• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your "Water Disc"....

Well after I lost a nice disc in a water hole at my local course. I started using a dx roc. lost it in there, started using a dx shark. Lost it in there. Lost my damn putter on a crazy up shot bounce off a tree in the opposite direction. Got another DX flattop roc and lost that **** in there! F***...right now I'm using a classic roc...

I don't use the dragon because it's very understable for me

i have a Lightning Standard #3 Slice because it's the only floater disc i've tried that i can throw 280+ straight. cheapo disc $6.99

mlt-slice3-std.jpg

if anyone has played Freedlander in Wooster, Ohio, i threw my #3 Slice and dead straight over the water 260' and parked it 6' from the pin... and i stink

a9dcabca_m.jpg

but keep in mind that my disc is a freak. it's only floated 7 out of 10 times... i've gotten it back from shallow waters 3 times. the other 7 times it floated nicely

Last edited:
Cheapest/most available plastic in the mold I would throw anyway.

This is typically what I do also. For instance, I used ESP Cyclones as my main driver. I'd throw a DX Gazelle at #15 at Deer Lakes over the pond. Lately I've been experimenting with just throwing my regular stuff though, and it does work better if you're willing to take the risk. Almost aced 15 the other day with my Meteor.

For shots where you're constantly flirting with OB/streams/etc where you can retrieve the disc, I'll throw a Fuse 90% of the time. Accurate disc with decent distance and very low fade. Point and shoot.

I bought a hydra cause I play a short place that has lots of water. But I used to have a DX Teerex that landed and rolled into the water that i couldn't find after 30 minutes.

I use a Dragon. I've only used it on hole 5 at my local course though, any other course I go to I use any other driver to just get over it. I dunno why I even carry the Dragon on courses I know I won't use it on.

I throw what I always throw. If I lose it, I have backups.

If you search other topics like this, you'll find that my answer has changed with time. I used to huk DX out over the water but now I'm usually pretty certain that I'll get it across so I don't fart around with plastic that I'm not used to.

I throw what I always throw. If I lose it, I have backups.

If you search other topics like this, you'll find that my answer has changed with time. I used to huk DX out over the water but now I'm usually pretty certain that I'll get it across so I don't fart around with plastic that I'm not used to.

Agreed...:thmbup: Otherwise, with different plastic+different shot=water hazard...

The only course I've played with water holes is Trinity Links, and those are short enough that I huk my soft magnet for 2 reasons,

1, it hyzer flips well, which is what both holes call for,

2, I hit pin with it saturday

I used to use my Dragon, thankfully I'm confident enough to use other discs (leopard/Valkyrie) over the water now. The irony was the Dragon under-stability was most likely to land me in the water, which I did a couple of times. Since i've used the others I haven't hit water yet... why oh why have i just put the "commentators curse" on myself :)

Dragons were really hard to get for us here (the supplier who delivered to SA was always out of stock), I ordered 3 when i got the chance, 2 have NEVER been thrown, but reckon they might make good starter discs for the daughter/girlfriend when they start playing, light, but then again I have a 146 gram leopard which would probably serve as a better driver.

I still carry the Dragon in my bag,any noobs going over water can borrow it. And their will be that day I have a tailwind where it occurs to me the Dragon might be a good choice.

Unfortunately I do not have a water disc because I know if I carry it, I am going to use it as a crutch and thus not throw it to its potential. More often than not I just reach for a normal disc and just play my game. While I have numerous courses with water hazards, none of them scary me.

Now that I have said that, in the last two months I have lost a Star SM Roc, X-Link Firm Ascent (twice), and a dyed Champion Sidewinder to water hazards. At least someone was nice enough to fish out my Ascents and return it.

I am ready to break down and buy a Dragon. I am pretty sure I am confident enough to be able to throw it without flipping it. Even so, maybe if I keep it mind that if I flip it, I will flip it away from the water.

Anything I don't mind losing, if there is water around my disc is most likely to end up in it!

I throw Rocs at water. Rocs Sink.

I also have some overstable driver I will throw over water, mostly because of their predictable fade at the end. I am thinking of getting some Pro D and DX stuff to throw over water as well.

I broke down and since they were on sale purchased two new Dragons today. Picked up a new Champion Sidewinder as well. Last Sunday I lost a nice Champion Sidewinder in the cesspool surrounding Hole 7 at Blue Ribbon Pines. I immediately purchased another Sidewinder, but there is something about the grip of a dyed Champion disc compared to a non-dyed disc. A professionally dyed disc just feels more grippy. I played a very quick round between the official rounds during Sunday's tournament but I could not break the grip in on the new disc. The new dyed Sidewinder I picked up today has the grip I am looking for. Hopefully I will not lose that in the water as well.

Although with winter approaching, it might be a while before I play any holes with open water.

I throw Rocs at water. Rocs Sink.

I also have some overstable driver I will throw over water, mostly because of their predictable fade at the end. I am thinking of getting some Pro D and DX stuff to throw over water as well.

One of the best and most daring throws I ever had over water was with a DX Wraith I had found 10 minutes earlier. There is something about hitting the perfect line when you have no fear of what could happen.

Hole 8 at Shakopee, MN (Lions Park I) is 600+ around the edge of a man-made pond. There is a small strip of land on the opposite bank between the pond and the street that if you can hit it, you can shave off two throws from your score. The ideal place to land is about 340-370 feet from the tee. A DX Wraith with a slight hyzer glides over the water perfectly, landing in the 30 foot wide strip of land, putting you only 180-200 feet from the basket.

A LOT of players have that one "Water Disc" in their bag for those certain general water shots. RIGHT?!? Whats your current "Water Disc" and why? Or do you just shoot for it with the "I got this attitude"??? What you got?!?

a dx roc for straight or left, dx wraith for anny's.

only dx plastic i have actually...

Latest posts