• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

zj1002 gets all literary

Great read. There are other things I need to work on first, but that's something to keep in mind once I get there.

that's pretty cool. it might explain why I throw annys harder than hyzers.. because my reach back on an anny is like that but on a hyzer its flat or hyzer the whole way

that's pretty cool. it might explain why I throw annys harder than hyzers.. because my reach back on an anny is like that but on a hyzer its flat or hyzer the whole way

Almost all my distance drives start either flat or with the disc tilted downward. As long as I keep a consistent plane I can manipulate the anhyzer,flat,hyzer angle when I open up in the power zone. I think thats the one thing I wish I covered was planes and angles. If you start swooping or dipping and don't keep a consistent plane it will lead to some funky throws.

Looks like you got your next topic then ;)

giphy.gif

I can verify this technique works. I always struggled to get the nose down on flat and anhyzer throws until I found this technique. I know Blake from DGR discouraged it because it can lead to an increase in grip locks and wrist roll (causing turn and burns), and I've found that to be the case. But the trade-off has been worth it to get the nose down since I can't seem to be able to do it with a flat reach back. I typically only throw stable/overstable discs with the tilted reach back because of the wrist roll issue...anyone have any suggestions on that?

Wrist roll is actually pretty easy to fix. Put it in your head that you want your hand to stay in the hand shake position (upright if you were to open the hand) through the follow-through. If you roll it, it'll be palm up in the follow through - palm up is bad. Just put some focus on leading with the back of your hand through the follow through.

What's a ZJ? ;)

Although really, this is kind of an interesting article... not sure what I can take away from this other than I need to keep working on things :eek:

I can verify this technique works. I always struggled to get the nose down on flat and anhyzer throws until I found this technique. I know Blake from DGR discouraged it because it can lead to an increase in grip locks and wrist roll (causing turn and burns), and I've found that to be the case. But the trade-off has been worth it to get the nose down since I can't seem to be able to do it with a flat reach back. I typically only throw stable/overstable discs with the tilted reach back because of the wrist roll issue...anyone have any suggestions on that?
Tilt your body for hyzer.

Tilt your body for hyzer.
No, I didn't mention anything about throwing hyzer. I'm talking about telegraphing anhyzer to flat, which is what zj's article is about. With this technique, I assume the wrist is going to have to roll from anhyzer to flat at some point. I've found it difficult to get completely flat at release.

Last edited:
No, I didn't mention anything about throwing hyzer. I'm talking about telegraphing anhyzer to flat, which is what zj's article is about. With this technique, I assume the wrist is going to have to roll from anhyzer to flat at some point. I've found it difficult to get completely flat at release.
Neither did I. You need to add hyzer from your body and/or pronate your arm at release.

I wouldn't call it a roll but there is some manipulation.

You can try it at home. Grab a disc. Hold the disc with the inside titled down, and at your right pec. Make sure your elbow is pointed forward at the target. Now uncoil your forearm with the inside still facing downward. If you hold onto to it through the hit, the disc is now on a hyzer. Its useful for understanding and feeling how long you need to be holding on to the disc. I think this is why BlakeT was never a big fan of throwing like this, because its a shortcut on the arc.

Last edited:
Neither did I. You need to add hyzer from your body and/or pronate your arm at release.
Thanks for clarifying. My body is definitely hyzer when I'm throwing flat or hyzer. I don't think that's the problem.

I wouldn't call it a roll but there is some manipulation.

You can try it at home. Grab a disc. Hold the disc with the inside titled down, and at your right pec. Make sure your elbow is pointed forward at the target. Now uncoil your forearm with the inside still facing downward. If you hold onto to it through the hit, the disc is now on a hyzer. Its useful for understanding and feeling how long you need to be holding on to the disc. I think this is why BlakeT was never a big fan of throwing like this, because its a shortcut on the arc.
Thanks, that gives me a better understanding of what's happening. I can see why you say it's timing dependent, I think my timing is slightly off when I occasionally turn and burn it.

What is the impact of shortcutting the arc? Does it limit distance potential?

Latest posts