a drink with dinner.

Me=neutral

That's the point of volunteering. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/volunteer

You are agreeing to do what it takes to help out. I volunteer to run events and organize things for our club. The PDGA is just a really big 'club' at this point. I'm spending my own vacation and a lot of hours helping organize our big PDGA B-Tier event next month. I volunteered to help, knowing that I will not be receiving any compensation for my efforts, other than seeing people enjoy themselves at the tournament.

You know you have to make sacrifices when stepping up for a volunteer position for an organization like the PDGA. These people know before hand that they will have to use their vacation and donate a lot of time to get to those meetings. In no way should a volunteer be looking to use funds for a club/organization to help themselves out. If a few $5 drinks is going to break these peoples banks, maybe they shouldn't have volunteered for such a time consuming position and thought about working some overtime.

note: It's different for some other not for profit organizations and charities. Many of those have paid executives, and there is money that is specifically set aside as business expenses that they can use toward things like that. The PDGA doesn't have high dollar paid executives.

I think it really depends on how much drinking is really going on. Are we talking a drink at dinner or a kegger after party with an open bar? If it's a kegger and open bar I may think about volunteering.

PDGA Board of Directors positions are unpaid. We are paying for their travel, meals, lodging, and apparently booze when they get together for their periodical 'summits', as well as sporadic other junkets throughout the course of a year.

Of the PDGA decisions a person might disagree with, this would be about number 17, 243 on my list of priorities. The cash position of the PDGA is $450,000+. Would not paying for drinks with dinner a few times a year improve it significantly?

It's the principle (and the members-be-damned attitude of entitlement), David. I can hear the discussion now:

Feldberg: "I'm thinking that our members' money may be better spent on growing the sport than on our dozens of Johnny Walker Blues at these summits."
Bellinger: "F*(& the members! If I'm gonna volunteer 30 seconds a year of my time to this 'sport', I'm gonna milk every dime out of those suckers I can."
Korver: "Don't you think it'd be a good idea to at least send a message that we're responsible stewards of the money that bright-eyed disc golfers believe they're shelling out for the SPORT, not the enrichment of a band of cronies."
Andrews: "Haha! That's a good one, little lady. We'll just bury these minutes so deep in our web page that none of those stoned-out rubes will ever find them. We're SOOOO good!"
Gillis: "Alright, that's settled. Anybody up for a bottle or two of Cristal? The org's buyin'!"

But why do you not care what they are eating or flying?

Should they be eating balogna sandwichs and taking greyhound??

Latest posts