• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your worst day.

I lost 2 discs in 1 day on the same hole during 2 different rounds. Though I did end up getting them back like 2 months later.

So I was right about that (couldn't remember if it was a par six or I thought it should be), I remembered something about a par six, which I had never seen before. I couldn't see why the designers justified the lack of a playable line by assigning a par 6 to a 600 some odd foot hole. Is there any other par 6 in disc or ball golf? This was the only time I had seen it ever.

I have only played 150 courses but that is the only par 6 i've ever seen. If you look at the course info on here it calls it a par 5.

I've had plenty of embarrassing scores from when I first started playing. Then for a while I was happy playing bogey-golf, like +18. I've been able to get down to an average of +3 to +8 on most rounds. A few months ago, after a week of heavy play and with a sore shoulder, I played a new course nearby for the first time with a few dudes who were way better than I am. I wasn't embarrassed at being the worst player there, but I WAS embarrassed at just HOW much worse I played than normal. First time at a new course plus a sore shoulder and I was back at bogey golf or worse for the first time in years. Very humbling.

My worst single shot was at my first tournament. I had a drive that put me out of my comfort zone and when the disc left my hand it went promptly into the tee marker at the front of the tee pad. Only mulligan I used that day.

Shortly after i began playing, I knew that I had resolved the old archer vs. arrow debate and it was definitely the arrow. I had an Orc that was basically telepathic. It knew what I wanted it to do and understood me in a way my other discs did not.

It was with that in mind that I stepped up to the 270' water carry with the Orc in hand. I studied the trees on the far bank and felt supremely confident that the disc would easily avoid anything that might threaten to knock it back into the water.

I did the weird, crow hop run-up I was into at the time and let fly at almost a full 90 degrees right of my intended target. The Orc hit a tree on the NEAR side of the bank and fluttered about 60' from the tee and promptly sank.

I grabbed my bag from the tee and and ran up a peninsula that jutted out into the water to see if I could catch a glimpse of the Orc somewhere in the depths. I leaned over to look into the water. It was at that moment that my bag, having not had the top pocket zipped before i grabbed it, decided to release my car keys which trickled off the top of my head and then also fell into the water and sank. Despite them falling into the water literally right in front of me, I never found them again. I had to bum a ride to the house for a key and then have my wife drive me back to the course for the car.

Also I have thrown lots of other bad shots.

So I was right about that (couldn't remember if it was a par six or I thought it should be), I remembered something about a par six, which I had never seen before. I couldn't see why the designers justified the lack of a playable line by assigning a par 6 to a 600 some odd foot hole. Is there any other par 6 in disc or ball golf? This was the only time I had seen it ever.

There is one par 6 at the Lucky 8 in Lavalette, WV. Going off of the hole info, I believe it's hole 12. The short tee is listed as a par 5 at 518 ft, but the long tee (the one we played) is a par 6 at somewhere over 600 ft. And let me tell you, it's legit. It's kind of in the shape of a 7 and the entire hole is very heavily wooded. You start off throwing through a 6 ft tunnel, avoid the hill sloping down to the right, curve right and make it around a mando on the upper right section of the 7, then throw uphill through more trees, through a double mando, then downhill towards the basket, which I believe sits behind a big tree. All of this, while still having a clear and fair (even if incredibly tight) fairway.

Johnny (course designer) tells people, "If you can get a 4, I'll change it to a 5." Pretty sure no one's gotten a 4 on it yet. Maybe not even him, and he's a world champ. I was playing particularly well that day and was super happy about my 7 on that hole. Happiest I've ever been for a 7 matter of fact. :D

Last edited:
Shortly after i began playing, I knew that I had resolved the old archer vs. arrow debate and it was definitely the arrow. I had an Orc that was basically telepathic. It knew what I wanted it to do and understood me in a way my other discs did not.

It was with that in mind that I stepped up to the 270' water carry with the Orc in hand. I studied the trees on the far bank and felt supremely confident that the disc would easily avoid anything that might threaten to knock it back into the water.

I did the weird, crow hop run-up I was into at the time and let fly at almost a full 90 degrees right of my intended target. The Orc hit a tree on the NEAR side of the bank and fluttered about 60' from the tee and promptly sank.

I grabbed my bag from the tee and and ran up a peninsula that jutted out into the water to see if I could catch a glimpse of the Orc somewhere in the depths. I leaned over to look into the water. It was at that moment that my bag, having not had the top pocket zipped before i grabbed it, decided to release my car keys which trickled off the top of my head and then also fell into the water and sank. Despite them falling into the water literally right in front of me, I never found them again. I had to bum a ride to the house for a key and then have my wife drive me back to the course for the car.

Also I have thrown lots of other bad shots.

Ouch! I've never had anything remotely that bad happen on the course.

There is one par 6 at the Lucky 8 in Lavalette, WV. Going off of the hole info, I believe it's hole 12. The short tee is listed as a par 5 at 518 ft, but the long tee (the one we played) is a par 6 at somewhere over 600 ft. And let me tell you, it's legit. It's kind of in the shape of a 7 and the entire hole is very heavily wooded. You start off throwing through a 6 ft tunnel, avoid the hill sloping down to the right, curve right and make it around a mando on the upper right section of the 7, then throw uphill through more trees, through a double mando, then downhill towards the basket, which I believe sits behind a big tree. All of this, while still having a clear and fair (even if incredibly tight) fairway.

Johnny (course designer) tells people, "If you can get a 4, I'll change it to a 5." Pretty sure no one's gotten a 4 on it yet. Maybe not even him, and he's a world champ. I was playing particularly well that day and was super happy about my 7 on that hole. Happiest I've ever been for a 7 matter of fact. :D

That's the "question mark" hole out there right? I've always wanted to play that course and meet Sias. My buddies from Charlotte who know Johnny tell me there is no cooler guy in disc golf. He makes everyone throwing premium plastic look like chumps with how he flings those DX oldies.

One year played in the Highs Plains Challenge, an amazing A-tier event in Colorado if you ever have the chance, which an extremely long wooded course. 1 par 5, 3 par 4s, all par 3s are 300'+, 21 holes in all. This tournament takes place in late June, where the temperature is normally in the high 90's. This particular year, not only was there long holes, high temps, but BUGS. Ungodly amounts of gnats and mosquitoes. So many that most players were wearing bug netting over their faces the entirety of the round. (I still have my netting in my bag, just in case) Needless to say, the tournament was a grueling grind.

After 2 rounds, I had posted my best scores ever on this course, with one of my rounds being my highest rated round to date, I was sitting in first by 3 stroke lead. Started the final round with a par, birdie, birdie, birdie, par. No one on my card had done any better than par on the previous hole. For whatever reason, this was when my game decided to disappear. Went 5, 8, 7, 6, 5, 6, 8 on the next six holes. Now I begin to see that I have not only lost my lead but have dropped to third. I decide "it's time to start playing for real." Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not playing my game, trying to push for shots I've never hit, and just about bogeyed the rest of the course.

When scores were finalized and counted, dropped from 1st to 12th. They paid out 10. The saddest part was if I had just kept my composure and played my game, could have stayed in third. It sucks being the guy that people come up to you, with the sad head nod, and say, "Heard what happened out there today. You bummed?" Took all my composure to not snap at them. Lesson in humility, composure, and being true to one's self.

That's the "question mark" hole out there right? I've always wanted to play that course and meet Sias. My buddies from Charlotte who know Johnny tell me there is no cooler guy in disc golf. He makes everyone throwing premium plastic look like chumps with how he flings those DX oldies.

That's the one. It's been a few years since I played it, but really enjoyed it. And ya, Johnny's a great guy. I don't know if he still throws the same stuff, but for the longest time, it was all white DX plastic.

I've been to Sias' course and I'll add another "he's a great guy" to this... I can't remember another course with a cemetery on it. It plays as OB so...really, don't go OB.

I've been to Sias' course and I'll add another "he's a great guy" to this... I can't remember another course with a cemetery on it. It plays as OB so...really, don't go OB.

There's actually a 19th century cemetery on my course, hence the name graveyard hill dgc. It doesn't come into play as it's technically owned by the local historical society, but you walk through it between holes.

There's actually a 19th century cemetery on my course, hence the name graveyard hill dgc. It doesn't come into play as it's technically owned by the local historical society, but you walk through it between holes.

I work in Bloomfield, I'm just curious is the course easy to find? What road is it off of?

My last sanctioned tourney was at the old NE Creek layout in Jax, NC, probably 2010 or 2011.
Had just a horrible round, played poorly, hit trees and road signs, only bright spot was an off-hand forehand went in from about 110'.
Kept thinking how much more fun I could have if I were cleaning the garage. If you're playing DG and you'd rather be cleaning the garage...that's bad.
Two-day tourney, so I sent the TD a note saying that I wouldn't be back for the second day.

My worst day was the first round after a herniated disc. I expected my game to suck but I was in so much pain that I thought that was my last round ever. (Yeah I pushed it too fast.) Fast forward to today, I still haven't regained my distance but I'm still having fun. And in every round there's always a few shots that make me smile.

Kept thinking how much more fun I could have if I were cleaning the garage. If you're playing DG and you'd rather be cleaning the garage...that's bad.
:eek: That is bad!
Not in a tourney, but I have had rounds where I wished I was doing something else; I pushed on for the exercise, and there was no other exercise that would be preferrable...

Latest posts