• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 meter rule ... ranting on FB

I've lived in NY and CO. Never had to deal with the 2 meter rule until I played The Memorial. I thought it was a complete bullsh*t rule. It's as random a penalty as you can have. 50 people in front of you can hit the tree and be fine. Your throw is a penalty though...

The main place that I think of that it comes in to play where I play regularly is Keriekes at the Am Champs at Bowling Green (and probably any other tourney that uses that course). Here it isn't as flukey, the tall cedar trees are nicknamed 'velcro' trees, if you take a high crash route, be prepared to deal with the consequences, if you hit one of the cedar trees high, it's likely you'll be taking a penalty, and possible you might not find the disc, or be able to get it down. This hazard presents itself all over the course and must be taken into account on nearly every drive. Seems to be a pretty good use of the rule to me..

Agreed, seldom used since I started playing just four years ago, but makes sense at Kereiakes, and at my friend Greg's course (Cedar Sentinels). He named it that way for a reason, and decided in his inaugural tourney to implement the rule.

I think of it a little like a risk/reward green... when you know the rule is in effect, you have a choice: keep as many shots as you can below 2 meters so you'll never have a penalty :eek:, or choose a line that risks getting stuck up high. Tricky line shaping, sometimes. My trouble is I don't always execute the low line I'm aiming for. Since I sometimes stink at it. :wall: I vote skill. I definitely have played with a talented pro or two who make it look like a skill, anyway...

So if there's no 2m rule, how does a player play & score a disc 15ft up a tree? is the new lie for the next shot the same as if you're playing with the 2m rule, just with no penalty stroke added?

So if there's no 2m rule, how does a player play & score a disc 15ft up a tree? is the new lie for the next shot the same as if you're playing with the 2m rule, just with no penalty stroke added?

yup, you just use the rule of verticality.

While it's true you mark straight down from the suspended disc to the playing surface, there is currently no general "rule of verticality".

What they said---or, to put it another way, the same as a disc stuck 5' up a tree.

Yes. It's covered under its own rule that has nothing to do with 2 meters: 802.02 C

yup, you just use the rule of verticality.

That's not the rule of verticality. Rule of verticality (which incidentally doesn't exist as a term in the book) refers specifically to the notion that OB lines represent a vertical plane. As such, you take your 1 meter of relief from an OB line based on a perpendicular line drawn from the plane, not necessarily the line on the ground. This is important when there is an immediate incline or decline of the playing surface away from the line.

Penalizing players for getting their discs stuck way up trees is a good idea. If you don't like it, brush up on your control or reanalyze your personal risk/reward flow chart.

I am not sure what a 2 meter rule is since I am a newbie to this sport. Does it apply to hitting obstacles above 2 meters or just going over out of bounds areas ? My question is how does it apply to any shot taken from a hillside of any large distance above areas where the disc can fade back into play ??

I am not sure what a 2 meter rule is since I am a newbie to this sport. Does it apply to hitting obstacles above 2 meters or just going over out of bounds areas ? My question is how does it apply to any shot taken from a hillside of any large distance above areas where the disc can fade back into play ??

If your disc gets stuck in a tree 2m or over above the ground it is considered OB and you get a penalty stroke. Play from directly under where it was in the tree.

History & perspective lesson: It was once universally applied. Then TDs were allowed to waive it. Now, it does not apply, but TDs are allowed to institute it, for an entire course or for certain obstacles.

It applies to getting stuck more than 2 meters high, not just hitting something.

It is very popular on the West Coast, and not seen much elsewhere.

And there are people passionately for or against it, largely based on where they live and what is customary there.

Around here it is at least. I've never played in an event, sanctioned or otherwise were it's been in effect. But like others have said, apparently in Cali they cling to it pretty hard.

It's always been in effect at Veteran's Park in Arlington, TX.

Penalizing players for getting their discs stuck way up trees is a good idea. If you don't like it, brush up on your control or reanalyze your personal risk/reward flow chart.

Solid argument there. Lets see what else we can apply that to:
Penalizing players for landing on narrow concrete paths is a good idea. If you don't like it, brush up on your control or reanalyze your personal risk/reward flow chart.

Penalizing players for landing outside the fairway is a good idea. If you don't like it, brush up on your control or reanalyze your personal risk/reward flow chart.

Penalizing players for landing IN the fairway is a good idea. If you don't like it, brush up on your control or reanalyze your personal risk/reward flow chart.

Penalizing players for hitting the chains is a good idea. If you don't like it, brush up on your control or reanalyze your personal risk/reward flow chart.

Yep, solid argument, that you can apply to any circumstance that can possible happen during a round of disc golf. :doh: