• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

youtube vids

Depends on your point of view I guess. I'm sure a lot of people like them. To me, I played league at a pitch and putt for several years. For eight weeks there would be a dozen or so Aces hit. Multiply that by three leagues a year and figure five years, that's something like 180 aces. A lot of those I watched go in. After not too long you understand that it's cool for the guy who hit it if he was in the Ace pool, otherwise it's not all that special. In St. Louis the saying is "White Birch Aces don't count" becasue the holes are short. There is a general understanding that the Aces there are not really impressive.

Even if I did hit a bombing Ace and it happened to be caught on video, I would not post it in a public forum. Really, who cares? It's cool for me, and I'd like a copy of it. Otherwise I don't know why anyone else would want to see it. It's not like a hole-in-one in golf. Aces are pretty common. Most disc golfers have a few. If every disc golf Ace from today got posted, we would crash youtube.

Cubby gets a pass IMO becasue he started it. His videos were really popular and got a lot of attention way back when, and that got a lot of exposure for the sport. In the end it's pretty lame, but overall it was good for the sport. After Cubby? Well, it just pretty lame. It's just a copy of what somebody else already did.

So for me, the videos are lame. The shots are not special, and they are not in competition so there is no pressure. I don't look at them unless somebody posts them here with a "you gotta see this" teaser, and then when I do watch I wonder why I had to see that.

That being said, I don't go to youtube and leave mocking comments. Like I said, I'm sure some people like them. I'm just not one of them.

there are so many fake videos on youtube that people tend to be skeptical whether it's dg or something else

I like to watch alot of the ace videos but it lacks its luster when people are setting a camera up behind a 180 foot hole and throwing drivers sidearm at it until they hit it. Then they get super excited about it which cracks me up.

After you hit enough aces, you lose excitement. I've had it happen to me and have seen others in the same boat. However, those first few are pretty exciting.

Me and my friends have been filming rounds here and there for over a decade now, and I still get a kick out of watching one of us hit an ace. Hope I never get to the point where they don't excite me!

Holey Moley, that bot is a true necromancer. A practitioner of dark arts long thought forgotten, here to usher in a new age of chaos. Almost 13 years to the day and actually bothered to set a profile picture. What a guy.

I can skip the videos. What I can't skip are the groups that sit on an easy hole and throw their bag over and over and over trying to ace. Hopefully people won't start taking videos when they piss without getting any on the seat, because I'm sure that would take off, too.

I've been playing for almost 10 years now, logged over 1200 rounds on my local 18 hole course, and have yet to score an ace. So, it would be a very big deal for me but I wouldn't post a video on youtube.

After you hit enough aces, you lose excitement. I've had it happen to me and have seen others in the same boat. However, those first few are pretty exciting.

Me and my friends have been filming rounds here and there for over a decade now, and I still get a kick out of watching one of us hit an ace. Hope I never get to the point where they don't excite me!

Here are both sides of the coin. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a total of 8 aces since I started playing. I nearly hit 2 in the same round the other day, Holes 1 and 3 at Hiller Park from the Middle Tees, and the feeling of excitement still wells up when you know it is going to be close. I hope I never lose that feeling no matter how many times I hit.

My shortest, and first Ace was during a Discraft AceRace back in 2011. 140 feet.

My longest and last Ace was October 22, 2018, on Hole 13 at North Georgia Canopy Tours (the hole after the Chicken Coop). 315 feet. I'm not likely to ever achieve anything like that throw ever again, but it was so sweet when it hit dead center chains. (Westside Tournament Northman - still in my bag today.)

YT doesn't always show the truth. Even Simon Lizotte has admitted in some of his videos to throwing multiple shots from a tee and, when one finally goes in, calling it an ace.

My opinion/belief is that it is only the first try that counts....if you miss and throw a second shot, or third..., and make it....that's not an ace. Think of it this way....if it was in serious play (tournament, league, whatever), would it count on your scorecard as an ace?

I think people get tired/sceptical of some of the ace throw videos. There are some where there's obviously no one else around to witness it.....how many tries did the thrower take? Then there's the ones where the reaction to the ace seems staged...again, how many throws did it take?

First shot ace on the hole = ace

Any other shot from that tee during that same round that goes in = "cubby" ace

I would never pay someone for 51 club on a second shot "cubby" ace. Just another way to look at it.

As far as DG YT videos (outside tourney rounds, which I will watch whatever I come across usually), I watch pretty much all Simon videos, sometimes other pros (Eagle, Casey, etc) videos, and pretty much all In The Bag videos I come across. Idk why, I just really like ITB videos, as I spend a good amount of time thinking/analyzing/etc disc bag building philosophies. Something I get enjoyment out of, especially during snow season.

I think it would be cool to see a pro post a quick ITB video for each of the bigger events they play in (before or after). Just to see the adaptation/evolution. Shrugs.

But with ITB vids, keep it around 10 minutes… 15+, 20+ is never necessary. Show some shots too!

YT doesn't always show the truth. Even Simon Lizotte has admitted in some of his videos to throwing multiple shots from a tee and, when one finally goes in, calling it an ace.

My opinion/belief is that it is only the first try that counts....if you miss and throw a second shot, or third..., and make it....that's not an ace. Think of it this way....if it was in serious play (tournament, league, whatever), would it count on your scorecard as an ace?

I think people get tired/sceptical of some of the ace throw videos. There are some where there's obviously no one else around to witness it.....how many tries did the thrower take? Then there's the ones where the reaction to the ace seems staged...again, how many throws did it take?

The issue with this mentality is a TON of disc golfers don't play by these rules.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's more people out there not keeping score than vice versa.

A lot of more casual people I've played with don't track score, and empty their bag on ace runs. For them, if their first throw goes in, or their 10th goes in, it's just as exciting for them, and the same score goes down on their scorecard (nothing!).

I've seen people try to rain on their parade. Someone throws four tee shots on a par 3 ace run and sinks #4, and someone says "nice bogie."

I say let folks enjoy themselves. Who cares if some 700 rated player calls their third tee shot in an unscored casual round an ace? It doesn't affect the sanctity of the sport.

Holey Moley, that bot is a true necromancer. A practitioner of dark arts long thought forgotten, here to usher in a new age of chaos. Almost 13 years to the day and actually bothered to set a profile picture. What a guy.

iu

Personally, I don't care if someone wants to call their 23rd attempt an ace. It's part of their journey and doesn't affect me.

I also think that putting out heavily edited videos to make it look like you're an amazing disc golfer is kind of sad and pretty goofy. But, that's my journey and shouldn't affect anyone else.

-shrug-

That's one of the reasons why I never take a 2nd drive - I'd be kicking myself if it goes in because it would not an ace. The other reason is I am likely to forget I threw more than one and leave it in the fairway. Happened way too often so now that's my M.O.

My rule for me is I'm either playing disc golf or I'm practicing. If I'm practicing and it goes in on first throw, I don't consider it an "ace".

I also think that putting out heavily edited videos to make it look like you're an amazing disc golfer is kind of sad and pretty goofy. But, that's my journey and shouldn't affect anyone else.

Does anyone do that these days? I saw a dude doing cubby ace style videos with a Tilt but he was upfront about what he was doing. Don't really keep up with dg videos in general though.

The issue with this mentality is a TON of disc golfers don't play by these rules.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's more people out there not keeping score than vice versa.

A lot of more casual people I've played with don't track score, and empty their bag on ace runs. For them, if their first throw goes in, or their 10th goes in, it's just as exciting for them, and the same score goes down on their scorecard (nothing!).

I've seen people try to rain on their parade. Someone throws four tee shots on a par 3 ace run and sinks #4, and someone says "nice bogie."

I say let folks enjoy themselves. Who cares if some 700 rated player calls their third tee shot in an unscored casual round an ace? It doesn't affect the sanctity of the sport.

If a person wants to call it an ace, that's fine....just admit to how many throws it took. Claiming an ace and making it sound like it was your first throw is just wrong.

Latest posts